× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 6.4.1 killed network speed

dannieboiz
Aspirant

6.4.1 killed network speed

Just updated to the latest release and my network speed went from avg 80-100mbps to 2-3mbps. Tried this on all my PC and it's true no matter where. 

Message 1 of 60
pinky2000
Guide

Same thing for me and many others... Just waiting for Netgear to fix it.

Message 2 of 60
Chairface
Tutor

I upgraded from 6.4.1-T35 (Beta 3) to 6.4.1 final and no problems here.  I do have IPV6 disabled.

Message 3 of 60
dannieboiz
Aspirant

For whatever reason, my problem went away. 

Only change I made was disable the built in AV

Message 4 of 60
cpu8088
Virtuoso

anti virus should be an app not to be integrated as a system feature.

i never use this anti virus function and the red dot showing still bugs me

Message 5 of 60
StephenB
Guru

@cpu8088 wrote:

i never use this anti virus function and the red dot showing still bugs me

I'm a little puzzled here.  I have always had antivirus turned off in services, and I am not seeing any red dot.

Message 6 of 60
cpu8088
Virtuoso

the red dot is in the admin page uI

Message 7 of 60
StephenB
Guru

Ok, the antivirus disabled.

Honestly, I see no problem here.  Netgear has much more important areas to address.

Message 8 of 60
matmar
Guide

I also have slow speed...

In addition i am unable to see the server in network ?!? Windows 10 issue ?

I hope a quick update...

Message 9 of 60
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi matmar,

Can you confirm if you can ping the ReadyNAS in your network? Perhaps, download and open the RAIDar utility to see if it's being detected. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 60
matmar
Guide

probleme with ping. In addition t oslow copy I also face a major issue trying copiyng large amount of dat.

I alway get a strange message (see my poste strang message)

There must be an issue with this firmware....

Netgear shall do something.

Can it be a probleme related to bios ? Since 6.4.X i face this issue..or kernel issue ?!?

Message 11 of 60
matmar
Guide

No probleme with ping. I access to nas also. Plex and lms working.
Only very very slow copy and bug leading to strange message when copying 100Go...
And nas accessible un network with win 7, notre win 10...
This firmware seems buggy and need urgent update for corrections.
Thanks un advance
Message 12 of 60
DonSimon76
Aspirant

Just checking in. Everything was working great until I did the 6.4.1 update yesterday. Now it seems like the connection is randomly freezing, it doesn't show up on the network anymore (you have to type it in and then it is there). This is extremely frustrating!

Message 13 of 60
dannieboiz
Aspirant

After thinking of the event, the night before almost immediately after the update I added another disk to my system. The slowness I experience could be related to the syncing process. 

Message 14 of 60
DonSimon76
Aspirant

Stayed up way too late trying ideas. After the update, I couldn't access the folders through the original username and password but could access through the ReadyNas interface throught the browser. I created a new share folder and moved everything over to the new one. 2 of the 3 top level folders were working fine but the other one kept screaming access denied. All permissions looked good on the ReadyCloud admin page. I went through Windows and checked the security settings and that is where I saw that the permissions didn't match. I didn't think to check that initially because the backup software would try to run and get stuck and then I couldn't access the NAS through Windows, it would just hang. It didn't act like I would expect for having access denied. On a whim, I checked and saw the permissions didn't match and was probably the culprit, I searched how to change the permissions for that folder but only could find how to do it at the top level and changing that wasn't doing anything. Then I found the Reset Permissions button that resets all permissions to the default where everyone has access. Clicked that and about 4 minutes later, I was able to access everything at normal speeds manually through Windows as well as with my backup software. I then went in and was able to set the permissions how I needed them to be. It looks like things are good for me now. I still have another system or two to verify they are working with it but so far all my systems are accessing it fine and at the kinds of speeds I would normally expect.

It was just weird how the permissions went all wonky when they were working fine before the update. It didn't impact me like I would have exapected if it was a permissions issue which is why it took me a while to get there. 

Message 15 of 60
Andrewb-Can
Aspirant

My problem is very similar to the others. I updated to 6.4.1 during a routine change of shares. I have reversed those shares and removed the AV app after reading this thread. Still the same. I can see the ReadyNAS and access the files but what used to take microseconds now takes many minutes. The files on the NAS are now unworkable due to the slowness. I store photographs and only very small directories will open. Larger ones with many files just sit there. I can ping the IP at >1ms. Could the problem be RAID overheads due to the new firmware. I am no expert.

Message 16 of 60
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Andrewb-Can,

Welcome to the community!

Is there an active backup job running? Are you using snapshots in your shares? Is the volume resyncing?

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 17 of 60
Andrewb-Can
Aspirant

BrianL

Thank you for your response.

I have no backups running nor any scheduled.

I have not set up snapshots and do not believe that any are running.

As best I can tell there is no sync process in operation.

Message 18 of 60
Andrewb-Can
Aspirant

BrianL

I have checked the logs and each snapshot that has run has completed successfully. There are none running now.

Message 19 of 60
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send your logs in (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 20 of 60
matmar
Guide

Reverted back to 6.4.0 and network speed has been a lot improved even if not as quick as before 6.4 update. (31 Mo/s with 6.4.0 and I had 56 Mo/s before)

There must an issue, kernel issue ? (main change of 6.4 serie)

Also i can't see the nas under network computer with win 10. Ok with win 7 but not with win 10...

I recommend to people with network speed ti revert back to 6.4.0

Message 21 of 60
StephenB
Guru

@matmar wrote:

I recommend to people with network speed ti revert back to 6.4.0

I suggest turning off the antivirus service first (unless you depend on it).

Message 22 of 60
matmar
Guide

It is and it was

And the NAS is supposed to work as expected in specs with it...

Thanksd anyway

Message 23 of 60
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello matmar,

We understand how frustrating this is.

Antivirus is contributing to the problem and for the meantime, disabling it is the work around. Engineering is already aware and is working on this problem. Hopefully, a fix will be released soon.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Message 24 of 60
Bilis
Aspirant

Hi, i have the same problem, i need turn off and on then 2120 because the machine not shared in my network, (i had try to connect with ftp, ssh, samba client and the Netgear dyscover and diferent Windows system (10,2012)) My solution it´s downgrade to 6.4.0 with my problems with my usb disk.

Message 25 of 60
Discussion stats
Announcements