× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet stops working when switches are connected using LAG - JGS524PE & JGS516PE

Sam71
Aspirant

Internet stops working when switches are connected using LAG - JGS524PE & JGS516PE

Hi all,

Having an issue where the internet stops working when we connect a JGS524PE & JGS516PE via a 2 port LAG.

The JGS524PE is the main switch in a detatched office and the JGS516PE runs a few cameras and internet for the main house.

I have set up a LAG on the JGS524PE to connect to a two nic NAS box which seems to run fine! I then setup a new LAG on both of the switches to interconnect them. As soon as you physically connect the second port the internet connection in the office stops. Disconnect and it is back up straight away! I think this happens which ever port is connected!

Network cables between the office and the house are Cat6

Just not sure what is going on! Any ideas or suggestions would be great....

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Sam71
Aspirant

Re: Internet stops working when switches are connected using LAG - JGS524PE & JGS516PE

@XavierLL wrote:

Just a couple of things that hope helps you when you are onsite:

Configure first the switches without any of the LAG cables connected, and once you have configured both plug in the cables

Will Do!

If after configuring it you still have issues please change the cable and the port as a physical issue could also cause that the LAG is down

As far as I can remember each port works normally when the other is disconnected! Issue is the second switch is in a pain of a spot to get to (in the roof space in a small data cabinet) so the whole process of pysically patching cable is a slow process.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 10

All Replies
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Internet stops working when switches are connected using LAG - JGS524PE & JGS516PE

Hi Sam71,

Welcome to our community!

From your problem described below seems that instead of creating the LAG between the switches a loop is created. So that will explain why you loose internet access when you connect the second cable.

Could you check that you also enabled the LAG in both switches, see an image below:

lag.png

Hope it helps!

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

Message 2 of 10
Sam71
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply Xavier,

The only thing I did notice is that Admin mode would not stay active after I selected it!

i.e. it would be back to Disabled once I went back in.

I am quite sure that the LAG ports are the ones connected on each switch, I am going back to site on Monday!

I am thinking unless I can get the admin mode to enable I am going to be going in circles like the data traffic! Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 10
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You are welcome Sam71!

1. Configure first the switches without any of the LAG cables connected, and once you have configured both plug in the cables
  2. If after configuring it you still have issues please change the cable and the port as a physical issue could also cause that the LAG is down

Hope it helps!

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

Message 4 of 10
Sam71
Aspirant

@XavierLL wrote:

Configure first the switches without any of the LAG cables connected, and once you have configured both plug in the cables

Will Do!

If after configuring it you still have issues please change the cable and the port as a physical issue could also cause that the LAG is down

As far as I can remember each port works normally when the other is disconnected! Issue is the second switch is in a pain of a spot to get to (in the roof space in a small data cabinet) so the whole process of pysically patching cable is a slow process.

Message 5 of 10
Sam71
Aspirant

I went on site today and it is now working!

Qos was setup on one of the switches so I thing that was causing the grief.....

Message 6 of 10
Sam71
Aspirant

Looks like I spoke to soon!

Aparently the internet (netflix etc.) is now not working in the house. It is fine in the office which is now connected via LAG.

The cameras are also working fine! It is like the traffic is only going one way over the LAG.

I am just thinking it may be better to create a Vlan on the second switch (in the house) and connect this directly to a lan port on the modem router, and give up on the LAG connection. This would separate the cameras away from the network in the house.

Message 7 of 10
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Sam71,

Could you let us know what is the traffic that is not working now? if you don't have VLANs or any other security features implemented the LAG shouldn't be an issue.

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

Message 8 of 10
Sam71
Aspirant

It turns out that the modem was offline, after a power off and on it is all working fine!

I guess this will be an issue in the future as the modem is in the office and not the house! Hopefully by the end of the week they will have a UPS installed!

thanks again for your help/advice

Message 9 of 10
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

HI Sam71!

Thanks for letting us know 🙂

Yes installing an UPS will definetly help to reduce possible electrical issues.

Xavier Lleixa

NETGAR CBU PLM

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements