Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No volumes or USB disks via ReadyCLOUD - ReadyNAS 104

Sheen
Aspirant

Re: No volumes or USB disks via ReadyCLOUD - ReadyNAS 104

Last night I disabled disk spin down. I left the NAS overnight and did not interact with it locally before leaving home this morning.

I logged onto Readycloud Portal mid morning and was pleaseantly surprised to find the NAS was both online and browsable. I was able to download a document and upload two or three.

I checked access via the Android app and could browse without issues.

Its great I can access my files again.

I'm now wondering if one of the recent updates has affected devices with disk spin down enabled.

I have had disk spin down enabled for quite some time now and it hasn't proven to be an issue with older firmware versions. A rough guess tells me I hav been encountering the issue with the last two or so firmware versions.

Is this something which will have to go to the development team for testing?

I would like to return to using disk spindown someday.

Regards

Sheen 

Message 26 of 46
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Sheen,

Since you manage to access the files again I would recommend to backup the content of your Readynas specially those files that are used in production to be on the safeside. We have not seen any other forum post that refers to disk spin down and the latest releases of firmware. 

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 27 of 46
Sheen
Aspirant

Hi Marty,

Thanks for the reply.

Are you suggesting a backup because there are further steps you are going to recommend?

Regards

Sheen

Message 28 of 46
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Sheen,

The recommendation was just to be safe side and since we have already have access to the data.    

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 29 of 46
Sheen
Aspirant

Hi Marty, 

I'm somewhat confused with your comment: "we already have access to the data".
What do you mean? You have access to my data stored on the NAS? Logs from the NAS itself?

Having disk spindown disabled is a workaround. What is the plan to provide a solution?

Many thanks

Sheen

Message 30 of 46
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Sheen,

What I mean was since the data on the NAS is accessible it is always a good idea to have a backup for disaster recovery. 

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 31 of 46
Sheen
Aspirant

Hi Marty, 

Thanks for the clarification.

What is the next step to resolve the issue completely?

Regards

Sheen

Message 32 of 46
StephenB
Guru

@Sheen wrote:

I'm somewhat confused with your comment: "we already have access to the data".
What do you mean? You have access to my data stored on the NAS? Logs from the NAS itself?

He was just answering your question on why he was suggesting a backup - saying it was precautionary.  You had access to the data volume, so a backup was possible.

@Sheen wrote:

Having disk spindown disabled is a workaround. 

I agree.  It'd be useful to know if anyone else has seen this.

Message 33 of 46
Sheen
Aspirant

Hi All,

New information to add.

The night before last I was copying files from my local (LAN connected) PC to the NAS. File transfer was very slow. Windows file transfer time estimate for a 200mb file was 30mins! I let the transfer run and walked away, later returning to copy a 250MB file. This time the estimate was 50mins. I left the transfer in progress and went to bed.

Yesterday I logged on remotely to add a small pdf file to the NAS. The NAS was again 'offline'.

I arrived home and logged into the local web interface. Initially it loaded slowly but then responded quite normally. I noticed the 250mb file transfer I had left transferring the night before, had failed. The error message was something to the effect that the server was no longer contactable.

I rebooted the NAS from the web interface and it came back online. I transferred the second 250mb file. It was faster this time.

I attempted to watch a show from my NAS via my Xbox (using the native Xbox media player app). The files I had transferred previously (mentioned above) were not found in the location I had copied them, even though I could see the files in the correct location on my windows PC.

The only way I was able to watch the shows via xbox was to browse to the files (on the NAS) via my Windows 10 PC and cast this to the xbox. First 5-10seconds were glitchy but then playback worked fine without any issues. Watched the show and went to bed.

This morning I log onto my local computer and check the NAS. I cannot contact it via the web interface and I cannot browse the NAS via Windows explorer. I single press the power button on the NAS to check its status, its powered on and shows its IP address and hostname on the built in LCD. Nothing I do seems to be able to contact the NAS. Web interface, windows explorer, even the android app - all fail.

I manually shut down the NAS gracefully, leave it off for about 30 seconds and power it back on before leaving for work.

I arrived at work and logged into the Readycloud portal. The NAS is showing as offline even though I freshly booted it up 30mins ago. I have a short commute so I expected it to be fine after a manual reboot.

I am wondering if there is some kind of NIC issue with the NAS? Its strange to not be able to contact the NAS locally.

Any ideas?

Regards

Sheen

Message 34 of 46
StephenB
Guru

What firmware are you running?

What services and apps do you have enabled on the NAS?

Message 35 of 46
Sheen
Aspirant

Firmware 6.7.5

Only services I have running is ReadyCloud and DLNA.

Not using any apps - I am a basic user in terms of what the device is capable of.

Hoping I have understood your second question correctly.

Message 36 of 46
StephenB
Guru

For services, you almost certainly have SMB running also (perhaps some others like AntiVirus).

There are a variety of third-party apps (plex being one) that can be installed on your NAS.  But it sounds like you haven't done that.

Have you tried installing RAIDar on a PC?  It should be able to detect the NAS and give you some status information.

Message 37 of 46
Sheen
Aspirant

Yes, SMB is definitely running. I would have to double check Anti-virus. I can't think of any others off the top of my head. I went with default services plus whatever else I needed to be able to utilise media files from Xbox and smart TVs.

I definitely don't have any apps in use. Plex or any others. Apps were something I wanted to explore but never got the time to research. I'm not really one to just tinker and turn things on without doing some prior reading.

I have not installed RAIDar but I am happy to give it a try. Could you please give me a URL to download it for Win10?

Have you formed any opinion at this stage as to what the problem might be?

Regards

Sheen

Message 38 of 46
StephenB
Guru

The download link is https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads

Have you been able to try local access again (both https and file explorer)?

I don't have a any idea yet. 

Message 39 of 46
Sheen
Aspirant

Thanks for the download link StephenB.

I had to depart for work so I didn't have a chance to check local access following the reboot. I will check that upon returning home this afternoon and report back to this thread.

Regards
Sheen

Message 40 of 46
Sheen
Aspirant

I have invested some more time into this based on the more recent suggestions within this thread.

Installed RAIDar. Result is that the software sees the NAS intermittently. When the NAS is running reliably, RAIDar sees the NAS the entire time. When it reverts to slow speed, RAIDar only sees the device internittently.

I encountered another serious instance of slowness this week. I was attempting to transfer a 260MB file to the NAS and the best speed I could achieve was 500kb per second. Windows estimate to transfer this file was between 11-15 munites. The transfer failer several times so I was forced to transfer the file from my PC to the NAS but USB drive. I tired to play a media file off the NAS whilst it was in this state and playback was glitchy with random freezing. I checked the disk health of physical disks via the NAS interface, all reporting as 'healthy' with green indication across the board.

A previous suggestion was to bypass the netgear switch which all of my cabled outlets connect back to in a star topology.

I traced the wall port cabling for my windows 10 PC and the NAS and connected both of these to the Nighthawk R7000 router directly.

File transfer increased to approx 36MB however the NAS was still 'offline' via ReadyCloud website until I browsed to it locally. Then the NAS could be browsed in ReadyCloud.

I left the NAS to idle overnight and tried again to access the NAS via ReadCloud website when I arrived at work this morning. Same result. The NAS shows as 'offline'.

So whilst I do see an improvement with file transfer (I will confirm if speeds stay consistent), I am in the same situation with regards to ReadyCloud access.

From here on I will be testing media streaming to see if video playback has improved and I will also monitor internet speed on my windows 10 PC to try and determine if there are any issues with the cabled ports on the R7000.

I can confirm that all internet traffic via wireless from the R7000 has been running at full link speed without issue. This indicates the wireless portion of the R7000 is working fine, as is my internet providers optical modem.

The modifications to my network topology will hopefully lend more clues as to the culprit.

Regards

Sheen

Message 41 of 46
StephenB
Guru

FWIW, I think you have two separate issues - ReadyCloud and the slowdown.

@Sheen wrote:

Installed RAIDar. Result is that the software sees the NAS intermittently. When the NAS is running reliably, RAIDar sees the NAS the entire time. When it reverts to slow speed, RAIDar only sees the device internittently.

I encountered another serious instance of slowness this week.

Was this after you connected bypassed the Netgear switch?  What model switch is it? 

Message 42 of 46
Sheen
Aspirant

I post was written chronologically from oldest event to most recent. 

The issues with RAIDar occurred before I bypassed the switch, and the same with the slowness.

I bypassed the switch and my local file transfer speed increased but I still encountered the described issue with ReadyCloud.

Since bypassing the switch I have tried watching a media file via xbox and it worked fine. Interestingly in this situation, the NAS is connected directly to the R7000 router and the Xbox still connected to the switch.

The switch from memory is a Netgear FS116. Its a 16 port 10/100 unmanaged switch.

Message 43 of 46
StephenB
Guru

@Sheen wrote:

The switch from memory is a Netgear FS116. Its a 16 port 10/100 unmanaged switch.

The NAS of course is gigabit.  The RN104 is entry level, but it still is faster than 100 mbit ethernet.  

For best performance, you should upgrade the switch (and use at least cat 5e cabling).  Alternatively connect all your gigabit devices (including the NAS) to the router directly.

I am wondering if your switch is simply failing.

Message 44 of 46
Sheen
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

Yes you are right. The NAS is faster than the switch I have had it connected to. I accpeted that during initial installation and until I started this thread, I had no concerns with transfer speeds, streaming or remote access. I agree though, the switch could be failing. I am currently looking to replace it with the equivalent in gigabit and perhaps some PoE ports as well.

This still doesn't explain though how the NAS was 'offline' via readycloud once I had plugged it into the router directly.

I have checked the last two days upon arriving at work and confirm I have actually been able to see it when logging in. The day before that was a different story. I will continue to monitor with the interim configuration.

Regards

Sheen

Message 45 of 46
StephenB
Guru

@Sheen wrote:

This still doesn't explain though how the NAS was 'offline' via readycloud once I had plugged it into the router directly.

I agree.

I don't use ReadyCloud though, so I don't have much advice to offer there.  I use OpenVPN for remote access (it's built into my Orbi router).

Message 46 of 46
Discussion stats
  • 45 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements