× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

4.2.20 [T40] Could this be the one?

btaroli
Prodigy

4.2.20 [T40] Could this be the one?

51+ hours on T34 and still chugging. I /am/ noticing that the Transmission web page (which I tend to leave up on one computer at home all the time... I /know/....) has timed out a few times overnight, but all the clients, including my Time Machine backups, media PC, etc have all been solid.

I guess I'll feel better once I get past the magic 72 hour mark that plagued the last two builds... but I'm hopeful!
Message 1 of 16
irishkeet
Tutor

Re: 4.2.20 [T34] Could this be the one?

Hi
just wondering where you got the T34 edition

thanks
irishkeet
Message 2 of 16
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

The T34 edition of the 4.2.20 firmware has not become publicly available yet. It has been a controlled release by the Jedi council. I am sure that if it becomes one of the more prominent fixes; we will see it on Chirpa's main posting for 4.2.20.
Message 3 of 16
btaroli
Prodigy

Well, just had a strangest meltdown on my home network. It had all the appearance of a DOS, but some things actually kept working. I rebooted the lot and it seems happier now.

As for the ReadyNAS, it wasn't pinging or responding on the network but it did cleanly shutdown from the FP. So I'm not counting this as a recurrence, as more than just the NAS were affected. 😞
Message 4 of 16
btaroli
Prodigy

No recurrence of issue now in past 71 hours. I am noticing occasional packet drops by continuous ping. In one hour today it reported 2.5% packet loss. This is from a Mac connected via 1GbE on same switch. But I haven't observed any impact to actual usage. Seems like I shouldn't be getting that kind of loss (NAS CPU is 65%+ idle) and I/O is very low.

Still, no more hangs so far.
Message 5 of 16
AMRivlin
Apprentice

When users (you) are using (T## beta releases) are you backed up to another NAS? or confident you can always revert to a stable release (in this case 4.2.19)

Also what does it take for a T## to go gold (or be pushed out as a stable release)?
Message 6 of 16
btaroli
Prodigy

AMRivlin wrote:
When users (you) are using (T## beta releases) are you backed up to another NAS? or confident you can always revert to a stable release (in this case 4.2.19)

Also what does it take for a T## to go gold (or be pushed out as a stable release)?

You'd probably get better responses by starting a new thread rather than piggy-backing.

Backup policies shouldn't vary depending upon whether someone is participating in a beta, as a general rule. If you are production mission-critical production, you probably won't be doing beta in that mode. If your NAS isn't hypercritical, then some downtime is acceptable and beta may be an option. It's up to the individual to decide the risk/benefit.

Whether a release goes gold is up to Netgear.
Message 7 of 16
btaroli
Prodigy

Downgrading to T32 to sanity check that problem there still persists.

One thing I'm noticing is that the Dropbox addon is very sensitive to OS changes. I've had to reinstall it each time just in order to get it to even start up. For reference, version is 1.2.49-rnx86-0.2.25. I'll follow that up separately as well, but wanted to note it here just in case it turns up somehow relevant.
Message 8 of 16
btaroli
Prodigy

Well, this is interesting... where I had been seeing 1.0-2.5% packet loss on simple ping within LAN on T34, I'm seeing 0.1% packet loss on T32. Only about 8 hours in, so unsure whether I will again experience the hang -- that was within 72 hours on the last couple of releases. I just found the difference in packet loss (with nominal to low traffic/activity) very interesting, given that the change between them had to do solely with the network driver.
Message 9 of 16
btaroli
Prodigy

Had another recurrence of non-response, but again it seems like all devices were DOS'ed with a packet storm. I suspect this is coming from my DSL router/bridge (UConnect POS) and storm didn't stop until that was rebooted. Throughout, the NAS stayed responsive at FP, so the behavior was not consistent with the other hang scenarios I reported.
Message 10 of 16
btaroli
Prodigy

OK. Just had a bonefide hang on 4.2.20 [T39]. Was still seeing ping response, but all protocols (including top running over ssh) hung completely. The output from top at the time it stopped responding was:

top - 01:01:13 up 11:13,  1 user,  load average: 2.89, 1.14, 0.56
Tasks: 119 total, 15 running, 104 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
Cpu(s): 0.0%us, 0.2%sy, 0.0%ni, 0.0%id, 99.8%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Mem: 1021644k total, 991872k used, 29772k free, 37756k buffers
Swap: 2096892k total, 0k used, 2096892k free, 548756k cached

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
3332 root 20 0 2176 1136 672 R 93 0.1 0:14.84 monitor_enclosu
2207 root 20 0 1700 356 284 R 0 0.0 0:23.55 klogd
19741 root 20 0 2328 1088 824 R 0 0.1 0:08.28 top
1 root 20 0 2068 636 540 S 0 0.1 0:01.00 init

Not sure why monitor_enclosu(re) would be running at 93% CPU... but there it is. Submitting logs to chirpah as well.
Message 11 of 16
btaroli
Prodigy

Had another packet storm tonight. This time I restarted just one component of my network and that restored to normal operation. Powerline module -- HDX111. I have three in use and a fourth as spare. I think I may need to try and swap in the spare to see whether this will help alleviate this particular symptom. Always fun tracking down an unrelated issue when also experiencing real beta bugs. 😉
:nashammer:
Message 12 of 16
btaroli
Prodigy

Spare HDX111 swapped in and, just for good measure, I reset all three to default settings and enabled security (+rotating net ID and encryption key). Since I only had to reset ONE of the three to clear the storm condition, I've replaced that one with my spare. We shall see if it helped. 😄
:naskiller:
Message 13 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Better to use wired ethernet than ethernet over power if at all possible. Using ethernet over power can be hit and miss. It may work well or it may not depending on a variety of factors including what the electrical wiring is like.

Wonder if any of the other affected users are also using Powerline (or similar) adapters?
Message 14 of 16
btaroli
Prodigy

Well, I'd say that after several years (two at the present location) they've generally proved themselves. 😉 the only real change in this environment he been 4.2.20. Under 4.2.17 and 4.2.19 this symptom never occurred. Based on other communication, I understand that this behavior has been observed with HDX devices in the past, but they weren't able to call this as a device failure or driver incompatibility. Some other troubleshooting scenarios have been proposed. But for now we'll see what happens with a new unit in place.

The good news is that this behavior is quite discernible from the NAS hang issue, which is really the focus here... And /is/ still happening on T39.
Message 15 of 16
btaroli
Prodigy

Re: 4.2.20 [T40] Could this be the one?

After switching to the backup HDX adapter, there's been no recurrence of the packet flood. Very pleased about that.

Also it seems that the T40 build has been very well behaved. No longer do I nervously check the NAS for life each time I happen by. 😄
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements