× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 6.6.0 Apps Status

MattNeimeyer
Guide

ReadyNAS 6.6.0 Apps Status

I notice that the release notes for the 6.6.0 beta say, in the Known Issues section, that "Several Apps in the list are currently incompatible with ReadNASOS 6.6.0"...

Is anyone maintaining a list of compatible (or known incompatible) apps?

If it matters, I'm specifically looking for PHP and MySQL (both by Poussin) and DropboxManager (by ReadyNAS Xtras).

If there is now a way to make the built in ReadyNAS's Cloud tab version of Dropbox sync to the root of my Dropbox account that would be fine as well. (Last I checked I think it did a subfolder only)

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Model: ReadyNASRNDU6320|ReadyNAS Ultra 6
Message 1 of 9
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS 6.6.0 Apps Status

Hi MattNeimeyer,

I am not aware if we have a list of apps that work and don't work in 6.6.0. There are posts or feedbacks from other members of the community about this issue. Let's wait for them to chime in and give us their take on which app is a go or no go on this Firmware.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 9
jhagg
Luminary

ReadyNAS is a great product.  Seems like the app component is sorely overlooked and mismanaged, however.  None of the developers even post app updates to the Netgear App Store (super_poussin for example) because of various reasons such as the approval process.  We often have to contact them directly or goto seperate web pages for updates. 

This isn't directed at anyone in particular but you should want a robust and vibrant app selection with current and up to date versions. If you know a new firmware version is going to break many apps, and I understand why, did you communicate with your developer base about the upcoming changes so they can roll out new updates? Have you considered making the app upload process for developers more attractive so we as end users actually see newer and more apps to choose from?  This is the one area that is really frustrating to me.  Why wait for people to chime in, someone at Netgear (maybe a moderator?) can poll the information and provide it for us, not everything needs to be user driven, take some pride in your product as I know many do like mdgm and Skywalker, helping us every day, you can tell those guys care. 

There are so many amazing things that can be done with these NAS boxes, assign someone the task of getting the app store back on track and you will see sales and upgrades in spades for it.  You have 2 new models announced that look incredible, RN526 and RN626, now is the time to get this right.

Just my .2

Message 3 of 9
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

Yes, we are aware of the incompatible apps and we have sent e-mails to the developers asking them to update the apps. Last I checked, there weren't many apps left to get updated. The app list is internal. Some apps work when you upgrade straight to 6.6.0 from a previous version and some apps keep their existing dependencies, but fresh installs may run into issues. I'll see if the team who handles the Apps will be willing to make a simple list of apps that aren't ready for 6.6.0 that we can post on the community,

Regarding Dropbox, there's a lot of fixes planned, like upgrading to Dropbox API v2 instead of API v1, which will address several complaints that we've received re: Dropbox. Only ACD Syncing will not require you to sync the Amazon Cloud Drive share that was originally created. 

Message 4 of 9
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

@jhagg wrote:

ReadyNAS is a great product.  Seems like the app component is sorely overlooked and mismanaged, however.  None of the developers even post app updates to the Netgear App Store (super_poussin for example) because of various reasons such as the approval process.  We often have to contact them directly or goto seperate web pages for updates. 

This isn't directed at anyone in particular but you should want a robust and vibrant app selection with current and up to date versions. If you know a new firmware version is going to break many apps, and I understand why, did you communicate with your developer base about the upcoming changes so they can roll out new updates? Have you considered making the app upload process for developers more attractive so we as end users actually see newer and more apps to choose from?  This is the one area that is really frustrating to me.  Why wait for people to chime in, someone at Netgear (maybe a moderator?) can poll the information and provide it for us, not everything needs to be user driven, take some pride in your product as I know many do like mdgm and Skywalker, helping us every day, you can tell those guys care. 

There are so many amazing things that can be done with these NAS boxes, assign someone the task of getting the app store back on track and you will see sales and upgrades in spades for it.  You have 2 new models announced that look incredible, RN526 and RN626, now is the time to get this right.

Just my .2

This has all been considered. The group whom historically has been approving apps also accumulated many additional tasks to handle and so the turn-around time was taking considerable time. Recently, this has been improved but is still not perfect. There's many efforts we're working on to try and do enhancements for Apps. 
Also, a lot of the apps in the store don't follow typical or proper expectations of app-building. Users like @NAStools and @Mhynlo have been redoing apps that already existed that follow the app standards we're trying to accomplish (not using init.d, using systemd, not putting ANY files in the operating system, etc...)

Message 5 of 9
NASguru
Apprentice

@kohdee wrote:

@jhagg wrote:

Just my .2

This has all been considered. The group whom historically has been approving apps also accumulated many additional tasks to handle and so the turn-around time was taking considerable time. Recently, this has been improved but is still not perfect. There's many efforts we're working on to try and do enhancements for Apps. 
Also, a lot of the apps in the store don't follow typical or proper expectations of app-building. Users like @NAStools and @Mhynlo have been redoing apps that already existed that follow the app standards we're trying to accomplish (not using init.d, using systemd, not putting ANY files in the operating system, etc...)

I agree on many of the points @jhagg wrote as I'm sure others do.  That said, you wouldn't happen to know if install MySQL directly using their APT Repository would violate any of the issues mentioned above?  Namely: not using init.d, using systemd, not putting ANY files in the operating system, etc..  I'm referring to this process if that helps:  http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/repo/apt/

In short, I would install/run that package from under the app directory with the hopes it would download and create all needed directories/files inside the app folder.  However, I'm not sure that's the case unless someone has actually run/installed the package previously.  

FWIW, the release notes for OS 6.6 now have two links at the bottom of apps that are no longer compatible.  http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31221/~/readynas-os-6-software-version-6.6.0?cid=wmt_n...

Message 6 of 9
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi NASguru,

Based on the description of the issue that you have provided about the MySQL installation; I may need to check this with others who can probably assist you and get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Regards,

Message 7 of 9
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi NASguru,

As per inquiry, you can install the MySQL using the APT repository. Just be sure to store the MySQL databases on the data volume.

Regards,

Message 8 of 9
TeknoJnky
Hero

it would be a great innovation to move the readynas app system to be virtualized and off the core system partition.

like docker containers. https://www.docker.com/what-docker

or by building in and supporting virtual box or KVM virtualization directly into the readynas OS.

this would help eliminate introducing compability nightmares among the system partition and reduce the need for user SSH access to install/debug/fix broken apps/packages.

while simultaniously opening up endless application possiblities

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements