× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 UPS errors on disk spinup

martinhj
Apprentice

RN104 UPS errors on disk spinup

Ive had this error for a long time now and been doing some investigation as it still exists.

i have an APC Backup CS-650 connected to an RN104 (6.2.4). I get no end of email warnings and log messages regarding UPS connection errors:

Thu May 28 2015 3:17:35
System: Communication with UPS 'UPS1' () is OK.
Thu May 28 2015 3:17:13
System: Error communicating with UPS 'UPS1' ().
Tue May 26 2015 15:10:31
Tue May 26 2015 15:10:24
Tue May 26 2015 13:17:20
Tue May 26 2015 13:17:13
Tue May 26 2015 12:30:18
Tue May 26 2015 12:30:01
Tue May 26 2015 2:17:21
Tue May 26 2015 2:17:14
Tue May 26 2015 1:07:19
Tue May 26 2015 1:07:12
System: Error communicating with UPS 'UPS1' ()

Having had a look in the logs my suspicions have been confirmed that these actually coincide with disk-spinups (I have spindown enabled) but not every spinup causes the error:

May 26 01:07:12 NAS_104 noflushd[1220]: Spinning up disk 3 (/dev/sdb) after 0:19:19.
May 26 01:07:12 NAS_104 noflushd[1220]: Spinning up disk 2 (/dev/sdc) after 0:19:16.
May 26 01:07:12 NAS_104 noflushd[1220]: Spinning up disk 1 (/dev/sdd) after 0:19:14.
May 26 01:07:22 NAS_104 noflushd[1220]: Spinning up disk 4 (/dev/sda) after 0:19:31.

Any help as this is getting a bit annoying and masking when I have a real power/UPS error

Martin
Message 1 of 16
martinhj
Apprentice

Re: RN104 UPS errors on disk spinup

Not quite sure if or why it would make any difference but I changed the spindown time from 30mins down to 25mins and I have only had a singe UPS warning since my last post...far less than previously...

Martin
Message 2 of 16
BaJohn
Virtuoso

There have been other posts on this subject See http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=80273 as one example.
Suggestions are faulty UPS, the signalling cable between NAS and UPS, BUT this is the first time I have heard of spindown/spinup having an effect.
I will investigate on my NAS to see if mine is similar, although I doubt it as it happens during day, and spindown is at night.
This problem seems to be relatively widespread, and of interest is that my UPS is the APC Backup CS-650, same as yours.

Oh re
...far more than previously...
I think you men 'less' rather than 'more'. (You can edit your own post to correct) 🙂 .
Message 3 of 16
StephenB
Guru

I have seen similar messages on my RN102 with my cyberpower ups - most recently with 6.2.2: https://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopi ... =7&t=79312.

Spindown is enabled on the RN102 right now, but I am not getting these messages at present.

I don't think it was my UPS or cables. It looked more like a software contention issue to me (the disk activity created some sort of timeout for the UPS task).

Perhaps try turning off spindown for a few days, and confirm that it only happens during spinup.
Message 4 of 16
vandermerwe
Master

Yes I see this too, often (but not always) related to spin up events, on a 316.
Started with 6.2.2 I think.

I reported it a while ago:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=81105

I needed to upgrade my UPS anyway so I'm going to see if the nas loses connection with the new one.
Message 5 of 16
martinhj
Apprentice

BaJohn wrote:
There have been other posts on this subject See http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=80273 as one example.
Suggestions are faulty UPS, the signalling cable between NAS and UPS, BUT this is the first time I have heard of spindown/spinup having an effect.
I will investigate on my NAS to see if mine is similar, although I doubt it as it happens during day, and spindown is at night.
This problem seems to be relatively widespread, and of interest is that my UPS is the APC Backup CS-650, same as yours.

Oh re
...far more than previously...
I think you men 'less' rather than 'more'. (You can edit your own post to correct) 🙂 .

Corrected...thanks!

I have 3 APC Backup CS-650 in the house...two RN104...one connected to a single 650 and then the other RN104 using the same UPS via the connected 104 (the other two UPS are on other machines around the house).

This only ever started happening after the OS6 upgrade and it has persisted throughout the latest upgrades. I have also re-configured everything recently resulting in a swaparound of the UPS units so I can be confident in it not being faulty kit!

Its mostly media on this NAS (hence the 30 min spindown period so it does get spun up during the day but it also happens in the night presumably as the system causes a spinup. The fact that every instance I checked in the logs coincided with a spinup tells me its a software issue....Its still interesting that its only happened once since changing the spindown time from 30 to 25 mins......I shall change it back to 30 again and see.
Message 6 of 16
dishmagic66
Guide

I get the same errors on a RN104 with 6.2.4 with a APC CS650.
This behaviour started with one of the 6.xx releases
Message 7 of 16
martinhj
Apprentice

Yes....its a pain in the rear and makes the email alerts pretty useless when you get bombarded with them especially when you have multiple devices on one UPS!!!

Seems Netgear are avoiding replying to this thread though alas.....bizarrely having gone into the admin console and changed the settings from 30 to 25 mins and about a bit it seems to now through these erroneous errors a lot less often but maybe thats just luck and good timing atm

Martin
Message 8 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We do read lots of threads but don't reply to them all.

Your concerns have been noted and the engineering team has been notified of this problem.
Message 9 of 16
martinhj
Apprentice

Thanks mdgm!

Now I dont know why but its not appearing to do it during the daytime now but then if its a timing issue its going to be a bit luck of the draw...at the moment Im getting less UPS comms errors but they are happening at midnight and then at approx 4am...That said I do have other machines running 24/7 and have noticed that turning a windows laptop on is obviously doing some NAS access as it causes a spin-up so it could be an external event still that is doing it...

Martin
Message 10 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?
Message 11 of 16
martinhj
Apprentice

Sent...
Message 12 of 16
vandermerwe
Master

I have noticed that since changing UPS to a Smart ups with a proper usb socket, that the problem has disappeared. The Ups that was disconnecting had a usb to RJ50 cable. I gather these cables are more problematic, perhaps this is a factor?
Message 13 of 16
martinhj
Apprentice

I think switching UPS is a bit drastic...better to solve the problem at its root cause 🙂

However, having sent in the logs I was looking through the spindown log and bizarrely noticed quite a lot of spinup/down events through the night. Having had a brief play I think I was being a bit unfair on poor old Mr Gates as I think the cause of my spinups/downs is my Linux/Kodi mediaserver box. I have a media box running Linux which runs Kodi and Mythtv and I switch between Mythfrontend and Kodi as required. It would appear that if I leave it running Kodi then theres lots of (approx hourly) spinups whereas if I leave it running mythfrontend there arent (its not a very thorough subjective test as of yet over a long period of time).

So.....I still think its a spinup issue related to some timing within the RN104 but it just becomes more apparent if I have Kodi running but idle as the disks spin down and up more often with more chance of hitting the problem

Now to find out why it is making my disks repeatedly spinup! There's not much point spinning them down if they are going to go up and down like a yoyo

Martin
Message 14 of 16
BaJohn
Virtuoso

martinhj wrote:
There's not much point spinning them down if they are going to go up and down like a yoyo
I feel much the same.
See http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=81427 for some info on spindown which surprised me.
Message 15 of 16
vandermerwe
Master

Well, as I pointed out in an earlier post, I needed to upgrade my UPS anyway; in other words for other reasons.

Many of the lower capacity UPS from APC have these USB to RJ50 cables, it is possible that this is a factor.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements