× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

6.2.0-T1286 [Beta 1] - "Allow Snapshot Access" ignored

StephenB
Guru

6.2.0-T1286 [Beta 1] - "Allow Snapshot Access" ignored

I am able to see and access \\NASNAME\SHARENAME\.snapshots - but "Allow Snapshot Access" is not checked.

In 6.1.9 the .snapshots folder did not exist in the share directory unless "Allow Snapshot access" was enabled.
Message 1 of 11
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

Re: 6.2.0-T1286 [Beta 1] - "Allow Snapshot Access" ignored

If you disable the Show Hidden Folder is appears fine....

There were some changes with the snapshot locations and I am sure there might have been something that was over looked in this regard.
I will file an internal bug to start tracking it. I can look into the issue in more details tomorrow.

@Stephen
When I checked on my unit at home it was an upgrade. Are you experiencing this on an upgrade or a factory default unit?

Thanks!
Message 2 of 11
StephenB
Guru

OOM-9 wrote:
If you disable the Show Hidden Folder is appears fine....
Yes - I should have mentioned that the .snapshots folder was hidden with CIFS (and of course is hidden in linux). But of course it is still accessible if you know it exists (even if you aren't showing hidden folders).

OOM-9 wrote:
@Stephen
When I checked on my unit at home it was an upgrade. Are you experiencing this on an upgrade or a factory default unit?
An upgrade from 6.1.9. .snapshots did not appear before. However after the 6.2 install, the Web UI said it was upgrading the snapshots on all shares. Possibly that is what created them.
Message 3 of 11
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

It does appear to newer option for the snapshot folder management.

There are some changes in the newer internal builds that is addressing part of this issue.
Message 4 of 11
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

I was looking into more detail in this area.

Do you know the permissions on the FS of the .snapshot folder?
ls -alh /data/*/ | egrep '/data/|.snapshots'

Note: $data is the volume.

I am interested on what results you might have one your unit.
Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

All are set to
drwxr-x---  1 root  admin  126 Oct  2 00:33 .snapshots

The share ownership is admin/admin
Message 6 of 11
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

"Allow Snapshot Access" is really just a poorly-named option. On all existing releases, access to snapshots was never actually disabled -- you could always get to them using Windows' built-in Previous Versions function. "Allow Snapshot Access" simply makes snapshots visible via normal share browsing.
Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Skywalker wrote:
"Allow Snapshot Access" is really just a poorly-named option. On all existing releases, access to snapshots was never actually disabled -- you could always get to them using Windows' built-in Previous Versions function. "Allow Snapshot Access" simply makes snapshots visible via normal share browsing.
My recollection is that in 6.1.9 and before, the .snapshots folder only appeared in the share if "allow snapshot access" was checked. Of course it always appeared in /data/._shares/sharename/.snapshots

See for instance this thread: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=77037
Message 8 of 11
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

On 6.1.9 and earlier, "Allow Snapshot Access" would give you a "snapshots" directory (not hidden, no '.') with links inside to /volume/._shares/sharename/.snapshots/*. But, again, access to snapshots was never actually disabled -- you could always get to them using Windows' built-in Previous Versions function.
Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Skywalker wrote:
On 6.1.9 and earlier, "Allow Snapshot Access" would give you a "snapshots" directory (not hidden, no '.') with links inside to /volume/._shares/sharename/.snapshots/*. But, again, access to snapshots was never actually disabled -- you could always get to them using Windows' built-in Previous Versions function.
The connection to Window's Previous Versions is new information for me, I had no idea that was connected to the snapshots. I'll need to play with that - thanks for pointing it out.

The new behavior (with .snapshots existing in the share) will have negative consequences on share backup even if the folder is hidden. I'll never want to back up snapshots, but would want to back up other hidden files. Frontview doesn't support folder exclusion for all protocols, which makes it difficult to work around.

Having a checkbox that is checked by default and excludes snapshots for all protocols would be one way to resolve this. It would need to function on both remote and local sources.

Though I'd rather not have .snapshots in the share at all if "Allow Snapshot Access" is clear.
Message 10 of 11
martinhj
Apprentice

The windows previous versions functionality is what I use so often at work and was a big reason why I upgraded to the new RN104. It's a great bit of functionality to have.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements