× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Management GUI on gs110tp timeout/access oddities

Sweeny
Aspirant

Management GUI on gs110tp timeout/access oddities

To the knowledgable people of the Netgear forum,

I’ve recently acquired a gs110tp managed smart switch and am very happy with it apart from one annoying trait it seems to have. I can’t access the web interface from any device whether it be on the same subnet or a routed VLAN subnet, no connection (ping, http, https, ssh) whatsoever until I use the Netgear Smart Control Center. As soon as the SCC scans the network and finds the switch I can access the switch... from any device! Connection is reinstated and I can configure from the GUI. 

I thought that this might be a one time occurrence however once I’d done my required config I logged out of the switch, left it for 30 min and same problem. No ping from any device no connections, it should be noted that the connected clients are unaffected, I only came to realise this after our monitoring software stopped revising SNMP from the switch after roughly 5 min after logout out of the web GUI. Reran SCC and the switch could be connected to, SNMP came back online! This is not effecting the switch, it’s still passing data to clients however it’s not convenient to power up SCC every time the GUI needs to be accessed, also it drops SNMP which for monitoring purposes is unacceptable. 

My question is, is this by design? If not can anyone point me in the direction of where I need to look to help resolve this issue, I would like constant SNMP monitoring of this switch. 

Any help will be greatfully received, 

Cheers

edit: I should mention I am on the latest firmware (5.4.2.30)

Model: GS110TP|ProSAFE 8-port Gigabit PoE Smart Switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Sweeny
Aspirant

Re: Management GUI on gs110tp timeout/access oddities

After some trial and error I have found the solution. For some reason (for anyone in the know please let me know why this is the case) I have to allow bi-directional traffic between the managment host and the switch, I also extended the soft timeout and the switch now works perfectly allowing access to the web interface whenever the admin requires. Thank you for your help DaveA

Cheers,

Sweeny

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Sweeny,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

There is no issue logged for the GS110TP as per you have described on your initial post.  I suggest you to reset the GS110TP switch back to factory defaults then reconfigure the settings from scratch.  Observe if the same problem will occur.

Also, I suggest you to try the NMS300 as your monitoring software and use the GS110TP MIBs.  You can download the GS110TP MIBs on this link.  The link will expire within 2-3 days.

To download and to know more about the NMS300 management software kindly access it here.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
Sweeny
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply DaveA, you have been most helpful. 

Apologies for not detailing this in my original post, the switch has been reset multiple times to factory default. As you suggest I will monitor the switch with the NMS300 application and report back with any developments.

My current topology is I have the switch on a separate segmented VLAN (defined by our core switch) but I have routing between the client attempting to access the switch and the gs110tp, this config works as I have had connectivity to the switch one the SCC is used it just... drops after 5 min of inactivity on the management side. 

Anyway, I will report back with any developments and a massive thank you for any assistance.

Cheers,

Sweeny

Message 3 of 4
Sweeny
Aspirant

After some trial and error I have found the solution. For some reason (for anyone in the know please let me know why this is the case) I have to allow bi-directional traffic between the managment host and the switch, I also extended the soft timeout and the switch now works perfectly allowing access to the web interface whenever the admin requires. Thank you for your help DaveA

Cheers,

Sweeny

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements