× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Drive will not spin down? [FIXED IN 6.2.0 Beta]

mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Drive will not spin down?

That FAQ was written for legacy devices and some articles have been updated to also be correct for OS6 devices, but not all.

For current information you should look to the info on support.netgear.com for OS6.
Message 126 of 136
Deano1
Aspirant

OK, thanks for that.
Message 127 of 136
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

6.2.0 beta is now available for those of you who would like to try it: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=77765

Please read the Release Notes carefully before trying this release and also be sure to make sure your backup is up to date before installing the update.
Message 128 of 136
Deano1
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
6.2.0 beta is now available for those of you who would like to try it: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=77765

Please read the Release Notes carefully before trying this release and also be sure to make sure your backup is up to date before installing the update.

Thanks for posting and great to see this. Just as a matter of interest, how long does it normally take for a release to go from Beta to Official?
Message 129 of 136
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Drive will not spin down? [FIXED IN 6.2.0 Beta]

It varies from e.g. a few weeks through to a few months or so.

This is a major release, the biggest change since 6.0.0, so this could be expected to be a longer one, especially when you consider the warnings we have in the release notes compared with what we gave for the 6.1.9 beta.

We are not in a position to provide an ETA at this time. We are keen to release a production release when it is ready.
Message 130 of 136
Deano1
Aspirant

OK, cheers. Good to see that it is on the way though! I've got no way of backing up my data because of the amount of used space so I'm better off waiting unfortunately.

One thing that you might know about the spin-down feature - if your NAS is setup without RAID and 4 disks in JBOD instead, will it spin down the other 3 disks that are not in use? Hopefully it will!!
Message 131 of 136
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Not sure.

We use noflushd for spinning down disks.
Message 132 of 136
StephenB
Guru

Deano wrote:
One thing that you might know about the spin-down feature - if your NAS is setup without RAID and 4 disks in JBOD instead, will it spin down the other 3 disks that are not in use?
I am using jbod on my RN102, and I can confirm that the disks are treated independently.

Here's a log that shows that: viewtopic.php?f=154&t=77842#p435615

You'll see that spin up often occurs together, I am thinking that is either a system activity that reads both volumes (for instance Smart Snapshots), or something writing to the OS partition (which is synced across the disks even in jbod mode, so you can boot off any disk if something fails). But there is at least one case in the linked log where spin-up also happened at different times.
Message 133 of 136
Deano1
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen
Message 134 of 136
Creice
Aspirant

Dear guys at Netgear,
thanks a lot for implementing this feature which I desperately waited for!
Now I can leave my NAS on all day long, with the harddrives spun down.
Thanks a lot again! Now the Netgear NAS has all features I need!
All the best to you working at Netgear!
Christian (from Germany)
Message 135 of 136
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks Christian 🙂

This forum is for beta releases. As the production 6.2.0 release is now available I am locking this thread.

If you have issues with disk spin-down, please open a new thread.
Message 136 of 136
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements