× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is netgear going to force web login on all devices moving forward?

pgisclair
Follower

We are a small public hospital.  All of our switches from Enterprise to workgroup are Netgear brand.  We've used them for years and have no reason to change.  Great value! 

I was in ICU last night, trying to configure a spare GS110TPv3, and it was trying to force me to log in to the web before I could log in locally.  At one point, it assumed I was connected to the Internet (I wasn't) so it did not give me the option to log in locally, and insisted on a web login, which naturally failed because I did not have Internet access.  I was in ICU trying to get a portion of Telemetry working again, and I was hindered because of a Netgear policy dictating that I have to report to them before continuing.

This Netgear policy violates our Hospital IT policy, and even if it didn't, it is not workable for IT .  

1) Is there a way to bypass this and work the way it has for decades and the way we expect it to?  I. E. local login and register the unit if we want.  GS110TPs are disposable and we would not take the time to return one for any kind of warranty.

2) Is netgear going to force web login on all devices moving forward? I. E. would firmware updates suddenly force this "feature" on my existing infrastructure?  THIS IS A REALLY BIG DEAL HERE.

Everyone let me know your thoughts on this.  Thanks.

Model: GS110TPv2|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit PoE smarta switch
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Is netgear going to force web login on all devices moving forward?

After you register and access the switch with your (or your organisation) NETGEAR account, you now can access the switch with the local device password.

This can be done online (with the switch being able to reach the Internet), you can also obtain and use a registration key for offline access from https.//my.netgear.com -> My Products  ... not exact the same process as done for decades, but simple enough.

Cloud login not mandatory.

To make this happen, ensure you have current firmware on these switches.

There is no reason for not registering a switch, for not using the hardware warranty services.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Re: Is netgear going to force web login on all devices moving forward?

After you register and access the switch with your (or your organisation) NETGEAR account, you now can access the switch with the local device password.

This can be done online (with the switch being able to reach the Internet), you can also obtain and use a registration key for offline access from https.//my.netgear.com -> My Products  ... not exact the same process as done for decades, but simple enough.

Cloud login not mandatory.

To make this happen, ensure you have current firmware on these switches.

There is no reason for not registering a switch, for not using the hardware warranty services.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements