× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 6.6.0 update of manual?

janpeter1
Luminary

ReadyNAS 6.6.0 update of manual?

Hi

I understand there some important new functionaly it OS 6.6 and I can see on my NAS that we are now all encourged to update, and I want to know if there is an updated manual under way too?

Best regards

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS 6.6.0 update of manual?

Hi janpeter1,

As a follow-up to mdgm's response, here is the link to the ReadyNAS OS 6.6 Software Manual below:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/READYNAS_OS_6_SM_EN.pdf

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes there is one under way. We already have some KB articles available e.g. on ReadyDR.

Message 2 of 12
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello janpeter1,

Please see this article: Creating a ReadyDR job

Regards,

Message 3 of 12
janpeter1
Luminary

Thank for the link. However it is very brief and I really wait for the updated manual. 

Message 4 of 12
janpeter1
Luminary

Thank for the link. However it is very brief and I really wait for the updated manual. 

Message 5 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We have the ReadyNAS Backup FAQ with several articles on ReadyDR.

We are following up with the relevant teams on what's holding up the release of the ReadyNAS OS 6.6.0 Software Manual.

Is there anything else that's new in 6.6.0 that you'd like more information on. Perhaps we can help here.

Thanks for your patience.

Message 6 of 12
janpeter1
Luminary

Hi,

There are two somewhat pedestrian things I think should be more descibed in the manual.

1) Backup of the NAS everybode should do external HD (or NAS or similar) and now what

I understand that external HD can be also formatted to BTRFS. Does this mean that we can

ensure that the total system NAS and its backup on external HD are secured from bit-rot if the

backup medium is on BTRFS? Or do I simplify too much?

2) I have recently investigated the copying of files from media device described in the current manual fro OS 6.5

on page 232-233. It works with my Nikon camera. Problem is that naming (dating) of sub-folders seems

not related to the photos nor to the time of copying. Is this a responsibiliyt of Netgear software or of Nikon?

I have just written a post on this at the forum.

Could be good with a few lines of motivation (and ref to some source) of using MTP or PTP protocols

and if these protocols have some check of that photos etc are correctly transfeered, i.e. some checksum check

or similar. 

Otherwise I personally like your clear and brief style of the manuals. 

Some years ago I paved the way for a client of mine to invest in a couple of ReadyNAS4200

and I dealt with professional IT people. We found the Netgear tender price-worthy and good enough,

however my professional IT-colleagues complained that the manual was not exact enough 

for their taste. Still they have lived on with these Netgear NASes and I think reasonably satisfied.

There had been problems with "long file names (or rather paths)" and behaviour when the NAS start

to get full, but I have not followed the details here. I am not sure that they have invested more in Netgear since then.

Best regards

Message 7 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We do have the ReadyNAS Backup FAQ already covering several different backup scenarios.

1. Bit-rot protection inherently requires using a redundant RAID level and using a good copy of data on one disk to repair the problem on another. So the USB disk isn't protected against bit-rot on the USB disk itself even if using BTRFS.
  2. I'm not sure on that one. Best to have that one followed up on your new thread.

We do have the Ideas Exchange for ReadyNAS for feature suggestions.

Issues with long file paths sounds like more of an issue with e.g. a Windows client

As for filling volumes no volume should be filled completely full. You should always keep a decent level of free space.

Message 8 of 12
janpeter1
Luminary

Bit-rot protection for USB-disk. I just thought that the transfer from the NAS to the USB was more secured when USB is BTRFS since  then checksums with the NAS (in RAID) would help. But I understand that when teh USB is disconnected then nothing protect it. But next time you mount it and make an incremental backup, could it then not also do a check (perhaps on request by the user) that what you on the backup is correct and then do the incremental backup. Or is such added functionality not that dependent on BTRFS on the backup? After all for us Mac users with Time Machine backup I can easily order a check that the current Time Machine backup is correct, but I do not know how thourough that check is and may not detect bit-rot.

Concerning my example from professional world with issues with long names of file paths it is true  it was a Windows environment there. If this limiations are still there for OS 6 it might be good to state such limitations in the manual?

Yes I think we all know, and especially my professional customer mentioned, that you should never go very close to the limit of the NAS capacity, but here is a grey zone and could perhaps also be more clearer pointed out in the manual or complemented with automatic protection in the software and create a hard user limit that still give some space for the NAS internally.

Some of these thoughts perhaps are better to discuss in Ideas Exchange but I thought they at least partly relate to the update of the manual.

Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@janpeter1 wrote:

But next time you mount it and make an incremental backup, could it then not also do a check (perhaps on request by the user) that what you on the backup is correct and then do the incremental backup.  

Independent of BTRFS, I think the ability to verify a backup is a good feature.  I suggest posting it on the idea exchange (maybe also post a link to the idea on this thread).

BTRFS checksums would be one approach (the algorithm could be applied to any file system), or it could be a full verification (reading/comparing the files on the drive with the NAS).  However its done, I think the files on the USB drive need to be read (to make sure they can be).

Message 10 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The ReadyNAS OS 6.6.0 Software Manual has been posted.

Message 11 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi janpeter1,

As a follow-up to mdgm's response, here is the link to the ReadyNAS OS 6.6 Software Manual below:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/READYNAS_OS_6_SM_EN.pdf

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements