× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to remove USB share?

HolgerGT86
Guide

How to remove USB share?

Hello all,

I'm running a ReadyNAS 104 at level 6.4.1 RC1.

1. I connected my external Taurus disk drive to the back top USB connector
  2. I than run a backup from ReadyNAS to the external Taurus disk drive
  3. I got a share called USB_HDD_1
  4. I ejected the external Taurus disk drive and disconnected it from USB
  5. at this point the ReadyNAS did not show any USB drive connected nor did I see an USB share
  6. I connected the same external disk drive to the eSATA connector at the back
  7. the ReadyNAS showed eSATA-2_ExternalRAID volume on the overview screen and the USB_HDD_1 share was displayed again
  8. I new formatted the eSATA connected disk drive with EXT4
  9. I now see 2 shares: ESATA_HDD_1 and USB_HDD_1

How do I get rid of the USB_HDD_1 share which does no longer exist? There's no delete option.

Do I need to "reset" the known USB devices on the ReadyNAS? If yes: how do I do this?

Many thanks,

Holger

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: How to remove USB share?

Hi HolgerGT86,

It is a cache of the previously connected external USB hard drive and probably it wasn't unplugged properly. If you will restart the unit, will you still see the USB_HDD_1 share or directory?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
HolgerGT86
Guide

I just noticed that the USB_HDD_1 still shows up under media when browsing for a local backup target, although the drive is not USB but eSATA connected. eSATA_HDD_1 shows up in parallel which is correct.

Message 2 of 5
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi HolgerGT86,

It is a cache of the previously connected external USB hard drive and probably it wasn't unplugged properly. If you will restart the unit, will you still see the USB_HDD_1 share or directory?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 5
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

If it's still there after a reboot, all you should need to do is make any setting change to any share.  That should force an update of the share definitions.

Message 4 of 5
HolgerGT86
Guide

Thanks for your replies.

Restarting the ReadyNAS resolved the issue. The USB share is gone.

Before the restart, after ejecting the eSATA devices, I could still see the USB share and I could even browse it without error message. It did not show any data but I was allowed to browse it. Weird.

Anyway ... it's resolved.

Many thanks!

Holger

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements