× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

[T42] Only medium write speed?

APcMini
Aspirant

[T42] Only medium write speed?

Hi,

I'm testing T42 quite successfully, but however I don't get over 25MB/s average for a single data transfer. If I start another one on another client, the speed stays, but also on the other client doesn't get over 25MB/s average. There are two smbd-processes with 20% CPU-usage and only 0.4% MEM-usage. But my overall Mem-usage is over 90%. Which process takes so much memory and doesn't show up at all in the top command?

Any suggestions on the speed problem? Because I don't understand, why there are multiple transfers with the same speed possible but one single transfer is not getting faster.

Sry for my english, I'm not that used to it.
Message 1 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: [T42] Only medium write speed?

Using SSH type "free". Most likely most of the memory is used for caching. This is normal and is designed to improve performance. The memory used by the cache will be freed up when needed.

Which protocol are you using (e.g. CIFS)? Do you still get this issue if you try another protocol? If you reboot the NAS do you still get the problem after the reboot?

Any add-ons installed?
Message 2 of 3
APcMini
Aspirant

Re: [T42] Only medium write speed?

Hi,
according to "free", about 35% are used for buffers/cache, and the rest is stated as free. OK. So that seems to be normal.

Yes, I was using CIFS only, but with 5 different machines without any virus scan tool and the firewall was even disabled, also tested through direct connection.
Yes, the problem is still there after reboot. Jumbo Frames are not in use, because they cause lagging from time to time (switches are GS108v2 and v3)

Maybe it's important that my files are 20-80GB each?

I now used http-Protocol and got much better speed: about 108MB/s damn. thats a difference!
EDIT: The file was uploaded, but didn't appear yet. Did I skip an essential step?
EDIT2: Tried with ftp: 61MB/s average, file appears on ReadyNAS-Share.

Addons: Only SSH-acces, the readyNAS has a clean factory default with T42.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements