× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNASOS 6.2.0-T1286 [Beta 1].. a couple FV comments

garyd9
Virtuoso

ReadyNASOS 6.2.0-T1286 [Beta 1].. a couple FV comments

10 minutes after installing the beta and playing with frontview, here are some first thoughts/comments (and a question):

* How does accounts->"default user"->"group membership" interact with a NAS configured for active directory?

It seems, for this case, the "group membership" selection should be disabled. (Right now, the droplist doesn't work, but there doesn't seem to be any visual indication that it's a disabled control. Perhaps hide it completely for ADS linked units?)

* There might be some confusion about the interaction between the accounts->"default user"->"home folder"->"snapshot protection" toggle and a similar setting on shares->"home folders"->settings->snapshots.

After playing with this, I _think_ that the schedule must be set from shares->home folders->settings->snapshots, and that the schedule is global to ALL home shares? A small amount of text on the "default user" page stating that the durations are configured from the "shares" page might be helpful to prevent confusion.

* With ADS, users disappear from shares->"home folders"->settings->snapshot.

I go to the above page, select "daily", search for a user in the domain, and turn on protection for that user. I click "ok". I then go back to that same page, and the user no longer appears in the list. If I search for that user again, I see protection turned on (so it's preserved.) I search for other users, and protection is turned off (as expected.) I more expected this to work like the "private time machine" list does: that all users with configured settings appear in the list without having to search.

* Backup->"time machine"->"private time machine" and ADS interaction?

More of a question than a comment: If this is configured for an ADS user, how would that user configure the time machine client on the Mac? Assuming a domain name of "mydomain" and a username of "myuser", would they specify a username of "mydomain\myuser", "myuser@mydomain", or just "myuser" and the NAS would take care of it? (I won't be able to try this out until I get home tonight...)

Take care
Gary
Message 1 of 19
Grievous
Aspirant

garyd9 wrote:
10 minutes after installing the beta and playing with frontview, here are some first thoughts/comments (and a question):

* How does accounts->"default user"->"group membership" interact with a NAS configured for active directory?

It seems, for this case, the "group membership" selection should be disabled. (Right now, the droplist doesn't work, but there doesn't seem to be any visual indication that it's a disabled control. Perhaps hide it completely for ADS linked units?)

It doesn't. Hiding it is something we can look at, but you need to consider that we don't handle account management on the NAS side of things in ADS mode(since the AD server is doing that).

* There might be some confusion about the interaction between the accounts->"default user"->"home folder"->"snapshot protection" toggle and a similar setting on shares->"home folders"->settings->snapshots.

After playing with this, I _think_ that the schedule must be set from shares->home folders->settings->snapshots, and that the schedule is global to ALL home shares? A small amount of text on the "default user" page stating that the durations are configured from the "shares" page might be helpful to prevent confusion.

Again, default user does nothing in ADS mode. The intent of the default user settings, is for creating users on the ReadyNAS itself(ie, local mode) and having some settings pre-configured for those users. In a scenario where the default user settings might come into play, lets say you have a user named Bob who already had an account prior to 6.2.x. You would have manually configured his account before. Now let's say you need to add, Bill, Steve, Dave, Cindy, etc. You can pre-configure some settings for those new user accounts before creating them, avoiding having to do it individually. However, if you change the default user settings and then add the accounts for Bill, Steve, Dave, Cindy, and the rest, Bob's account will not be changed since it already existed.

* With ADS, users disappear from shares->"home folders"->settings->snapshot.

I go to the above page, select "daily", search for a user in the domain, and turn on protection for that user. I click "ok". I then go back to that same page, and the user no longer appears in the list. If I search for that user again, I see protection turned on (so it's preserved.) I search for other users, and protection is turned off (as expected.) I more expected this to work like the "private time machine" list does: that all users with configured settings appear in the list without having to search.

Typical to ADS mode support on the ReadyNAS, we try not to display user or group listings unless we specifically have to. The reason being is that if you connect the system to a domain with 80,000 users(and we do have some customers that do this), having to display the entire user list every time certain pages are refreshed isn't necessary and can become a resource issue.

More of a question than a comment: If this is configured for an ADS user, how would that user configure the time machine client on the Mac? Assuming a domain name of "mydomain" and a username of "myuser", would they specify a username of "mydomain\myuser", "myuser@mydomain", or just "myuser" and the NAS would take care of it? (I won't be able to try this out until I get home tonight...)

Take care
Gary

That last portion I'm going to have to defer to someone else who is a bit more familiar with the features of OSX than I am.
Message 2 of 19
garyd9
Virtuoso

Grievous wrote:
(referring to default user page) It doesn't. Hiding it is something we can look at, but you need to consider that we don't handle account management on the NAS side of things in ADS mode(since the AD server is doing that).
Playing with this some while actually on the same LAN, it appears that the entire "default user" page is useless for a NAS on active directory (as you suggested.) Based on that, I'd suggest hiding the entire page if ADS is set up on the NAS. No sense confusing some poor IT guy. 😉

More of a question than a comment: If this is configured for an ADS user, how would that user configure the time machine client on the Mac? Assuming a domain name of "mydomain" and a username of "myuser", would they specify a username of "mydomain\myuser", "myuser@mydomain", or just "myuser" and the NAS would take care of it?

That last portion I'm going to have to defer to someone else who is a bit more familiar with the features of OSX than I am.

Okay, I had a chance to mess with AFP shares on an ADS configured NAS. Given the above examples, an AFP (mac) user could log in with "myuser" or "mydomain\myuser". Both work. HOWEVER, if you log in with the domain name (mydomain\myuser) it makes a mess of the home user share name... (it shows as "mydomain\myusers's home" or something long like that...) So it's probably best to just use the plain username (unless there's a need to specify the domain.)

Take care
Gary
Message 3 of 19
Grievous
Aspirant

It's funny, I was just about to post that it supports username, or domain\username.

Anyway, I'm not sure what you mean by making a mess of the home user share name? Can you post a screenshot or something?
Message 4 of 19
Chewbacca
Aspirant

You can use Domain\User and Username for TimeMachine Backup.
Message 5 of 19
garyd9
Virtuoso

Grievous wrote:
I... what you mean by making a mess of the home user share name? Can you post a screenshot or something?
Just that it's messy (cosmetically, not functionally) to see:

"this_is_my_company_name\garyd9's home"

..as the name of the share in Mac's finder. (Which is what you see if you log on the AFP server with "domainname\username" instead of just "username")
Message 6 of 19
Grievous
Aspirant

garyd9 wrote:
Grievous wrote:
I... what you mean by making a mess of the home user share name? Can you post a screenshot or something?
Just that it's messy (cosmetically, not functionally) to see:

"this_is_my_company_name\garyd9's home"

..as the name of the share in Mac's finder. (Which is what you see if you log on the AFP server with "domainname\username" instead of just "username")

Ahh ok. Well if that's how OSX is displaying it, we probably can't do much about that.
Message 7 of 19
cpu8088
Virtuoso

i have looked at the Performance page

to me the network and temperature are more important than the volume or utilization info. can the network and temperature be shown up top instead of having me to scroll down all the time to view the info?

also why temp shown as % not degree c?

would be nice to have cpu utilization and memory used. these can be found using linux-dash though,
Message 8 of 19
Grievous
Aspirant

cpu8088 wrote:
i have looked at the Performance page

to me the network and temperature are more important than the volume or utilization info. can the network and temperature be shown up top instead of having me to scroll down all the time to view the info?

also why temp shown as % not degree c?

would be nice to have cpu utilization and memory used. these can be found using linux-dash though,

The current system temperature is at the top of the page, along with the disk and fan information. The historical system temperature for the chart is displayed in degrees celsius as listed on the left side column. The percentage thing at the bottom of the chart is something we'll look into.
Message 9 of 19
Leia
NETGEAR Employee Retired

garyd9 wrote:

Please just enter the domain user's name for "Name"(no need domain name) and password.
Message 10 of 19
cpu8088
Virtuoso

there must be something wrong regarding the network historic graph and the tx rx min max last under the performance tab

i just cannot figure out there is no indication of activity while i was transferring big files using windows explorer from the nas to a pc hard disk.
Message 11 of 19
Grievous
Aspirant

cpu8088 wrote:
there must be something wrong regarding the network historic graph and the tx rx min max last under the performance tab

i just cannot figure out there is no indication of activity while i was transferring big files using windows explorer from the nas to a pc hard disk.

What system are you using?
Message 12 of 19
ljung
Tutor

Is 6.2 beta patched against the bash bug (Shellshock) already?
Message 13 of 19
Grievous
Aspirant

ljung wrote:
Is 6.2 beta patched against the bash bug (Shellshock) already?

ReadyNAS OS6 is not vulnerable to shellshock via CGI, as we don't use bash as a command interpreter for it. If you're using bash, then it could be a problem, however at that point the attacker would have already had access to your system anyway, making it pointless. It will be patched in the near future as there is no point in leaving it unpatched, but it's not a security issue at this time.
Message 14 of 19
cpu8088
Virtuoso

Grievous wrote:

using 312 and pc with win 7 32bit, view graphs via firefox 32.01
Message 15 of 19
Grievous
Aspirant

cpu8088 wrote:
Grievous wrote:

using 312 and pc with win 7 32bit, view graphs via firefox 32.01

Can you post a screenshot so we can see exactly what it is you're seeing?
Message 16 of 19
cpu8088
Virtuoso

it is just that using windows copy some dvd files from the nas and paste to another pc it was showing 54MB/s

and the network graph does not show such speed but 2.5 k bytes/s with tx rx last min max readings incorrect
Message 17 of 19
Grievous
Aspirant

cpu8088 wrote:
it is just that using windows copy some dvd files from the nas and paste to another pc it was showing 54MB/s

and the network graph does not show such speed but 2.5 k bytes/s with tx rx last min max readings incorrect

So you see the activity on the network chart and it's just the min/max readings that are off, or is it that the activity is never displayed at all?

Is the network graph set for the defaults(network: all, protocol: all, period: 1 hour, update: 1 min)? While this transfer is in progress, does the volume chart display any activity(since you're doing reads, there should be something visible)?
Message 18 of 19
cpu8088
Virtuoso

Grievous wrote:

So you see the activity on the network chart and it's just the min/max readings that are off, or is it that the activity is never displayed at all?

the last min max are wrong amounts

Grievous wrote:
Is the network graph set for the defaults(network: all, protocol: all, period: 1 hour, update: 1 min)? While this transfer is in progress, does the volume chart display any activity(since you're doing reads, there should be something visible)?

yes network all, protocol all, period 1 hr, update 1 min
volume chat had activity
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements