× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RNDP600U ERR No Disks Detected

darebee
Aspirant

RNDP600U ERR No Disks Detected

I have an RNDU6000 that I upgraded from 4.2x to 6.1x back in August 2015. Everything has been working on the system great. Today the mapped drive in windows disappeared and I couldn't get to the admin page. I shut off the NAS and rebooted. Took forever to come back up and then said ERR No Disks Detected. I have 6 drives connected with close to 14 TB of data. I have turned off the NAS to give it a rest and so that I don't corrupt anything worse. 

What are my best steps to determine the problem? Can someone please help me? All of my family videos and images are on this NAS and I really need to get it back. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and Happy Holdiays and a prosperous New Year!

If this is not in the correct forum, I apologize.

Thanks,

-Darren

Message 1 of 24

Accepted Solutions
darebee
Aspirant

Re: RNDP600U ERR No Disks Detected

Okay, this problem seems solved. Ultimately it was the original fan was bad. With the new fan it would spin up until the NAS booted and then stop spinning. But either because it was too hot or I did the OS Reinstall, the fan started working again and I haven't gotten a fan alert since. I have a temporary fan until the Noctua arrives tomorrow. I had purchased the power supply on Newegg but cancelled the order because I used a multimeter and the voltages were coming out fine.

Thanks for all the help. I was ready to buy the 316 but am much happier keeping my 5 year old trusty NAS running OS 6.

Oh, and for all those interested my personal documents have all been backed up. I guess I'll have to buy another NAS soon to have "proper" backup of all my media.

-Darren

View solution in original post

Message 23 of 24

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RNDU6000 ERR No Disks Detected

So you have no backup?

Power down, remove your disks (label order), put a scratch disk (must not be from your array) in and see if you get the same error.

Message 2 of 24
darebee
Aspirant

I have a backup of the personal stuff but most of my other media I do not have backed up. 12 TB is difficult to backup without another NAS...

Anyway, I removed all disks. With scratch disk it still states ERR No disks detected...

Thanks again for the help.

Message 3 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

And you know that scratch disk is working from connecting it to another system?

It could be that there is a problem with e.g. the SATA backplane, or maybe the PSU is failing and not providing enough power or something else.

You may wish to consider getting a 316/516 and trying out your scratch disk with that.

1. Update the new NAS to at least as new OS6 firmware as you were running on the dead unit using the scratch disk

2. Verify the update was successful

3. Power down

4. Remove your scratch disk

5. Move your disks across (keep the order the same)

6. Power on

Message 4 of 24
darebee
Aspirant

What's the advantage of using a 516 over a 316? Just performance? Is the 316 at least as powerful as my RNDU6000?

Is it possible to replace the power supply or SATA?

Also, would I not be able to reach the admin page with no disks?

Thanks,

-Darren

Message 5 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your profile indicates you have an RNDP600U (Ultra 6 Plus), is this not the case?

The 516 is more powerful than the 316. The 516 has a much faster CPU, double the RAM in the 316, and the RAM in the 516 is ECC. The 516 can transcode 1080p video.

The 316 has a faster CPU and double the RAM compared with the Ultra 6. As for the Ultra 6 Plus, the 316 does have double the RAM but as for the CPU difference I'm not so sure. Furthermore some adventurous users have replaced their CPUs in their U6P units which much faster ones (you can't do this in the Ultra 6).

Users have replaced the PSU in their Pro Pioneer/Pro Business Edition/Ultra 6 Plus/Pro 6. There are some suggestions on PSUs and extender cables on the community.

The OS installed from the flash onto the disks. With no disks you would not be able to access the web admin page.

Message 6 of 24
darebee
Aspirant

Thanks for all the information. I do indeed have an Ultra 6 Plus. (I orginally bought the Utra 6 but returned as I found the Plus for the same price). I don't transcode videos on my NAS at all. About the only thing running on the NAS is MySQL for KODI\XBMC usage. 

Can you point me to anywhere I can test which hardware piece is failing? SATA or PSU? I don't mind getting a bit dirty as I've built all my computers.

Thanks,

-Darren

Message 7 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well those are two possibilities. There may be others.

If the PSU is failing there may be some obvious signs on it that you can see if you remove it.

You could also try changing the power cable that you connect from the NAS to the wall power outlet and maybe try a different wall outlet too, before you resort to pulling apart the hardware.

Message 8 of 24
darebee
Aspirant

Lo and Behold! 

Before you updated your last post I actually did connect the device to a different cable and got ERR Used Disk. Progress...

I reloaded all disks and plugged it into the original cable and still got ERR No Disks Detected. 

Swapped out the power cable with another (The original was plugged into a CyberPower Battery Backup) turned it on and everything is there. 

So, it is NOT the unit but the power cable or CyberPower. I will check out which in a bit.

Thank you for all your assistance! I had a 316 in my cart on Amazon which I no longer need.

Regards,

-Darren

Message 9 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Glad it was something so simple.

Now that you have access to your data again I would suggest you backup your data. At least your family photos and videos which are irreplaceable.

No important data should be stored on just the one device.

Message 10 of 24
darebee
Aspirant

Well, I guess the saga continues. Once I got the device booted up I noticed there were a lot of System: Fan System in enclosure Internal speed is below threshold. (0 rpm). Errors in the log. I guess my gmail emails are NOT going out. So, I replaced the fan and but something is still not right. The admin page says Status: System Dead. Of course it is actually still up and running.

The strange thing is the fan spins the entire time the NAS is booting however once it fully loads the fan stops spinning. Could this be a problem with the firmware? I am running 6.4.1.

Thanks again. And really Happy New Year this time!

-Darren

Message 11 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please send in your logs (see the Sending logs link in my sig)

Message 12 of 24
darebee
Aspirant

I have sent the log in as subject 'RNDU6000 ERR No Disks Detected ATTN: mdgm'

-Darren

Message 13 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried an OS Re-install?

Message 14 of 24
darebee
Aspirant

What does that entail? Would I lose all my data? Okay, I tried the steps and got to the boot menu. Selected OS Reinstall and hitting the reset button does NOTHING? Been sitting here for 5 minutes waiting. Is the reset button supposed to select the option I chose? Interesting thing is the system fan is on the entire time.

You couldn't find anything in the logs?

-Darren

Message 15 of 24
darebee
Aspirant

Okay, the OS Reinstall seemed to complete and now I am back to the ERR No disks detected. Gotta love this!

Message 16 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you backed up your data as I suggested?

Message 17 of 24
darebee
Aspirant

I have not. Another interesting fact. The fan stays on in DebugMode! 🙂

Message 18 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@darebee wrote:

I have not. 

You should.

Message 19 of 24
darebee
Aspirant

I haven't been able to access the drives yet again. It is in debug mode waiting for mdgm to see if he sees anything.

Message 20 of 24
Sandshark
Sensei

A failing power supply with insufficient 12V could be your problem.  If you have a spare ATX power supply around, or can "borrow" one from a working computer, it can be connected externally to see if that's the problem.  Then, if it is, look for messages in the forum on getting the proper power supply to replace it.  The supply will need to have 3 Molex (old style 4-pin hard drive power connectors) or adapters from SATA to Molex and the usual 24-pin and 4-pin connections for the motherboard..  It's fairly easy to get to the appropriate connectors.

Message 21 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Couldn't connect as the NAS didn't pickup an I.P. via DHCP.

It does sound like a failing PSU is the most likely guess as to what has happened.

Message 22 of 24
darebee
Aspirant

Okay, this problem seems solved. Ultimately it was the original fan was bad. With the new fan it would spin up until the NAS booted and then stop spinning. But either because it was too hot or I did the OS Reinstall, the fan started working again and I haven't gotten a fan alert since. I have a temporary fan until the Noctua arrives tomorrow. I had purchased the power supply on Newegg but cancelled the order because I used a multimeter and the voltages were coming out fine.

Thanks for all the help. I was ready to buy the 316 but am much happier keeping my 5 year old trusty NAS running OS 6.

Oh, and for all those interested my personal documents have all been backed up. I guess I'll have to buy another NAS soon to have "proper" backup of all my media.

-Darren

Message 23 of 24
Sandshark
Sensei

@darebee wrote:

I had purchased the power supply on Newegg but cancelled the order because I used a multimeter and the voltages were coming out fine.

Measured under load, I hope.  Unloaded measurements don't really tell the whole story.

I was not aware that the ReadyNAS will fail to boot with a bad fan, but there might be different BIOS settings on some systems.  I've not explored the BIOS settings to see if that's an option.  The Ultra 6 Plus is newer than my Pro's, so that could be the difference. 

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements