× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

6.1.6 [RC6] OK to factory reset now, before GA?

btaroli
Prodigy

6.1.6 [RC6] OK to factory reset now, before GA?

Yes, it's beta. But I'm poised to prepare and factory reset a 516 (have a Pro6 for backup) with this build. BUT, I'm wondering... could we wind up having to factory reset again between now and GA? Yeah, maybe it's a silly question... but I'm not above asking them. 😉
Message 1 of 15
super_poussin
Virtuoso

Re: 6.1.6 [RC6] OK to factory reset now, before GA?

Don't think they will touch the fs structure again ( I hope)
Message 2 of 15
btaroli
Prodigy

Well, I noticed that RC6 added a tweak for free block location... sounds like filesystem tuning to me... Which is kind of scary in an RC, but ....
Message 3 of 15
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

That change simply gives the allocator a hint as to where to begin its search for free space. It's not a large or risky change by any means. There should be no need to factory default, no matter which OS version you started with. However, a factory default on 6.1.5 or later should give you better performance over the longer term than a box factory defaulted prior to that.
Message 4 of 15
btaroli
Prodigy

OK. I'll probably do that over this weekend then.
Message 5 of 15
GPCasali
Tutor

Have upgraded to 6.1.6-RC5 then done a factory reset, then upgraded to RC6 on Skywalker's recommendation, due to final tweaks in file system...

Am now finally uploading all data back to the 104.

Some folders and files are reasonably quick, around the 40-45MB/sec, peaks at 50 odd... have even resorted to the phone stopwatch to check timings, and have come up with an average speed of 2.5GB/min (~40MB/sec) on most transfers.

But some larger folders start well, then fall into a heap with speeds steady on 6-7MB/sec. on a 1Gbit connection, via Cat6 cable through a Billion 7800VDPX!

Trying to understand if that is due to network limitations or the NAS finding "free space"?

Currently only filled 300GB out of a total storage capacity of 8.17TB, so can't tell me it's having a hard time finding free space... and always careful to only transfer from one source to the NAS at a time!

Currently trying to transfer a 73GB folder to the NAS at steady speeds of around 8MB/sec. which I am also timing to verify the actual average when finished.

AntiVirus is off, no snapshots on any of the folders/LUNs so nothing that should slow it down...

Can anyone please help me understand where my problem may be?

Cheers
Paul
Message 6 of 15
btaroli
Prodigy

Question. Is the volume still rebuilding? That saps a lot of throughout out of the system until it completes. Strangely it see to log a high amount of read activity and hammers the file cache pretty hard.
Message 7 of 15
GPCasali
Tutor

Thought I had covered all possible questions, but I did not... 😉

As I told Skywalker, I never do two things at once when it comes to network and windows pcs, if you know what I mean!

So no, I waited the 30 odd hours for the full resync to occur after the factory default, then upgraded to RC6.

Only once it was all done and quiet, and after a good night sleep, then and only then I initiated the migration...
Message 8 of 15
btaroli
Prodigy

And I presume you didn't enable AV scanner. I'm actually in the midst of dumping about 7.5TB back onto a 516 after reset on 6.1.6 RC6, during rebuild, with AV, and after 16GB RAM upgrade. Not /speedy/ but solid. Much more impressed than I was back in early 6.0.x beta days. 😉 and to top it off the web UI is actually responsive! 🙂
Message 9 of 15
GPCasali
Tutor

Sorry, thought that disabling AV altogether meant no antivirus activities, period.

Was I mistaken?
Message 10 of 15
btaroli
Prodigy

Nope. Missed that mention.
Message 11 of 15
GPCasali
Tutor

Completed 78GB in over 2.5hrs, a dismal 8MB/sec average... hope this is only due to the size and effort of migrating the large amount of data.

Hey Skywalker, is this considered acceptable?

Only once I got a "device cannot be reached, verify it's connected to the network" business, only had to skip one file and it continued... not ideal but I agree it's better than previous total lock ups!

We'll continue transferring more data and report back.
Message 12 of 15
btaroli
Prodigy

Hmm. I've since supplemented my last two running rsync jobs (doing whole shares) with two rsyncs over manual NFS mount to target two very large subdirectories of one share. Backup jobs are running over private link. Rsync over NFS are on switched connection; shared by AFP connection for time machine. Damn that last one is slow 😞 but that looks to be an AFP issue and not overall performance; this is from Mac OS X 10.9.

Overall I'm pushing about 120MB/sec. Yes I should be able to get faster, but the Pro 6 CPU is starting to max out with four heavy duty rsync sessions. So this seems more CPU bound on the Pro 6 side (4.2.25).
Message 13 of 15
GPCasali
Tutor

Geez, 120MB/sec?!?!? Ok big time NAS envy.... 😞

Do I assume your Pro is a far superior product to my home/office RN104 (in CPU & RAM) or do I have a problem?
Message 14 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes the 6-bay Pro has a very fast CPU and can have up to 8 GB RAM.
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements