× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear GS308E - Help with config

bobsmith12
Aspirant

Netgear GS308E - Help with config

Hello, 

I need some assistance setting up my GS308E. I want to setup 2 VLANs. 
1) I have 10 devices connected to an unmanaged switch which will be connected to the GS308E. This I want to be on VLAN 10 (or whatever number)
2) I have 1 ethernet that connects to a guest suite's wifi. I want this to be on VLAN 20. This will separate out the guest suite's wifi from our internet. 

10 devices-> unmanaged switch -> GS308E -> router
wifi access -> GS308E -> router

How do I configure this properly?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
ReneD
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Netgear GS308E - Help with config

Hello @bobsmith12,

And welcome to the NETGEAR Community! 🙂

This switch is classified as a Netgear Plus switch. You may try to check the link below on how to configure your GS308E Plus switch.

https://kb.netgear.com/30919/How-to-configure-VLANs-on-a-NETGEAR-Web-Managed-Plus-Switch-with-shared...

Have a lovely day,

Rene D
Netgear Team 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@bobsmith12 wrote:

1) I have 10 devices connected to an unmanaged switch which will be connected to the GS308E. This I want to be on VLAN 10 (or whatever number)
2) I have 1 ethernet that connects to a guest suite's wifi. I want this to be on VLAN 20. This will separate out the guest suite's wifi from our internet. 

10 devices-> unmanaged switch -> GS308E -> router
wifi access -> GS308E -> router

Depends if your undefined router is VLAN-capable and can deal with VLANs, or if this router just has dedicated ports for these zones.

Assuming you don't have to care which VLAN ID is used for these two isolated networks, you have two possible options:

Basic Port-Based VLAN

GS308E Basic Port-Based.PNG

or Advanced Port-Based VLAN

GS308E Advanced Port-Based 1.PNGGS308E Advanced Port-Based 2.PNG

In both examples, I have used the ports 1..6 (like for your primary LAN) and the ports 7...8 (like for your isolated guest network) in dedicated, port-based networks.

Of course, you can take the hassle of a full Advaced 802.1Q based VLAN config:

This is what you want to achieve on a 802.1Q configured network:

Advanced 802.1Q overview.PNG

Advanced 802.1Q VLAN 10.PNGAdvanced 802.1Q VLAN 20.PNGAdvanced 802.1Q VLAN 1.PNG

Advanced 802.1Q VLAN PVID.PNG

Nothing tricky, you just need to define the VLAN 10 and VLAN 20 untagged (access) ports, and don't forget to remove all these from VLAN 1, and finally set the PVID for the access ports accordingly.

Message 2 of 5
bobsmith12
Aspirant

Hello, thank you for the very detailed response!

I have an Asus RT-AX88U router. I can't seem to find anything about it supporting / not supporting VLANs. 

So port 1 is ethernet coming in from the Asus Router
Port 6 -> Ethernet to the guest wifi connection
Port 8 -> Ethernet to the unmanaged switch with 10 devices. 

Wouldn't port 1 have to be a member of both VLANs?

Are they all untagged?

Sorry, this is so confusing. 

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

As your router is not VLAN-aware, there are two port types. One for the normal LAN, one for the Guest WiFi.

In each of my examples, I had the idea for the normal LAN on ports 1..6 (one of these does connect to a router generic LAN port, and the ports 7 and 8 carrying the Guest WLAN, where you connect the Guest-LAN port from the router and the wireless access point.  

Unless you have a wireless access point supporting two VLANs with two SSIDs. This would break off the port based config, and you have to go for the 802.1Q advanced one, and configure one port for carrying both networks, where either both would be tagged, or for simplicity have the default LAN untagged (where also the access point configuration would reside), plus one tagged for the Guest VLAN.

Message 4 of 5
ReneD
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @bobsmith12,

And welcome to the NETGEAR Community! 🙂

This switch is classified as a Netgear Plus switch. You may try to check the link below on how to configure your GS308E Plus switch.

https://kb.netgear.com/30919/How-to-configure-VLANs-on-a-NETGEAR-Web-Managed-Plus-Switch-with-shared...

Have a lovely day,

Rene D
Netgear Team 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements