× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cifs problems & Firmware 4.1.9_T15

ruzzine
Aspirant

Cifs problems & Firmware 4.1.9_T15

Hi,
i have a little problem with shared folder via CIFS.
I set the default access to my folder on "Disabled", and set to write users only 2 users..and i have disabled the guest access.

With user1 and user2 i can open my share folder, but if a create a txt file with user1, close the file..and after i try to open the same txt file with user2 and put inside the file some text, windows respond me that it's impossible to create file... I have seen the samba logs and during the save process with user2 i have this log:

check_ntlm_password: authentication for user [user2] -> [user2] -> [user2] succeeded
[2012/06/21 10:08:48.686879, 0] smbd/nttrans.c:2298(call_nt_transact_ioctl)
call_nt_transact_ioctl(0x9005c): Currently not implemented.
[2012/06/21 10:10:01.835557, 0] param/loadparm.c:7680(lp_do_parameter)
Ignoring unknown parameter "force writeback"
[2012/06/21 10:10:02.033372, 0] param/loadparm.c:7680(lp_do_parameter)
[2012/06/21 10:10:02.218502, 0] param/loadparm.c:7680(lp_do_parameter)
[2012/06/21 10:10:05.299384, 0] param/loadparm.c:7680(lp_do_parameter)
[2012/06/21 10:10:05.511889, 0] param/loadparm.c:7680(lp_do_parameter)
[2012/06/21 10:10:05.700346, 0] param/loadparm.c:7680(lp_do_parameter)
[2012/06/21 10:16:48.726098, 0] param/loadparm.c:7680(lp_do_parameter)
[2012/06/21 10:16:48.754134, 0] param/loadparm.c:7680(lp_do_parameter)
[2012/06/21 10:16:48.936058, 0] param/loadparm.c:7680(lp_do_parameter)

During the creation of file.. the permission of txt is set to 0644 and user1 is the owner..
With user2 i can rename the file without problems..but if i try to put something else inside the file, i recive that error message.

I have done something wrong or there is something that don't function?
Bye.
ruzzine
Message 1 of 19
ruzzine
Aspirant

Re: Cifs problems & Firmware 4.1.9_T15

I tried to set the default access to my share folder with "Only Read" and "Write/Read" and...i have the same thing.

I have seen a strange think with Putty.. when i had the firmware 4.1.8 the shared folders inside /c had as owner the user with the same name folder. For example.. folder pluto, owner pluto:nogroup and chmod was set to 0775... now.. the owner of every folder is noname:nogroup and chmod is set to 0777.
Uhm...before install the new firmware i have done a factory reset, installed the firmware and after only install EnableROOTssh addon. I haven't done the config restore because i wasn't sure that the cofig files of 4.1.8 firmware are compatible with 4.1.9.
Message 2 of 19
BikeHelmet
Aspirant

Have you tried using the web UI to reset the owner and group of all files in that share?

Are both users in the same group?
Message 3 of 19
techman05
Guide

Could get a head up where the reset owners option is? I think I did something I thought was this and confused things on my share.
Message 4 of 19
StephenB
Guru

techman05 wrote:
Could get a head up where the reset owners option is? I think I did something I thought was this and confused things on my share.
Select the share in share listing (click on the cifs icon), then on the advanced options at the top right.
Message 5 of 19
techman05
Guide

Nah that's what I think I touched that caused my problem. I'm just getting prepped to make a new share and repush my data. You can read my post below yours but something went bad and my share isn't accessible or corrupt.

I was hoping I had missed another solution.
Message 6 of 19
ruzzine
Aspirant

Ok, it's my stupid error!
I just activated the advanced option for cifs protocol and now ..the files created inside shared folder have the right permissions. And with the 2 users i can edit, remove, and add some text inside the files..
Only one think..if i upload a txt file for example, with ftp protocol; the txt file take only the permissions of the user that move the file via ftp.
In this case with user2 i can't modify the txt file uploaded by user1 by ftp
Uhm...on frontview i haven't seen a configuration for permission file via ftp.. perhaps i'll can modify the cfg files of proftpd for put the files inside shared folder with right permissions? ..
Message 7 of 19
lohphat
Aspirant

T15 still has CIFS bug where network stack dies and NV+ is inaccessible. Will try Jun 30 release (out of country currently) but I have a client with an NV+ that's been unable to do large CIFS writes for months now until we tracked down the problem to the firmware.

All we need to do is try to write 300MB files at the share and then no response from box, not even pings. The front panel reset works so the OS isn't totally dead.

Either this is fixed in 4.1.9 or it#s time to replace it with a Synology unit.
Message 8 of 19
techman05
Guide

release 4.1.9 has some fun (light) bugs I think right now so you may want to wait until after the holidays to install just to see if my problems listed in my post get a resolve.
Message 9 of 19
BikeHelmet
Aspirant

I must ask - why do people upgrade firmware on production boxes?

My NV+ is still sitting on 4.1.7... the same firmware as the day I got it. No major issues so far. It seems like all these new versions introduce complications. If I were messing around, I'd have jumped in with all the latest beta/stable versions - but because it's a production box (AKA important), I leave it be when it works.

Now my router is another story... I'm flashing that almost monthly to try out new stuff. 😉 But restoring the firmware/settings on that is a 5 minute procedure if something goes wrong.
Message 10 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

New firmware adds things and provides bug fixes. Firmware updates are generally very stable and I tend to stick on the latest.
Message 11 of 19
techman05
Guide

mdgm wrote:
New firmware adds things and provides bug fixes. Firmware updates are generally very stable and I tend to stick on the latest.

I hope your read my recent post before you go back to your holiday(Netgear is a U.S company).
Message 12 of 19
maxblack
Aspirant

BikeHelmet wrote:
My NV+ is still sitting on 4.1.7... the same firmware as the day I got it. No major issues so far. It seems like all these new versions introduce complications. If I were messing around, I'd have jumped in with all the latest beta/stable versions - but because it's a production box (AKA important), I leave it be when it works.

Only the wisest among us do this i.e. only "upgrade" firmware when the upgrade is advertised to fix a problem we have, or add a feature we need.

The rest of us plunge willy-nilly into every new update for every one of our gizmos and sometimes suffer huge consequences for it! :wink: :lol:
Message 13 of 19
BikeHelmet
Aspirant

maxblack wrote:
The rest of us plunge willy-nilly into every new update for every one of our gizmos and sometimes suffer huge consequences for it! :wink: :lol:

Lol... I'm only "wise" when it comes to my NAS. I bricked a tablet by mucking around with modded firmware, and as I said I'm flashing my router constantly. :lol: But those are my devices - I'd never update a client's devices to beta firmware. (Or even 'stable' firmware unless I had tested it first.) If it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it. 😉
Message 14 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yeah I guess if you really can't afford any downtime then waiting for some other users to try out a firmware update first is a good idea. However considering 4.1.7 was released over 18 months ago if you run into issues depending on what the issue is NetGear support is likely to suggest a firmware update.

There are a number of things that have changed since 4.1.7.
Message 15 of 19
maxblack
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Yeah I guess if you really can't afford any downtime then waiting for some other users to try out a firmware update first is a good idea. However considering 4.1.7 was released over 18 months ago if you run into issues depending on what the issue is NetGear support is likely to suggest a firmware update.

There are a number of things that have changed since 4.1.7.

The key here being of course "if you run into issues". IMO unless you do you're best off to leave the client's NAS alone.
Message 16 of 19
lohphat
Aspirant

"Found bad disk" after update to 4.1.9

There was no problems with the drives before the upgrade ftom the last beta to the release 4.1.9.

When I rebooted it says "found bad disk" when I power off and pop drive 1 it boots but then can't mount the volumes. When I insert drive 1 it doesn't see it even though I hear it spin up.

So much for "RAID" when it has a single point of failure if drive 1 dies.

What are my options here to recover the data?

PS oh and for those of you who warned about upgrading I had to -- the readynas' network stack kept dying on large CIFS writes.
Message 17 of 19
StephenB
Guru

Re: "Found bad disk" after update to 4.1.9

lohphat wrote:
Do you have a Windows PC? I'd begin by checking the drive on a PC with vendor tools. These tests are non-destructive (unless they warn you otherwise before you run them).

One option is to try to clone drive 1 to a replacement disk. There are some software tools that would let you examine the drives.
Message 18 of 19
lohphat
Aspirant

Re: "Found bad disk" after update to 4.1.9

StephenB wrote:
lohphat wrote:
Do you have a Windows PC? I'd begin by checking the drive on a PC with vendor tools. These tests are non-destructive (unless they warn you otherwise before you run them).

One option is to try to clone drive 1 to a replacement disk. There are some software tools that would let you examine the drives.

Interesting the drives were operating fine before the update.

Why can't use unit boot and find the shares without drive 1 then? Isn't this the whole point of RAID?
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements