× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

(RESOLVED) 6.1.6 [RC11] Newly installed PLEX app fails to st

btaroli
Prodigy

(RESOLVED) 6.1.6 [RC11] Newly installed PLEX app fails to st

Too much testing at once? Not sure yet what the cause is, but figured I'd report it... after applying RC11, went to test a new PLEX build. It installed but failed to initialize with a rather unhelpful 22002010000 error (from ROS). Tried tracking down cause in logs but nothing especially helpful found.

So... tried rolling back to the previously working 0.9.8.18 build, which WAS working, and now I can't get even that to start successfully. WTH?

How does one diagnose a 22002010000?

For those interested, this was happening as part of testing a unified PLEX package (single file, as opposed to the split-package that happened with initial release on ROS6). https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/ ... ges-intel/
Message 1 of 10
btaroli
Prodigy

Re: 6.1.6 [RC11] Newly installed PLEX app fails to start

The more I dig into this, the more this looks app specific.
Message 2 of 10
btaroli
Prodigy

Re: 6.1.6 [RC11] Newly installed PLEX app fails to start

In case it might be useful to others...

I began by reinstalling 0.9.8.18 (both ros6 and ros6-binaries), and found that several .orig files had no link to the base filename, including the fvapp*service file. 😞 So first I addressed that. Whatever caused that may have interrupted the service setup. So I had to link the service file to /lib/systemd/system/ and /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/. Finally, systemctl reload and systemctl start fvapp-plexmediaserver.service

Interestingly, if I stopped at the reload and tried to start from the Frontview UI, it still failed. I had to kick it using systemctl start to get it running. and then it fired right up.

UPDATE: Detailed steps

# dpkg -i <source>/plex*0.9.8.18*deb

# ln -s <path>/MediaLibrary /apps/plexmediaserver/

# ln -s fvapp-plexmediaserver.service.orig fvapp-plexmediaserver.service

# ln -s logo.png.orig logo.png

# ln -s pre-start.sh.orig pre-start.sh

# find /lib/systemd/ /etc/systemd/ -name '*plexm*' -print

# ln -s /apps/plexmediaserver/fvapp-plexmediaserver.service /lib/systemd/system/

# ln -s /apps/plexmediaserver/fvapp-plexmediaserver.service /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/

# systemctl daemon-reload

# find /lib/systemd/ /etc/systemd/ -name '*plexm*' -print

/lib/systemd/system/fvapp-plexmediaserver.service
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/fvapp-plexmediaserver.service

# systemctl status fvapp-plexmediaserver

fvapp-plexmediaserver.service - Plex Media Server
Loaded: loaded (/apps/plexmediaserver/fvapp-plexmediaserver.service.orig)
Active: inactive (dead)
CGroup: name=systemd:/system/fvapp-plexmediaserver.service

# systemctl start fvapp-plexmediaserver
Message 3 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: (RESOLVED) 6.1.6 [RC11] Newly installed PLEX app fails t

Interesting.

Do you have the hidden .localapp file in the /apps/plexmediaserver folder? If not, if you create it does it make any difference?
Message 4 of 10
btaroli
Prodigy

Good question. I don't believe the file is there but I'll have to check after this restart finishes. Was trying to test a new repackaged 0.9.9.0 bundle that promises to get rid of this two-package mess.
Message 5 of 10
btaroli
Prodigy

No the .localapp file is not present. What is that supposed to do?
Message 6 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I think it can help with getting locally installed apps to work properly (as opposed to installing apps from the apt-get repository).
Message 7 of 10
btaroli
Prodigy

Yeah, but is creating it after re fact of any use? PLEX is something not available via apt-get or from installable list of apps in UI. In fact you probably wouldn't want that because it would preclude getting "PlexPass" early releases. It's more likely something that the package builders would need to address.
Message 8 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I guess the .localapp file shouldn't be needed if installing via the GUI.

Did you install both debs? e.g. following the steps in post #6 here: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/79378-readynas-plex-download/?p=463517
Message 9 of 10
btaroli
Prodigy

(Chuckles) I wrote a more step-by-step one earlier but in a diff forum there. Yes, this was doing a /fresh/ install of 0.9.8.18 after doing some testing upgrading with a newly unified 0.9.9.0 bundle that isn't quite ready for prime time yet. What I'm learning is that there are some real packaging problems. It's fine as long as you only ever upgrade, and start with the original bundled PLEX version bundled with ROS6. Doing a clean install isn't quite as smooth. Thankfully it's being addressed. The good news is that we'll soon no longer need two packages 🙂
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements