× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Strange message

matmar
Guide

Re: Strange message

Why not raid 0 ? Is that the reason of the strange messages ? Rnnas516 is designed to manage raid 0 is not it ?
Message 26 of 36
StephenB
Guru

@matmar wrote:
Why not raid 0 ? 

The NAS supports it, but it is inherently extremely fragile.  If any drive fails, the full volume is lost.  If you have backups for it, and are willing to accept the downtime to rebuild it when the volume fails, then it is fine.

Message 27 of 36
matmar
Guide

That's the point, I save 3To and accept the risk as I have back up on external HDD. 

Message 28 of 36
StephenB
Guru

@matmar wrote:

That's the point, I save 3To and accept the risk as I have back up on external HDD. 

I use xraid on my main NAS, but not on the newer backup NAS.  I prefer jbod myself - which also gives you full space and is much less fragile.  The downside of jbod is that you have to balance the free space yourself (keeping track of fullness on each volume).  But as disk sizes have become bigger, that is easier to do.

Message 29 of 36
AlexPe
NETGEAR Expert

Stephen,

Giving up striping is going to impact performance when comparing JBOD to RAID0. 

Depending on how JBOD is implemented.

Alex

Message 30 of 36
StephenB
Guru

@AlexPe wrote:

Giving up striping is going to impact performance when comparing JBOD to RAID0. 

I understand that. But I think for most users the performance gains are marginal.  WiFi access for instance is network bound even with 802.11ac.  My  RN202 running jbod delivers ~95 MB/s, which is close enough to network bound on gigabit ethernet. 

Another factor for me is that data recovery (if ever needed) is a whole lot easier for jbod than RAID0.

In most home use cases the fragility of RAID0 outweighs any performance gain. If users fully understand the consequences of using it (and the implications for backup) then that's fine.  But based on posts here, I think many users don't understand the impact of a single disk failure on a RAID0 array.  

Matmar is making a considered choice, and does maintain backups- so on this thread I simply pointed out my preference and the main reason for it.  I don't see any immediate need for him to switch modes, but if he does do a reset for other reasons it might be worth revisiting.

Message 31 of 36
matmar
Guide

Just to clarify, my main volume rnnas 516 is raid 6
My second volume eda500 is raid 0
I prefer raid 0 for eda because the volume is managed by the readynas 516 so that i can use maintenance tools (defrag, scrub...) and because before eda 500 with external hdd i get plenty of errors of mounting leading to read only. It was a pity to reconnect to PC to solve these errors...
And of course raid 0 is more that 2 To saved.
Message 32 of 36
StephenB
Guru

@matmar wrote:

I prefer raid 0 for eda because the volume is managed by the readynas 516 so that i can use maintenance tools (defrag, scrub...)

Just wanted to point out that the same maitenance tools are available for jbod volumes.

The main drawback is the need to balance storage.  If you have any shares that are too large to comfortably fit on a single disk, then you'd need to break them up, and you do sometimes need to move shares around.  As AlexPE points out, there can be some performance loss over RAID0 also. 

Message 33 of 36
matmar
Guide

Is jbod available for eda 500 with 5 disks?
Message 34 of 36
StephenB
Guru

@matmar wrote:
Is jbod available for eda 500 with 5 disks?

It should be, but it would be good for Netgear to confirm (I don't own one, so I have no way to directly check).

Message 35 of 36
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Yes, you can do JBOD on anything.  To be clear, JBOD in this case means creating a separate volume per disk (the term JBOD tends to be used to describe a variety of different volume configurations).

Message 36 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements