× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware upgrade using the ProSAFE Config Utility fails on GS108Ev3 & GS116Ev2

JRMalin
Aspirant

Firmware upgrade using the ProSAFE Config Utility fails on GS108Ev3 & GS116Ev2

First, let me say greetings from a newby on the NETGEAR Community and apologize for any rehashing of old/existing information.
If this is the wrong thread for me to be on, would you please redirect me to the correct one? Thanks.

Background:
I just recently purchase 2 Netgear ProSAFE switches: GS108Ev3 and GS116Ev2. I am having the same issues with both.

They are in a network with a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router that is providing DHCP IP services. The GS116Ev2 is directly connected to the router and the GS108Ev3 is connected to the GS116Ev2. I am using MAC security filter on the R7000 and have successfully configured both switches for DHCP IP mode, have them receiving IP addresses and functioning on the network. I'm using the ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility V2.5.3 and can see and connect to both switches. I'm running Windows PC's with latest version Windows 10. What I can't do is update the firmware using the ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility. The current firmware status is:

Switch Current Firmware Latest Downloaded Firmware
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GS108Ev3 V2.00.08 V 2.00.12
GS116Ev2 V 2.0.1.26 V2.0.1.40

When I try to update either switch the Configuration Utility reports that TFTP fails after about a minute of apparent retries. I don't have a network sniffer, so I can't see the connection attempts. I'm assuming it must be similar to the issues I have read in this thread. I have not tried to use the web browser interface. I was hoping by now, that the Configuration Utility would be updated to connect properly. After all, it correctly identifies the switch, the IP address, the MAC address, and I can connect with each one and configure it and monitor it. I do see some of the issues that have been reported that it looks like the GS108Ev3 has been bricked. It does not respond to the hard reset to factory defaults, but a power-down reset brought it back to life and I could reconfigure it for DHCP service. The GS116Ev2 simply ignored the procedure and continued to run as configured before the upgrade attempt. I tried upgrading the GS108Ev3 with a PC connected to the GS116Ev2, so the connection would have had to go through the GS116Ev2 to the GS108Ev3. That failed the the GS108Ev3 was unaffected. When I tried to upgrade the GS108Ev3 using a PC directly connected to the GS108Ev3 is when it needed to be power cycled after the connection attempt failed.

So, before I jump through any more hoops and wind up with a bricked switch, what are my best options for updating the firmware on my two switches? Did I shoot myself in the foot buying these switches? My desire was to be able to manage the devices over the network simply using the Configuration Utility.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Regards,
John

Model: GS108Ev3|ProSAFE 8-port Gigabit Plus Switch, GS116Ev2|ProSAFE Plus 16-port Gigabit Switch
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Firmware upgrade using the ProSAFE Config Utility fails on GS108Ev3 & GS116Ev2

John, Check your DHCP server resp. the Attached Devices list for the IPv4 address assigned to each switch. Use a Web browser and connect by http on port 80 to each IP address. I'd expect to see a Load Mode in the Web UI on the suspect bricked switch - from here you can upload the effective switch image, the GS108EV3_V2.00.12.bin resp. the JGS516PE_GS116Ev2_V2.0.1.40.bin to be extracted from each ZIP archive.

When it comes to the ProSafe Plus Utility: It's hard to say what makes it's tftp server fail on a "random" machine out there. Could be an already active tftp server on the system, could be a firewall or any of these "Internet Security" packages silently prohibiting the service, whatever.

View solution in original post

Model: GS108Ev3|ProSAFE 8-port Gigabit Plus Switch, GS116Ev2|ProSAFE Plus 16-port Gigabit Switch
Message 2 of 10

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Re: Firmware upgrade using the ProSAFE Config Utility fails on GS108Ev3 & GS116Ev2

John, Check your DHCP server resp. the Attached Devices list for the IPv4 address assigned to each switch. Use a Web browser and connect by http on port 80 to each IP address. I'd expect to see a Load Mode in the Web UI on the suspect bricked switch - from here you can upload the effective switch image, the GS108EV3_V2.00.12.bin resp. the JGS516PE_GS116Ev2_V2.0.1.40.bin to be extracted from each ZIP archive.

When it comes to the ProSafe Plus Utility: It's hard to say what makes it's tftp server fail on a "random" machine out there. Could be an already active tftp server on the system, could be a firewall or any of these "Internet Security" packages silently prohibiting the service, whatever.

Message 2 of 10
hazeii
Aspirant

Did you see this thread? it appears that only certain combinations of browsers/OSs work. In particular it gets tricky if you're using your own DHCP  (as you've seen, it can make the router  appear 'bricked' at first).

Model: GS108Ev3|ProSAFE 8-port Gigabit Plus Switch
Message 3 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@hazeii,

From your initial post, you mentioned that you are using ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility V2.5.3.  As I have double-checked the product support page of both GS108Ev3 and GS116Ev2, there is no ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility V2.5.3.  The latest version of the ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility is v2.4.9. 

Let us try this.  kindly uninstall the current version of the ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility you have in your PC then install ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility v2.4.9.  You can download ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility v2.4.9 on this link.  Check if same problem occurs.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 10
hazeii
Aspirant

@DaneA

I think you meant @JRMalin, who mentions 2.5.3 in the first post of this thread (I certainly don't have that as a version).

Message 5 of 10
schumaku
Guru

wrote:

From your initial post, you mentioned that you are using ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility V2.5.3.  As I have double-checked the product support page of both GS108Ev3 and GS116Ev2, there is no ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility V2.5.3.  The latest version of the ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility is v2.4.9. 

Hm, something wrong. Not the only Product Support Page not up2date: Letter of volatility are missing all over, SNMP MIB kits are not provided with many Smart Managed Pro models supporting SNMP, ...

As per the official ProSafe Plus Utility page, v2.5.3 is current. Can't be we have to use outdated versions - unless there would be a known interoperability issue, and switch firmware and/or utility would require a fix and update. 

Message 6 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Doesn't the prompt for username and password happen if using ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility versions earlier than 2.3.29 (with the SOAP issue) and/or 2.4.3 against any current switch firmware version?

Message 7 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@hazeii,

I apologize for that.  

@schumaku / @JRMalin,

I inquired about which version of the ProSAFE Plus Config Utility is the latest, if its the v2.5.3 or v2.4.9 because the v2.5.3 is not posted in the product support pages of the GS116Ev2 and GS108Ev3 .  I got a feedback that the latest version of the ProSAFE Plus Config Utility is v2.5.3. 

I made a request for the ProSAFE Plus Config Utility v2.5.3 be posted in the product support page of all the ProSAFE Plus Switches which includes the GS116Ev2 and GS108Ev3.  

@JRMalin,

Based from the current firmware status of your GS116Ev2 and GS108Ev3 which you have mentioned in your initial post, both switches are already in the latest firmware version.  v2.0.1.40 is the latest firmware for the GS116Ev2, check this link while v2.00.12 is the latest firmware for the GS108Ev3, check it here.  

For me, it is more convenient to perform a firmware upgrade through the web-GUI since both GS116Ev2 and GS108Ev3 supports web-GUI management.  However, if you wish to upload the same firmware version (reflash the firmware) respectively using the ProSAFE Plus Config Utility v2.5.3, try the steps below:

1. Download again firmware v2.0.1.40 & v2.00.12 and make sure their file size are correct.  The file size of v2.0.1.40 is 325KB while the file size of v2.00.12 is 230KB.  Then, unzipped it. 

2. Open the ProSAFE Plus Config Utility v2.5.3 as "Run as Administrator."

3. Install the ProSAFE Plus Config Utility v2.5.3  on other PC or laptop to isolate the problem.

4. Disconnect the GS116Ev2 and GS108Ev3 switches from your existing network.  Both GS116Ev2 and GS108Ev3 switches will be back to their default IP Address which is 192.168.0.239.  Connect the PC/laptop directly to the GS116Ev2 and GS108Ev3 and set a static IP address of 192.168.0.210.  Then, perform the firmware upgrade using ProSAFE Plus Config Utility v2.5.3.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 10
JRMalin
Aspirant

I used the Chrome browser interface and was able to successfully update the firmware in both the GS108Ev3 (V2.00.12) and GS116Ev2 (V2.0.1.40) switches. It took the GS116 longer to download, flash, and reboot than the GS108.  After the update and reboot on the GS116, I could not get the login page to display properly on Chrome.  When I changed to Internet Explorer, I was able to connect.  I could also connect with the ProSAFE Plus Config Utility v2.5.3.  I don't know what the issue is with Chrome after the firmware update.  After the update and very quick reboot of the GS108, I got the login page and was able to connect with Chrome as before.  I could also connect with the Config Utility. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Regards,

-John

Model: GS108Ev3|ProSAFE 8-port Gigabit Plus Switch
Message 9 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@JRMalin,

Thanks for the update.  I'm glad to know that you were able to successfully update the firmware of both the GS108Ev3 and GS116Ev2 switches. 🙂 

Since your concern has been resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements