Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Open edit files remotely

BrandonK
Aspirant

Open edit files remotely

We recently got a readynas netgear server. The server has a share with excel files on it, 1TB of files. I would like to work on a file at the office (no problems so far). Go home open the same file work on it and save it. I would prefer if at home it was like at the office where i could quickly open the file work on it and save it without having to download the file from the internet, work on it, save it locally, then reupload and get rid of the old version.

I had thought readycloud app did that, however now that i have it installed and working presumablly its trying to "sync" to my PC. I have a small SSD 100gb but i would like the capacity to work on all the files in our 1TB readynas server.

Will readycloud app allow me the ability to work on any of the files of the 1TB even though i only have 100gb of space on my computer or is it going to try to "sync" all 1TB on my computer locally? Is there a way to map the drive remotely or be able to work on the files remotely without taking up all my computer space at home???

I had though that was one of the points of the server.

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Open edit files remotely

You should be able to access the shares by entering  \\nas-name or \\nas-ip-address into the windows file explorer address bar (using the real name and IP address).

If you are using the ReadyCloud VPN connection, you need to use the VPN address (5.x.x.x), and not the IP address you'd see in the office.

You can also map the NAS to a network drive.

Message 2 of 4
BrandonK
Aspirant

Okay so normally if im at the office i can type in the IP address of the Readynas to pull up the admin dashboard. If i want to map the drive on any computer there at the office i can go to computer>map network drive> \\###.###.##.###\ hit browse. Then i can see the share and map it. No problems.

However at home when i do the same thing and hit browse it just shows "Network". Cant see the share and when i click on network it just shows the home computer.  (and maybe im using the wrong IP ? Its the same one i use to map at the office or access the admin dashboard) Is there a different i IP i should be using when trying to map a remote computer?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@BrandonK wrote:

Is there a different i IP i should be using when trying to map a remote computer?

Yes.  As I said above, Readycloud uses 5.x.x.x IP addresses.

Perhaps trying pinging the NAS by name when you are connected remotely.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements