× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problems connecting GS728TP to GS110TP using SFP fibre ports

Bugner
Aspirant

Problems connecting GS728TP to GS110TP using SFP fibre ports

Hi,  I am new to networking and have set up a small home office in my garden connecting the house to the office with SFP Fibre betwween GS728TP (House) to a GS110TP (Office).  Data seems to be running over the fibre however when I connect all the devices in the house and office everything seems to go very slow and then I cant connect to anything.

I Shut everything down and then turned each device on individually, giving each device time to actually start up properly, and everything seems to be working ok.  Then when I moved my laptop from to house to office everything stopped working again.  The laptop is connected via Wifi and there is a BT Infinitiy Hub in the house which is also acting as the DHCP Server and there is another Wifi access point in the home office.

In the office there are 6 Cat5e cables from my GS110TP in a small comms cabinet to the following devices. 4 x wall ports, 1 x CCTV (POE), 1 x Wifi AP (POE).

In the house the BT Hub is connected to an existing Netgear hub which is then connected to the GS728TP.  This Smart switch has the following connections. Ehternet cable from existing hub into port 1, A Synology NAS plugged into port 2 and SFP Fibre in port 25 to the GS110TP in the office.

The CCTV records to the NAS. Connected to the house are several other devices like Sonos, Apple TV, Sky TV, Philips Hue lights, Smart TV etc.

Ideally I want to remove the existing Hub but that means running loads more cable and as we are having an extension next year this will be done then.

When it all goes wrong I cant connect to the devices via the web admin pages and I cant connect to the internet from the office.  When running pings to various devices the results are internittent and long ping times, sometimes into 1000+ms.  Happy to supply a full diagram if it helps.

Would anyone be kind enough to advise where I should start looking to find the problem and any idea what the type of problem could be?  Should I setup a VLAN and what is one?  Do I need to do anything to configure the SFP ports?

All fibre and ethernet cabling between the house and office was professionally installed and tested ok.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Model: GS110TPv2|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit PoE smarta switch,GS728TP|ProSafe 24 ports PoE Smart switch with 8 PoE+ ports
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Bugner
Aspirant

Re: Problems connecting GS728TP to GS110TP using SFP fibre ports

Hi

Yes I finally got to the bottom of the problem. I had a Sonos Play 5 speaker connected to the GS110TP switch.  It had previously been in the house and on a Sonos wifi mesh network. It was still connecting to the mesh network in the house as well as the new wired ethernet link creating a network loop.

I found a way to disable the wifi on the Sonos device which is now connected via Ethernet only and the problem has gone

All seems to be working well now. Thanks for checking back

Kind Regards, Andy

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Bugner,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Let us isolate the problem.  Kindly answer the questions below:

a. Is the Flow Control enabled or disabled on both GS728TP and GS110TP switches?  

b. What is the current firmware version of both GS728TP and GS110TP switches?

c. If you disconnect the GS110TP from the GS728TP, is the connection within the GS728TP just fine?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
Bugner
Aspirant

Hi DaneA

Thanks for the quick response.

Flow Control is disabled on both switches.

Firmware versions

GS728TP, Boot version: 2.0.0.1,  Software version: 6.0.1.16

GS110TP, Boot version: B5.1.0.2,  Software version: 5.4.2.22

I have turned everything off and then turned on only what was always in the house and worked along with both GS728TP and GS110TP.  I have been able to get onto the admin console with both switches and confirm configurations. I have also changed the switches to a fixed I/P address and checked these are in the correct range as set in my DHCP.

I am now going to check each device in the office one by one to see what causes the problem.  Maybe something e.g. Wireless access point has a DHCP server enabled.

Message 3 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Bugner,

Just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to check each device in the office and know the cause of the problem?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 6
Bugner
Aspirant

Hi

Yes I finally got to the bottom of the problem. I had a Sonos Play 5 speaker connected to the GS110TP switch.  It had previously been in the house and on a Sonos wifi mesh network. It was still connecting to the mesh network in the house as well as the new wired ethernet link creating a network loop.

I found a way to disable the wifi on the Sonos device which is now connected via Ethernet only and the problem has gone

All seems to be working well now. Thanks for checking back

Kind Regards, Andy

Message 5 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Bugner,

I'm glad to know that you were able to identify the cause of the problem. 🙂 

Since the problem has been resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements