× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS110TP/GS105EPE - Set up VLAN with Trunk

hre_1
Aspirant

GS110TP/GS105EPE - Set up VLAN with Trunk

Hi,

i'm trying to configure a vlan trunk over three switches.core switch is a unifi usw-24p on port 20 -> is a gs105Epe on port 3 of the gs105pe (uplink port 5)  is a gs110tp switch (uplink port 1) . i configure a vlan 40 on port 8 of the 110tp and also on port 1 of the 105pe. I see the pc of vlan 40 from the gs105pe but not from the 110tp. Is this possible or is the gs105pe the bottleneck in my design?

thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
hre_1
Aspirant

Betreff: GS110TP/GS105EPE - Set up VLAN with Trunk

Thank you very very much for your kindly assistance! After a while of searching i found that the GS110TP didn't saved my VLAN Settings ( i don't really now why)  and so i was unable to get my devices in the right configuration. Okay now it works. If i try your advice (vlan1 tagged) then i'm unable to reach the webinterfaces of the switches. The access only work if i untag vlan1. Found nothing in the documentation about this behaviour... Again, thanks a lot!

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS110TP/GS105EPE - Set up VLAN with Trunk

The bottleneck would be in the single GbE of the cascaded switches - but that's up to your design. I would go for a star configuration instead, or deploy some additional trunking.

All that is not relevant - with an 802.1Q VLAN the trunks are commonly tagged, and the related access ports are configured untagged.

Message 2 of 7
hre_1
Aspirant

thank you very much for the really quick answer! but threre is no chance for a star toplogy and i have to build the switch cascade.

Okay, just for clarifying i attached a illustration. The problem is that i can't reach the GS110TP vlan 40 from the unifi switch. If assume i make a mistake or the GS105PE is not capable for that... is the GS105PE ready for my purpose?

Netgear.png

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Both Netgear swiches are fully 802.1Q VLAN compliant. Are all switches in 802.1Q VLAN mode, with the trunking/cascading ports configured to be tagged (T) for all VLANs?

Message 4 of 7
hre_1
Aspirant

Yes, i configured the VLAN under the 802.1Q options. If you look on my picture you see the tagging i made. Do you think thats correct?

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

I'd suggest to run all the trunk connections as tagged, so don't forget to do the same on the USW port #20.

Any specific reason the VLAN 1 is not configured on the GS105PE trunk ports?

The most confusing is on the GS105PE Port 1 that both VLANs are configured as untagged. To avoid some asymetrical VLAN (discouraged) I'd stronlgy suggest to remove the VLAN 1 U there...

VLAN-1-40.PNG

Message 6 of 7
hre_1
Aspirant

Thank you very very much for your kindly assistance! After a while of searching i found that the GS110TP didn't saved my VLAN Settings ( i don't really now why)  and so i was unable to get my devices in the right configuration. Okay now it works. If i try your advice (vlan1 tagged) then i'm unable to reach the webinterfaces of the switches. The access only work if i untag vlan1. Found nothing in the documentation about this behaviour... Again, thanks a lot!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements