× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

HELP GS110EMX low Upload Speed when connecting at 2.5Gbps on ports 9 and 10

koa132435
Star

HELP GS110EMX low Upload Speed when connecting at 2.5Gbps on ports 9 and 10

Hi All,

I hope someone can help and point me in the right direction even though I think this is a software/hardware bug (I hope I am wrong).

First - every time I connect on port 9 or 10 and confirmed that I am connected at 2.5G the throughput of my connections are lower than when connecting on the 1G ports at 1G speed.

QoS is set as port priority.  I tested with all the different priorities and ensured no rate limiting on any port.

My high-level connectivity diagram

=============================================================================================================

Test 1

Wifi ax devices <---->APs (ax) 2.5G port <----> 2.5G port 9 GS110EMX 10G port 10<----> 10G port 10 GS110EMX LAG 2 x 1G ports <-->  NAS

Connection verified at 2.5Gbps between APs and GS110EMX

2 different brand new out-of-the-box APs, They are different brands since I am testing them.

My Wifi ax devices are 8-10 ft connected at -33 dBm solid signal in the 5Ghz band using 160Mhz at wifi radio speed of 2.4Gbps solid and stable during all the time of my test. Using inSSIDer to monitor any WIFI interference and there is none.

The sustained throughput I get here with multiple connections from different laptops, different brands, and different OS is around 500 Mbps aggregated across all devices to the NAS.

============================================================================================================

Test 2

Then if I switch to 1 Gbps port on the APs to 1 G bps port 5 on the GS110EMX

connection verified at 1Gbps

Wifi ax devices <---->APs (ax) 1G port <----> 1G port 4 GS110EMX 10G port 10<----> 10G port 10 GS110EMX LAG 2 x 1G ports <-->  NAS

I get a sustained throughput of 110 Mbps to the NAS

============================================================================================================

Test 3

Then if I switch to 1 Gbps port on the APs to port 9 on the GS110EMX

Connection verified at 1 Gbps between APs and GS110EMX

Wifi ax devices <---->APs (ax) 1G port <----> 1G port 4 GS110EMX 10G port 10<----> 10G port 10 GS110EMX LAG 2 x 1G ports <-->  NAS

I get a sustained throughput of 100 Mbps to the NAS

Because I am using different 2 brand new and different brands AP and both of them experiencing the same behavior when connecting at 2.5Gbps it seems there is a bug built-in rate limiting for ingress speed on the GS110EMX switch.

Any one having the same problem?  Any advice other than trying to call Netgear Support?

Message 1 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: HELP GS110EMX low Upload Speed when connecting at 2.5Gbps on ports 9 and 10

@koa132435,

What is the current firmware version of your GS110EMX?  If ever its not yet the latest version, I suggest you to update it then observe if the same problem will occur.  The latest GS110EMX firmware is v1.0.2.3 and you can download it here.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 11
koa132435
Star

The latest firmware, attached is the screen capture. Same problem.

Also, I connected an ASUS router's 2.5 Gbps port, and same problem with upload being throttled or rate limited. 

The same problem across 2 x GS110EMX , and 1 x GS110MX.   Monitoring on the switch and router shows 2.5 Gbps solid connection over 5ft of e Cat6  cables.

I already tried multiple cables, shielded and no shielded (The same  5ft cables work and support 10 Gbps with no problem).

koa132435_0-1658925098037.png

Message 3 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@koa132435,

Thank you for your response.  Kindly try to enable Flow Control on ports 9 & 10 then observed if the same issue will occur.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 11
koa132435
Star

I have exhausted all tests, enabling, disabling flow control, rate limiting,etc and same results.

I decide to find another switch, non-Netgear switch and the problem remained the same. So this ruled out the Netgear switch. I then decided to enable a shared folder in a desktop using a single 1 gbps port to eliminate the NAS device and I had the same problem with the upload speeds, it is capped/rate limited when I use the 2.5 Gbps port on the Netgear WIFI router.

At this point I may need to switch strategy and focus on the router, maybe the 2.5 Gbps  speed on the LAN segment has a rate limiting 😡.

Thank you DaneA

Message 5 of 11
koa132435
Star

RAX200 Wifi to LAN Multi-Gig port upload capped/rate limited to 400-500 Mbps

I have 2 new RAX200 both of them show the same behavior - Is the RAX200 throttling the upload speed throughput?

5Ghz  Wifi ---> LAN Multi-Gig port connected at 2.5 Gbps the throughput is around 400-500 Mbps for upload, download I get 900 Mbps which is the limit of my NAS connectivity

5Ghz  Wifi ---> LAN Multi-Gig port connected at 1.0 Gbps the upload throughput is around 900 Mbps for upload, download I get 900 Mbps which is the limit of my NAS connectivity

5Ghz  Wifi ---> LAN 1 Gig Port connected at 1.0 Gbps the upload throughput is around 900 Mbps for upload, download I get 900 Mbps which is the limit of my NAS connectivity

I replaced the netgear switches with other non-netgear  and the problem remains. At this point everything points to the RAX200.

Below is my post in the GS110EMX board which I basically closed today and my focus is the RAX200.

NEW HELP GS110EMX low Upload Speed when connecting... - NETGEAR Communities

Test 1

Wifi ax devices <---->RAX200 APs (ax) 2.5G port <----> 2.5G port 9 GS110EMX 10G port 10<----> 10G port 10 GS110EMX LAG 2 x 1G ports <-->  NAS

Connection verified at 2.5Gbps between RAX200 APs and GS110EMX

2 different brand new out-of-the-box APs, They are different brands since I am testing them.

My Wifi ax devices are 8-10 ft connected at -33 dBm solid signal in the 5Ghz band using 160Mhz at wifi radio speed of 2.4Gbps solid and stable during all the time of my test. Using inSSIDer to monitor any WIFI interference and there is none.

The sustained throughput I get here with multiple connections from different laptops, different brands, and different OS is around 500 Mbps aggregated across all devices to the NAS.

Test 2

Then if I switch to 1 Gbps port on the RAX200 APs to 1 G bps port 5 on the GS110EMX

connection verified at 1Gbps

Wifi ax devices <---->RAX200  APs (ax) 1G port <----> 1G port 4 GS110EMX 10G port 10<----> 10G port 10 GS110EMX LAG 2 x 1G ports <-->  NAS

I get a sustained throughput of ~880 Mbps to the NAS

Test 3

Then if I switch to 1 Gbps port on the RAX200 APs to port 9 on the GS110EMX

Connection verified at 1 Gbps between APs and GS110EMX

Wifi ax devices <---->RAX200  APs (ax) 1G port <----> 1G port 4 GS110EMX 10G port 10<----> 10G port 10 GS110EMX LAG 2 x 1G ports <-->  NAS

I get a sustained throughput of ~800 Mbps to the NAS

Message 6 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Re: RAX200 Wifi to LAN Multi-Gig port upload capped/rate limited to 400-500 Mbps

As you experience the same with the RAX200 as well as we th the probably very similar Asus consumer router in AP mode, the idea is near that we're facing yet another well hidden performance issue operating such devices in AP mode, well possibly caused by some chip and platform maker implementation issue. Not the first we're reading about on various manufacturers communities. >99.9% of the implementation, testing and marketing money does flow into shiny consumer and influencer channels. Nobody really cares much about AP modes, especially if paired with exotic multi-gig technology. My advise: Stick with true SMB class access points like the WAX6xx series, stay far away from consumer routers for these purposes.
Message 7 of 11
koa132435
Star

Re: RAX200 Wifi to LAN Multi-Gig port upload capped/rate limited to 400-500 Mbps

I think that's what I will do. I am trying to escalate to L3 and I am being asked to run tests on router mode when I have shared that I am not interested on router mode after I provided the backup file of the config. it seems I am being asked to do the heavy lifting. 

I will start looking for a SMB AP. Hopefully I have a better experience.

Message 8 of 11
koa132435
Star

Hi All RAX200 owners,

Are you able to achieve upload speeds higher than 700 Mbps using the 5 Ghz  band?

if you are, can you please post the fw version and hw version if any?

I have not been able to pass 500-600 Mbps when using the 2.5 Gbps port. If I use the 1.0 Gbps  then no problem at all. It seems the 2.5 Gbps port is throttling the upload speed with or without QoS.

I was able to push it to ~620 Mbps by configuring the QoS to 1000/1000 Mbps but Netgear does not support anything higher than 1000 even if you are using the 2.5 Gbps.

For some of you interested in my config/ test setup:

I replaced the GS110EMX with a different multigig switch and same problem. No interference problem based on inSSIDer information. 2 different laptops, different brands and different WiFi Card same problem. Tested from iphone and same problem. Using 5ghz band. I am running the latest firmware and tested 2 previous fws same results.

Test 1

Laptop  <--- 3 ft from RAX200 signal level -27dbm Tx/Rx wireless 2402 Mbps /2402 Mbps --->RAX200 Port 2.5 Gbps <--->GS110EMX <--> NAS/Local Speed Server    Upload speed limited to ~500 Mbps / Download Speed ~900 Mbps

Test 2

Laptop  <--- 3 ft from RAX200 signal level -27dbm Tx/Rx wireless 2402 Mbps /2402 Mbps --->RAX200 Port 1.0 Gbps <--->GS110EMX <--> NAS/Local Speed Server    Upload speed ~900 Mbps / Download Speed ~900 Mbps

I replaced the GS110EMX with a different multigig switch and same problem. No interference problem based on inSSIDer information. 2 different laptops, different brands and different WiFi Card same problem. Tested from iphone and same problem. Using 5ghz band. I am running the latest firmware and tested 2 previous fws same results.

Message 9 of 11
ubiquity42
Aspirant

I have the EXACT same issue. 2.5g and 10g ports give extremely slow upload speeds to an ASUS AXE11000. 1g ports are fine. Link aggregated ports are fine. 

This problem has been maddening. 

Message 10 of 11
koa132435
Star

@ubiquity42 ,

After long hours, actually days, and multiple tests and HW I found the solution: I replaced all my switches where I had devices connected at different speeds including the GS110EMX

I have successfully tested the following communication patterns:

2.5Gbps <---> 1Gbps

2.5Gbps <---> 10 Gbps

1.0 Gbps <---> 10 Gbps

In my personal conclusion, the problem sits with the switches and how switches handle the flow control and buffer the packets between devices connected a different speeds.

I will send you a direct/private message with the switch that solved all my problems. YMMV 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements