× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Link up up and act led blinking but connection dropped

angeldav
Initiate

Link up up and act led blinking but connection dropped

Hi there,

I have several PoE switches and connect them with PoE devices, in some cases self-made with arduinos.

I have noticed only on this brand of switches (NETGEAR GS series) the connection is lost when the device runs a slightly more complex code.

I assume that means that the switches drop the connection with a device too slow to reply at the demanded pace, is there any way to increase this timeout in the switches settings?

The PHY/MAC on the other side is normally:

* ETH MKR shield

* Wiz clickboard

Model: GS110TPP|8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 Copper Ports and Cloud Management, GS752TPP|48-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP Ports (760W)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
angeldav
Initiate

Re: Link up up and act led blinking but connection dropped

Hi!

Thanks for your reply!

@schumaku wrote:

@angeldav wrote:

I have several PoE switches and connect them with PoE devices, in some cases self-made with arduinos.

Does the PoE power go down, or the PHY Ethernet link?

No, actually negotiation of power and connection bandwidth are working perfectly.

@angeldav wrote:

I have noticed only on this brand of switches (NETGEAR GS series) the connection is lost when the device runs a slightly more complex code.

I don't think this is a brand issue, and much less a problem with what you globally designate as GS Series. Far to many swich models in the field.

Forgive my frustration but I tested the hardware on other brands (Level-one and TG2492LG-VM) and got no connection problem.

If your tiny systems struggle with PoE and/or basic IEEE 802.3 e.g. by no longer sending the "ticks" required to keep the link up on the switch, resp. loosing the "ticks" coming from the switch so the controller does take the link down. 

@angeldav wrote:

I assume that means that the switches drop the connection with a device too slow to reply at the demanded pace, is there any way to increase this timeout in the switches settings?

If this should be off IEEE 802.3 specs, Netgear (resp. the maker of the switch core) must look into it. However, as you state the problem happens on running more complex code on the tiny system (best guess simply CPU and/or interrupt handling), I suspect the issue much more on the small system Kernel and Ethernet driver which fails to handle things in time. Whereas I would expect the basic link ticks to be handled by the Ethernet controller resp. it's microcode/firmware what must not cause issues regardless of the system load - if these stop to come the other peer on the link must take the link down.

Suspect not much the community can do here - troubleshooting does require very low level work on either side.

I throubleshooted my code and found out the solution: more than a problem of ticks (as I suspected) was a problem of mac addresses:

The code I wrote was assigning FF as default to one of the mac address bytes and the switch was denying the service. I would have spotted earlier the problem if that wasn't the case for other switches/routers.

I post this in the hope that could be of use to any others encoutering a similar problem of course 😄

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@angeldav wrote:

@angeldav wrote:

I don't think this is a brand issue, and much less a problem with what you globally designate as GS Series. Far to many swich models in the field.

If your tiny systems struggle with PoE and/or basic IEEE 802.3 e.g. by no longer sending the "ticks" required to keep the link up on the switch, resp. loosing the "ticks" coming from the switch so the controller does take the link down. 

@angeldav wrote:

If this should be off IEEE 802.3 specs, Netgear (resp. the maker of the switch core) must look into it. However, as you state the problem happens on running more complex code on the tiny system (best guess simply CPU and/or interrupt handling), I suspect the issue much more on the small system Kernel and Ethernet driver which fails to handle things in time. Whereas I would expect the basic link ticks to be handled by the Ethernet controller resp. it's microcode/firmware what must not cause issues regardless of the system load - if these stop to come the other peer on the link must take the link down.

Suspect not much the community can do here - troubleshooting does require very low level work on either side.

Message 2 of 4
angeldav
Initiate

Hi!

Thanks for your reply!

@schumaku wrote:

@angeldav wrote:

No, actually negotiation of power and connection bandwidth are working perfectly.

@angeldav wrote:

Forgive my frustration but I tested the hardware on other brands (Level-one and TG2492LG-VM) and got no connection problem.

@angeldav wrote:

I throubleshooted my code and found out the solution: more than a problem of ticks (as I suspected) was a problem of mac addresses:

The code I wrote was assigning FF as default to one of the mac address bytes and the switch was denying the service. I would have spotted earlier the problem if that wasn't the case for other switches/routers.

I post this in the hope that could be of use to any others encoutering a similar problem of course 😄

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

No problem, frustration understood.

Happy you figured out what was going wrong there with the attached device MAC addresses!

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements