Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50v2 won't sync with RBR50 router: "Config Sync" issue

mkasznel
Aspirant

RBS50v2 won't sync with RBR50 router: "Config Sync" issue

About two weeks ago, my Orbi RBS50 satellite stopped working overnight for no apparent reason. Tried power cycling both the satellite and my RBR50 router (as well as my Nighthawk CM1200 modem), restored each to factory settings, moved the satellite closer to the router (about 10 feet away) and attempted to re-sync, but no success. The satellite itself would light blue on top to indicate it had synced, but it would either appear in the app as magenta (disconnected) or would not appear at all.

I logged into the online dashboard and saw a "Config Sync" message under Backhaul Status. A little digging suggested that it could be a firmware issue; my RBR50 is on v. 2.70.70, but the satellite is still on v.2.35. However, I'm unable to update the firmware in the app or in the online dashboard (the satellite either won't appear in the Update Firmware section, or it will appear but time out whenever an automatic or manual update is attempted.

This post here seemed to most closely match my issue: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Backhaul-status-config-sync/td-p/1604463. Per this suggestion, I obtained my satellite's IP address from the online dashboard and entered that into my browser in an attempt to manually update the firmware. However, the request simply times out each time I try, regardless of which computer I try.

This is actually my second satellite; my original was still within the first year of purchase so Netgear sent me a new one. However, the second one is having the exact same issues as the first. My RBR50 router continues to work just fine, but I'm at my wit's ending trying to get this to work. Any advice I can get would be immensely appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS50v2 won't sync with RBR50 router: "Config Sync" issue

The RBS needs to be at some version of FW as the RBR. 

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite. Already have the same RBS FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR. 

Message 2 of 6
mkasznel
Aspirant

Thanks for replying. I used your instruction to update the firmware so that both the RBR50 router and RBS50 satellite are running off firmware V. 2.7.1.60. I then factory reset the satellite again. However, I'm still getting the same "Config Sync" backhaul message in the dashboard, and the satellite still won't sync to the router wirelessly.

Interestingly, I tried connecting the satellite to the router directly via ethernet and it worked just fine; the satellite appeared on the network map of the Orbi app, backhaul status changed to "Good," and devices started connecting to the satellite instead of the router. When I unplugged it and tried syncing wirelessly again, though, I continued to get the same errors above. So it seems like it's specifically an issue connecting the two wirelessly (which was the whole reason I bought this thing in the first place!)

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The RBS needs to be at some version of FW as the RBR. 

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite. Already have the same RBS FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR. 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the RBR and RBS this time as setup from scratch. Bring the RBS near the RBR or in same room. Press the sync button on the RBS the RBR. 

Message 4 of 6
mkasznel
Aspirant

Hello - sorry for taking so long to reply, got caught up with work!

I appreciate your help. I factory reset both the router and satellite (and also my Nighthawk modem just for good measure), put them in the same room, and set up the network from scratch. Unfortunately, I'm still having the same issue; satellite shows up in the desktop dashboard, but backhaul status is still "Config Sync," satellite does not appear in the Orbi app under Network map, and devices won't connect to the satellite via Wifi. Devices I hardwire to the satellite don't get network connection.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's something wrong with the router? The router still works as a standalone device, but between my original satellite and my new one obtained via RMA (after swapping out the old one), this is two satellites with the same exact issue. 😕

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try downgradng to v16 on the RBR and RBS and see...

@mkasznel wrote:

Hello - sorry for taking so long to reply, got caught up with work!

I appreciate your help. I factory reset both the router and satellite (and also my Nighthawk modem just for good measure), put them in the same room, and set up the network from scratch. Unfortunately, I'm still having the same issue; satellite shows up in the desktop dashboard, but backhaul status is still "Config Sync," satellite does not appear in the Orbi app under Network map, and devices won't connect to the satellite via Wifi. Devices I hardwire to the satellite don't get network connection.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's something wrong with the router? The router still works as a standalone device, but between my original satellite and my new one obtained via RMA (after swapping out the old one), this is two satellites with the same exact issue. 😕

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7