× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issue with GS716T Switch

Kelley
Tutor

Issue with GS716T Switch

This morning we connected a Avaya IP phone (5621SW) to our network. It synced up as it was supposed to, but we started receiving calls about PC's blanking out. After some digging, it appears that all the PC's connected to a GS716T switch would report no network connection when the phone was plugged in. Unplugging the phone and powering off/on the switch returned everything to normal. No other Netgear switches were impacted. We replaced the GS716T with another switch (not a GS716T) and plugging in the IP phone had no impact. Wondering what it might be about the GS716T that makes it sensitive to the IP phone? Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Issue with GS716T Switch

Hello Kelley, 

Okay, that's not the setup that I had expected. The model number of the phone was 5621SW so I thought the connection is PC>Phone>Switch. I have tried to look up some reported cases on the GS716T and did not find anything related. This issue is, I should say a bit weird since they are not using the same switch. But we'll start from the update of the firmware. 

We'll wait for your update. 

Thanks, 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Kelley, 

Welcome to the community! 

I understand that you are experiencing an issue with the GS716T in which PCs connected to an IP phone does not get a connection to your network, let me try to help you. I'd like to get as much information for us to isolate the issue, I have listed some questions below: 

1. Do you have special configuration on the switch? (VLANs, QoS Profiles etc)

2. What is the firmware version on the GS716T?

3. What is the model number of the other switch (for comparison). 

4. Is it a newly installed switch or has it been used before? 

Looking forward to your response. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 7
Kelley
Tutor

Hi,

The problem was, we plugged a IP phone into our network through a Netgear FS750T2. This appears to have caused all the PC's on the GS716TV2 to lose their network connections (we were able to repeat this problem). No other switches or PC's on our network  were impacted, just the ones connected to the GS716TV2. 

1. No, there is no special configuration on the GS716TV2

2. Software version 5.0.2.16, Boot version is B5.1.1.1

3. Netgear JFS524 Model 23

4. the GS716T has been in service in the same place for some years now with no problems.

Message 3 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Kelley,

The FS750T2 supports data VLAN but not voice VLAN.  A voice VLAN is needed to be configured on the switch for the Avaya IP Phone to be usable within the network.  Voice VLAN is supported on the GS716Tv2 switch.  

The JFS524 is an unmanaged switch.  This is why when you replaced the GS716T with a JFS524 then connected the Avaya IP Phone to the JFS524, it had no impact.  Kindly try to configure a voice VLAN on the GS716T switch then connect the Avaya IP Phone to it.  Let me share this article as reference guide. 

Let me also point out that the GS716Tv2 is using a very old firmware.  You may want to do a ladderized approach to upgrade the firmware of it until it reach the latest firmware v5.4.2.19.  Here is the link where to download the firmwares for the GS716Tv2.   Be sure to perform a factory reset on the GS716Tv2 after a successful upgrade of the firmware.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 7
Kelley
Tutor

Thank you for your replies. I guess I'm not making myself clear on the configuration here. The IP phone was never connected to the GS716T nor is it connected to the JFS524. It is connected for testing and setup to one of our FS750T2 switches (where it works fine for setup and testing). This is the only place it has been connected. The issue is that when the phone is powered on while connected to the FS750T2, it causes the devices connected (only PC's are on this switch) to the GS716T and only to the GS716T to go offline. None of our other switches (GS724T's, FS726T's, FS750T2's, among others), were impacted at all.

I understand that the firmware is very outdated and will work to update it.

Message 5 of 7
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Kelley, 

Okay, that's not the setup that I had expected. The model number of the phone was 5621SW so I thought the connection is PC>Phone>Switch. I have tried to look up some reported cases on the GS716T and did not find anything related. This issue is, I should say a bit weird since they are not using the same switch. But we'll start from the update of the firmware. 

We'll wait for your update. 

Thanks, 

Message 6 of 7
Kelley
Tutor

I have updated the two GS716T switches that we have to the current level of firmware with no problems. Unfortunately, I cannot test them as the VOIP phone has been installed out in the field and I no longer have access to it. I consider this problem solved.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements