× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replacing a Netgear Managed GS110TP with a Netgear Unmanaged GS 308

aknyc
Aspirant

Replacing a Netgear Managed GS110TP with a Netgear Unmanaged GS 308

Hi - I was trying to replace my home Apple Extreme router with an Eero Pro 6E, and was told by eero that managed switches dont work well with Eero (not really sure why).

I noticed that I have a GS110TP switch in my network. 

Even though it appears that I don't use any of the managed features, I tried replacing the GS110TP with an unmanaged GS308. (keeping the router the same Apple Extreme).   Weirdly, while all green link lights light up in the GS110TP, upon replacement with the GS308 only one (extreme left lit up).  Any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Re: Replacing a Netgear Managed GS110TP with a Netgear Unmanaged GS 308

Each port with a connected device does have a Link LED (on) and activity (flashing) indication. Whatever is connected on the other ports..

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/GS308/GS308_Combined_EN_IG_11Jan2013.pdf

A basic GS308 does not have any loop detection or protection. 

As you still have the GS110TP at hand, you could compare the results, in case you face a hardware issue on that GS308.

Message 2 of 7
aknyc
Aspirant

Hi- Sorry  I am not  following you.  I know what the lights mean.  Why am i getting either a flashing or solid green with the GS110TP but when i swap the 110TP out and replace it with a GS308, I dont get either flashing or solid green on 7 out of the 8 ports.  My question is why might  this be happening.

(might it be because the 110TP has POE while the 308 does not?)

Thanks.

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Any PoE powered devices connected to this GS308, not getting external power? What devices are connected? If there are no link LED indications on externally powered connected devices, I'm tempted to say the switch might be defect. 

https://my.netgear.com/, select the registered switch and serial number, and head to [Request Hardware Support] or let your retailer replace the unit.

Message 4 of 7
aknyc
Aspirant

I dont know what is connected  - it is a pretty extensive and complex home network spanning multiple floors with devices all over the place 🙂  Sounds like either the switch is defective or 7 out of those 8 connections have no external power, correct?

Might you know whether netgear makes an unmanaged 8 port POE switch?

And again, thanks for being so responsive.

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Take the advantage the existing GS110TP isn't an unmanaged switch

Check the PoE port status 

System > PoE > Advanced > PoE Port Configuration.

or

Check the local LLDP status

System > LLDP > Advanced > Local Information.  

Of course, Netgear does offer various unamanged PoE and PoE+ capable switch varints - a little bit difficult to propose something, without knowing what is in place, what needs to be PoE powered, ...

https://www.netgear.com/business/solutions/poe/devices/listing-filter/smbn-poe-switch-category-unman... 

Message 6 of 7
aknyc
Aspirant

Thanks.  In case you are - very reasonably - wondering why I would replace a 110TP with an unmanaged switch, I am changing my old apple extreme router paired with a 9 year old Ruckus Zone Director and WAP system to an all Eero router/WAP configuration.  The eero install is not going properly.  Eero says their stuff  doesn't work with managed switches, hence my experimentation.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements