× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS110TP - DHCP Issue - Obtaining IP not possible

harry7922
Guide

Re: GS110TP - DHCP Issue - Obtaining IP not possible

Hi Byron,

@Byronlin wrote:
To make sure I do not misunderstand you, do you mean keep turn off/on AP can boost the chances of reproduce the behavior?

Yes, I turned off the AP for round about 2 hours (don't know if the time is relevant) and turned on again. Only after this, the issue occured.

@Byronlin wrote:

This is just the root casue of the behavior I guessed.

Since AP did not actually send out packets sent by the roamed device, which means GS110TP did not receive DHCP offer packets from the device, otherwise GS110TP will update the MAC address table, move MAC of the devcei from LAG1 (AP at the other side) to Port 5 ( AP at local), and I think maybe there was something with the AP when it performed wireless connection(authenticaion, association and 4-way handshaking) with the roamed device.

So just like what I mentioned in my last post, you should check MAC address table of GS110TP when the behavior presents again to make sure if my assumption is corrcet.

Thanks for considering my request.

This, I already checked and posted in my last answer, right? Or do I have to check more?

When I get the issue on my device (Loop while trying to obtain an IP), in address table the MAC of the device relates to Port l1 (LAG).

When everything went fine and the issue is not present, in address table the MAC of device is switched to Port 5 (AP at local) after the device successully obtained an IP.

So I think you assumption is right - if I understood you correctly.

BR

Harry

Message 26 of 41
Byronlin
Aspirant

@harry7922 wrote:

This, I already checked and posted in my last answer, right? Or do I have to check more?

When I get the issue on my device (Loop while trying to obtain an IP), in address table the MAC of the device relates to Port l1 (LAG).

When everything went fine and the issue is not present, in address table the MAC of device is switched to Port 5 (AP at local) after the device successully obtained an IP.

So I think you assumption is right - if I understood you correctly.

BR

Harry

Hi Harry,

Sorry for my ambiguous words, and you are right.

What I wanted to say in my last post was:

If it is possible, please help to check MAC address table every time the issue presents, if the behavior roamed device fails to get IP happens, will always cause GA110TP failed to learn MAC address of the roamed device simultaneously, then the possibility will be very high that my assumption may be right.

Hope the explanation above can help you to understand my last post.

Best Regards

Byron

Message 27 of 41
harry7922
Guide

Hi everyone,

just few minutes ago I got good news from Netgear Experts. They told that they found the issue and can reproduce it.

They will work on a new firmware release.

So check out for new firmware if you also having trouble.

Thanks again for your support.

BR

Harry

Message 28 of 41
Byronlin
Aspirant

Hi Harry,

Great to hear that!

May I know the detail about the root casue and solution of the issue?

Thank you.

Best Regards

Byron

Message 29 of 41
harry7922
Guide

Dear Byron,

I'm still waiting for release of new firmware - Hopefully netgear will release them shortly.

I asked the Level3 Engeneer about the root cause of this issue - but he also didn't know the reason. So it seems he only managed the communication and some other technical guys (maybe in different location) found and fixed the issue.
If you have Tipps how to get the information from Netgear, please let me know.

Thanks + BR

Harry

Message 30 of 41
P4TR1CK
Aspirant

Dear Byron, Harry,

I have a   GS110TP with exactly the same issue.  I already have had created support cases and was working extensively with Netgear L2 on this without success.

After a few days of operation, some wireless clients cannot obtain IP addresses via DHCP anymore. 

I tracked the traffic with wireshark and the switch stops forwarding particular DHCP packets. 

After a swtich reboot, everything starts working fine.

I replaced the GS110TP with an Netgear  GS108Ev3 which does not have this issue.

In the meanwhile I have tried two   GS110TP and both show the exact same behaviour. 

I have scheduled an automated reboot via SSH script and the problem is bypassed for now, but the root cause it not solved.

The big difference to the setup from Harry is that I do not power off my WLAN AP's - they are online 24x7..

I severely hope that Netgear will get this fixed and release a new Firmware soon. 
I'm more than happy to test a beta version. 

Best regards

Model: GS110TPP|8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 Copper Ports and Cloud Management
Message 31 of 41
schumaku
Guru

Just for the interested reader and attempting to avoid confusion in the future - you also talk about switches like GS108Tv3 / GS110TPv3 / GS110TPP all operating the same 7.0.6.2 Firmware Version?

Message 32 of 41
P4TR1CK
Aspirant

I have the issue with the GS110TPP model up to  7.0.6.2.

The issue does not occur with my   GS108Tv2 running on  5.4.2.33.

Model: GS110TPP|8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 Copper Ports and Cloud Management
Message 33 of 41
P4TR1CK
Aspirant

Hi Harry,

any news about the new firmware?

Best regards

Patrick

Message 34 of 41
harry7922
Guide

Dear Patrick,
I received the information that new firmware should be released on 15th may.

BR Harry
Message 35 of 41
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@harry7922 / @P4TR1CK / @Byronlin,

Just sharing that Firmware v7.0.6.3 has been released for the GS108Tv3 / GS110TPv3 / GS110TPP switches.  One of the bug fixes included is it fixes an issue where a client device can fail to get a DHCP IP address when there is another network device connected between the switch and the client device.  You can download and to learn more about the other bug fixes, security fixes, warnings and firmware update instructions, please click here.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 36 of 41
P4TR1CK
Aspirant

Hi,

the new Firmware seem to resolve the DHCP issues I had. 

FInally everything is working as expected.

Thank you!

Message 37 of 41
harry7922
Guide

Hi everyone,

I can also confirm from my side, that the issue is gone.

Now I'm satisfied with the device and everything works fine.

Thanks for everything! BR

Harry

Message 38 of 41
jvanlangen
Aspirant

I had the same problem. I've fixed it by Disabled the Admin Mode, which is on [System -> Services -> Configuration -> Admin Mode]

If you check the help, a line says:
    Admin Mode - Enables or disables the DHCP Filtering feature.

Message 39 of 41
schumaku
Guru

@jvanlangen wrote:

I had the same problem. I've fixed it by Disabled the Admin Mode, which is on [System -> Services -> Configuration -> Admin Mode]

If you check the help, a line says:
    Admin Mode - Enables or disables the DHCP Filtering feature.

Better approach retaining the DHCP filtering feature would be to configure the port(s) pointing to the DHCP server (on the same config page).

Message 40 of 41
P4TR1CK
Aspirant

Please be aware that this was a confirmed bug which is fixed since   Firmware v7.0.6.3.

Message 41 of 41
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 40 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements