× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connect newly orderd MS510TXUP to existing GS728TP via SFP?

bkosick
Aspirant

Connect newly orderd MS510TXUP to existing GS728TP via SFP?

Hi All,

I just ordered the MS510TXUP and have an existing GS728TP I'd like to link them together via SFP..   I'm assuming that the SFP on the GS 728 TP only supports 1GB, so I'd like to LAG/LACP them together to get a 2GP link to the MS510TXUP.   Is this possible?   If so which SFP modules would you recommend?

Immediate devices to connect to it are a NAS with a 10G card and a  PoE+ wifi6 WAP with a 2.5 ethernet  link

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: Connect newly orderd MS510TXUP to existing GS728TP via SFP?

Both the GS728TP and the GS728TPv2 have 1000BASE-X fiber SFP ports only. Therefore, SFP+DAC (the most cost effective solution e.g in a rack up to some meters) can't be used. A pair of Netgear AGM731F 1000Base-SX SFP GBIC (Multimode) [or compatibles] with a Multimode Duplex Patch cable with LC/PC will do the job, double if you intend to create two links for a LAG.

Message 2 of 4
bkosick
Aspirant

Will the AGM731F SFP work in the MS510TXUP with the SFP slots?  So for my described setup i would need
4xAGM731F

2xMultimode Duplex LC/PC patch cables...  

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Correct.

The MS510TXUP (and most other devices/switches SFP+) are 1G/10G SFP+ Fiber Ports. because fiber connections do not have any kind of handshake, typical 10G modules can't link up to 1G modules.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements