× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS724Tv4 conflict with Nighthawk Rax200 Router

Davolicious
Follower

GS724Tv4 conflict with Nighthawk Rax200 Router

I've had a Nighthawk RAX200 router for a bit now, and recently purchased a GS724Tv4 switch. When I connect the switch to the network, we lose internet, and I can no longer access the router via app, or wired connection. Further, connecting the switch causes the IP address of the router to change from 192.168.1.1 to 172.16.0.1 automatically.

I've tried factory resetting both devices, I've tried manually settings the IP address of the switch before connecting to the router, and everything else that I can think of, to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions that might remedy the situation?
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS724Tv4 conflict with Nighthawk Rax200 Router

@Davolicious wrote:
I've had a Nighthawk RAX200 router for a bit now, and recently purchased a GS724Tv4 switch. When I connect the switch to the network, we lose internet, and I can no longer access the router via app, or wired connection. Further, connecting the switch causes the IP address of the router to change from 192.168.1.1 to 172.16.0.1 automatically.

No way my friend. This must be caused to wherever you connect the switch to.

Note: The GS724Tv4 or any other Netgear Plus or Smart Managed switch are pure L2 devices, have no DHCP server on board. The GS724Tv4 has just a DHCP client, what allows to pick up a valid IPv4 config from the hopefully one and only DHCP server on your LAN. Appears this is where your RAX200 WAN/Internet port does find another router and/or DHCP server, this is why the RAX200 does change it's LAN default IP config.

Some remaining from earlier Internet router installations, or some nice fellows which have connected a rouge router to your network?  

Repeated factory resets of the RAX200 and the GS724Tv4 is fighting a red herring.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements