× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Random Link Loss on ALL GS108Tv3 Switches

cgoodwin73
Aspirant

Random Link Loss on ALL GS108Tv3 Switches

NOTE: GS108Tv3 is not in the Model dropdown list; good going, guys...

I have deployed almost a dozen GS108T switches for a client. Of the (2) v3 units so far, both suffer from random loss of link on whatever port is the uplink from another switch. I am about to deploy a dozen more of these, but this issue is a deal-breaker.

- The uplink source switch currently would be a GS108Tv2, a GS724Tv4, or a GS752TPv2; it occurs when connected to any of these.

- This occurs whether the v3 unit is being powered via PoE on Port 1 or is powered via the AC adapter.

- This occurs with that uplink cable in any of the 8 ports.

- Both switches are running the current 7.0.7.2 firmware.

- All devices are on UPS, of course.

I find no rhyme or reason for this sudden loss of link, except that I can make it happen manually by simply moving the patch cables for local devices (phone, PC, WiFI AP) around from port to port. If I move a live Ethernet cable from any port to another port several times, the uplinked port will completely lose link ("lights out"). All other ports continue operating as normal, but the switch is unreachable from the rest of the network until it is power-cycled.

What's going here?

Message 1 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Random Link Loss on ALL GS108Tv3 Switches

@cgoodwin73,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

As far as I have checked, there is no issue logged for the GS108Tv3 as per described in your initial post.  Was everything working fine before? 

Kindly try to perform a factory reset on your GS108Tv3 switches and reconfigure the settings from scratch.  Then observe if the same problem will occur. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 9
cgoodwin73
Aspirant

There was no "before", this has been an issue since we began receiving v3 switches instead of v2 units. Since I am not onsite daily, it took us a couple of weeks to determine what was happening. These switches have been reset/reconfigured many times with no change/improvement. I also confirmed the same issue when the units are uplinked through fiber adapters as well as other Netgear switches.

The issue has significantly lessened under firmware 7.0.7.2, all units stayed up for more than 24 hours in the last 2 days. I see (1) of these offline again now, the facilities manager is going to take a look at it for me now. I will advise.

Message 3 of 9
cgoodwin73
Aspirant

The facilties manager just confirmed the same issue on an updated v3 switch. He found the unit with no link light/connectivity on the uplink port (port 2). Moving that Ethernet to any other port obtained link. Replacing it back in port 2, no link lights unless the unit is power cycled. This unit is on 7.0.7.2. All units are on UPS, of course. If you have log I can pull, etc. I am happy to do so, but to this point all v3 units have done this repeatedly regardless of where they are on campus.

Message 4 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@cgoodwin73,

Thank you for the update.  Since you already did a factory reset and confirmed that the same issue happened on the updated GS108Tv3 switches, I advised you to open a support ticket with NETGEAR Support here at anytime for further assistance.  Kindly state your concern and the troubleshooting steps you performed to isolate the problem.  You can also include the link to this thread. 

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 9
cgoodwin73
Aspirant

I get a Page Not Found on that link, can you provide a working link? Thanks.

Message 6 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@cgoodwin73,

Kindly try this link below:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/portal/myOnlineTicket.aspx

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 9
cgoodwin73
Aspirant

This fails and so forwards to 500 page: https://www.netgear.com/error-500?aspxerrorpath=/mynetgear/portal/myOnlineTicket.aspx

I am logged into my account when this happens.

Message 8 of 9
cgoodwin73
Aspirant

I figured it out, just go to mynetgear.com.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements