× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear is locking down access to switch local browser

Netgear is locking down access to switch local browser

Not cool, Netgear.  New firmware announcement came with this little nugget.  Why would I "upgrade" firmware if it "downgrades" my features?  Absolutely the last Netgear product I will ever purchase, and I will be directing the same for the lab infrastructure under my control.  I don't want the insight managed services, and now I can't get bug fixes.

This firmware provides the following new features and enhancements:

• Starting from firmware version 1.0.5.4, product registration is required to unlock full access to the local browser UI. 
  • You can login and access all features through the local browser UI 3 times without registering the switch through your netgear.com account. 
  • A limited feature set is available without registration. For more information, visit the NETGEAR knowledge base article at https://kb.netgear.com/000061174. 
Model: GC108PP|Insight Managed 8-port Gigabit Ethernet High-Power PoE+ Smart Cloud Switch with FlexPoE Power
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Iphie_C
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Netgear is locking down access to switch local browser

Hi @LightlyToasted 

Thanks for choosing NETGEAR Business products.

As @schumaku mentioned earlier, it is not mandatory to have to use Insight managment. In fact, we kept the Local device GUI as default management mode on Smart Managed Pro switches with Optional Insight Remote/Cloud Management. The Insight Remote/Cloud management is just an option that users can choose to acitvate later, and it is a way of future-proofing your network management. If you are using a Insight Cloud switch (name starts with "GC"), the Insight Remote/Cloud Management is the default mode.

Device registration is required on Smart Managed Pro switches with Optional Insight Remote/Cloud Management, by which users can then unlock the switch full warranty and the support entitlement, as well as get timely updates on security or privacy features, and firmware releases. But there is no need for internet connectivity at any point in time. The device registration is very simple and straightforward. We have made it possible to register the switch without it being connected to the internet, for example via Insight Mobile App. Please find the reasons to register and how to register the switch in this article:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Smart-Plus-Click-Switches/Why-We-Require-Registration-on-Smart-Pro-...

Frequent firmware updates are much recommended to keep your network efficiency and security. Many security features and performance improvements will be updated in regular future firmware releases. This is one of the reasons that NETGEAR would like to keep you, as our customer, informed - immediately when firmware updates to your NETGEAR devices come available. We do this for your safety and security, as well as for our own safety. Many governments across the world have recently passed legislation making vendors responsible for the future safety of electronic devices. In order to alert you of any potential security update, we need to be able to reach either you or your reseller. We have stated publicly that we DO NOT SHARE customer data. Your registration data is purely for internal use, as described.

Hope this has answered your questions. Please feel free to let us know if anything else we can do to help you.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@LightlyToasted wrote:

I don't want the insight managed services, and now I can't get bug fixes.

100% wrong and not applicable: There is no need or enforcement to use Insight cloud services.

All what's required is the mandatory product registration - which can be done online or offline -> How do I gain full access to my NETGEAR Smart Managed Pro switch using my registration key? 

In fact the product registration was mandatory for years so the first buyer is able to get access to support and the limited life time warranty. 

Message 2 of 6

Thank you for the explanation.

Message 3 of 6
Iphie_C
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @LightlyToasted 

Thanks for choosing NETGEAR Business products.

As @schumaku mentioned earlier, it is not mandatory to have to use Insight managment. In fact, we kept the Local device GUI as default management mode on Smart Managed Pro switches with Optional Insight Remote/Cloud Management. The Insight Remote/Cloud management is just an option that users can choose to acitvate later, and it is a way of future-proofing your network management. If you are using a Insight Cloud switch (name starts with "GC"), the Insight Remote/Cloud Management is the default mode.

Device registration is required on Smart Managed Pro switches with Optional Insight Remote/Cloud Management, by which users can then unlock the switch full warranty and the support entitlement, as well as get timely updates on security or privacy features, and firmware releases. But there is no need for internet connectivity at any point in time. The device registration is very simple and straightforward. We have made it possible to register the switch without it being connected to the internet, for example via Insight Mobile App. Please find the reasons to register and how to register the switch in this article:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Smart-Plus-Click-Switches/Why-We-Require-Registration-on-Smart-Pro-...

Frequent firmware updates are much recommended to keep your network efficiency and security. Many security features and performance improvements will be updated in regular future firmware releases. This is one of the reasons that NETGEAR would like to keep you, as our customer, informed - immediately when firmware updates to your NETGEAR devices come available. We do this for your safety and security, as well as for our own safety. Many governments across the world have recently passed legislation making vendors responsible for the future safety of electronic devices. In order to alert you of any potential security update, we need to be able to reach either you or your reseller. We have stated publicly that we DO NOT SHARE customer data. Your registration data is purely for internal use, as described.

Hope this has answered your questions. Please feel free to let us know if anything else we can do to help you.

Message 4 of 6

Thank you @Iphie_C for the detailed explanation.  I acknowledge my error in conflating support/updates with Insight services.

What was Netgear's rationale for removing, via a firmware update, the ability to use the local browser without registration?  I accept your explanation that registration entitles a switch owner to firmware upgrades, support, and warranty, which are entitlements beyond the use of the device at initial purchase.  I further accept that Netgear makes it a condition that registration is required for those 3 entitlements.  Nowhere in your explanation is the mention that registration is required to use the local browser fully.  My problem with the recent firmware update is twofold:

1. requiring registration to enable full functionality of the device is coercive.  I bought it, but I can't make full use of it unless I agree to an extra condition that I wasn't aware of at the time of purchase?
  2. the firmware upgrade removed functionality that I had paid for.  This is a disreputable business practice.

If Netgear wishes to state openly in product brochures that registration is required to unlock the full capabilities of the device, fine.  Purchasers can make their decision then.  If I were aware of such a condition, I would not have purchased the switch.  Is (free) registration really such a big deal?  No, not in and of itself.  I think it is reasonable for the 3 entitlements above, but not for full functionality of the device, and certainly not retroactively.

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

The day one Insight Managed Gigabit Ethernet Smart Cloud Switches Data Sheet | GC110, GC110P, GC510P, GC510PP (DS-GC110/GC110P/GC510P/GC510PP-12Aug19) says this: 

* This product comes with a limited warranty that is valid only if purchased from a NETGEAR authorized reseller, and covers unmodified hardware, fans and internal power supplies – not software or external power supplies, and requires product registration using the Insight mobile app or Insight Cloud portal within 90 days of purchase; see https://www.netgear.com/about/warranty for details. Intended for indoor use only.

The changed enforcement goes - in my opinion - wider than what an average non-lawyer person does have to accept.

Similar, the remote management daemons and cloud services still active with the device in local LAN management mode are not acceptable. I was told that was day one design ... yes, however on day one these switches were sold primarily as Insight Managed switches with the ability to use local LAN management, and not for general switch models sold as "Smart Managed Pro Switches with [[opitonal]] Remote/Cloud Management".

Can't find a statement like the one we've seen for many yeas in the user documentation applicable to the newer Netgear switches:

"Statement of Conditions
To improve internal design, operational function, and/or reliability, NETGEAR reserves the right to make changes
to the products described in this document without notice. NETGEAR does not assume any liability that may occur
due to the use, or application of, the product(s) or circuit layout(s) described herein."

@Iphie_C I think Netgear have to go over the books gain ref. both enforced registration / limited functionality _and_ the day one Insight cloud design.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements