× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Basic Help - VLAN Config with Router DHCP-DNS

dtmoc
Aspirant

Basic Help - VLAN Config with Router DHCP-DNS

Hoping I can get some insight and this is the FIRST time I have looked at VLAN options.

Switch is

JGS516PE - 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE Smart Managed Plus Switch

The scenario is a small network with a front end router supplying DHCP and DNS. I tried setting up ports on the switch as per attached but the computer on VLAN 05 can never get an IP address as it cannot contact the Router. In hardware arrangements I read there would be separate switches on separate IP ranges with a router to manage traffic between them but I understand that VLANs eliminate the additional hardware and manage it virtually.

How would the switch mentioned 'talk' to the router which is on a different VLAN?

I expected that when it was included in both VLANs that this would be possible.

The WAN device has multiple SSIDs, one of which was configured as VLAN 05.

But the main thing for me is how separate VLANs contact the DNS and DHCP server (router)

Please keep in mind - for me it is a first look at this!

I may not even be describing it well but hopefully the diagram will help.

Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Basic Help - VLAN Config with Router DHCP-DNS

Does this router support the configuration of multiple networks, IP subnetworks, and DHCP for each, e.g. on a per port or VLAN level?

I fear this is where many first adventures end. Most consumer routers, ISP supplied end-user routers, and so on don't support this.

Message 2 of 3
dtmoc
Aspirant

Re: Basic Help - VLAN Config with Router DHCP-DNS

Hey schumaku

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Well - that could certainly be the problem!!

Definitely, there is only a single IP range supported in the router.

Was actually expecting devices to work within the one DHCP range but just not have access to ports not tagged with the same VLAN assuming of course the DHCP device port was tagged for the vLAN. Sigh...

For vLAN configs then is it always necessary to have a front end router that support multiple DHCP Scopes and vLANs in order for vLANs to work? (It's funny how many articles focus on configuring the switches and do not mention supporting hardware needed.)

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements