× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

T48 - can't enable Rsync (or FTP) for a share

steve_i
Aspirant

T48 - can't enable Rsync (or FTP) for a share

I only bought my NV+ recently, so don't know if it's something I'm doing wrong, or if this has been broken in this version, as I've never used an earlier firmware.

The problem is simple - I have a share, just one, that I created myself, having deleted both the default shares. It has no password or quota set. Only CIFS is enabled. I click on the RSync icon, and on the next page it says Default Access Disabled. I change it to Read-only, click Apply, and it just changes back to Disabled. Same for FTP. All 3 protocols have ticks next to them in the Services section.

My array is X-RAID, 3 x 2TB drives.

Am I going about it the wrong way, or is this a bug?

OTOH I have an external USB drive connected, and the share that was created for that has all the protocols enabled.
Message 1 of 17
smartwombat
Aspirant

Re: T48 - can't enable Rsync (or FTP) for a share

Have you had the messages saying the NAS has started the services ?
If not, I'd try disabling them, then re-ticking and applying.
Message 2 of 17
steve_i
Aspirant

Thanks, just tried your suggestion - got the message saying Rsync successfully stopped, then successfully started, but still the same behaviour when I try to enable the share for Rsync.
Message 3 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Could you try clearing your web browser cache? Perhaps the old setting was cached and you haven't been shown the change.
Message 4 of 17
Jedi_Knight
Tutor

I try reproducing here and I wasn't able to reproduce the issue with IE8 and FireFox. Do you wait until progress circle completed?
Message 5 of 17
steve_i
Aspirant

Jedi Knight wrote:
I try reproducing here and I wasn't able to reproduce the issue with IE8 and FireFox. Do you wait until progress circle completed?

Yes, it's when the progress circle completes that it changes back to disabled.

I just tried it in both IE8 and Firefox. I had never used IE8 before, so it couldn't have the page cached, but it still showed it as disabled after trying to make the change in firefox, even though it was the first time I had ever viewed that page in IE. I then tried again in IE, cleared the cache, looked at the page again, but still disabled.

However... I have just created a new share called test, and I can enable Rsync for that share no problem. Could it be because I have >2TB of data on the share that it doesn't work for?

Is there any way to shift all the data from one share to another without it having to go over the network and back?
Message 6 of 17
steve_i
Aspirant

steve_i wrote:
Is there any way to shift all the data from one share to another without it having to go over the network and back?

Okay, realised I can just do this with a backup job. Seems to copy at around 2 mins per GB, so reasonably feasible to shuffle my data across to a new share.
Message 7 of 17
Jedi_Knight
Tutor

Steve, I really dont think it has to do with size of data reside in each share. could you post the "share name" that wasn't able to enable both ftp/rsync service?

I am glad you figure out the moving data between shares. So it must be something else casuing the protocal to go back disable.
Message 8 of 17
steve_i
Aspirant

Jedi Knight wrote:
Steve, I really dont think it has to do with size of data reside in each share. could you post the "share name" that wasn't able to enable both ftp/rsync service?

I am glad you figure out the moving data between shares. So it must be something else casuing the protocal to go back disable.

The share where it doesn't work is called "share".

I just tried renaming it to "xyz", but no change in the behaviour.
Message 9 of 17
Jedi_Knight
Tutor

OK. So it' not naming issue. Not sure why you weren't able to enable the ftp/rsync services on that particular shares. Could you move your data first and try recreate the same name share later?
Message 10 of 17
steve_i
Aspirant

Jedi Knight wrote:
Could you move your data first and try recreate the same name share later?

Took quite a while to move all the data to new shares, but finally got there. Deleted the original share and created a new one with the same name, and the new one worked fine, could enable Rsync no problem.

The only aspect I haven't really covered is whether >2TB of data on a share is an issue, because when I moved the data to new shares I decided to split it into two, with each one <2TB to make backup simpler.
Message 11 of 17
c2c2c2
Aspirant

I have the exact same problem. Trying to enable rsync on existing share I get the same behavior. I'm running current FW on NV+
Message 12 of 17
phil2415
Aspirant

I too have exactly this problem. I had two shares which had RSync enabled and working just fine. They backed up every five minutes to a second ReadyNAS and there were no errors in the log.

After setting up another new share I noticed that the RSync icon next to the two existing shares in the Share Listing was greyed-out so I clicked on it and for each share RSync was disabled. When I change it to 'Read-only' and hit Apply it processes and then changes back to Disabled.

This is really poor, Netgear. It's vital that this data is backed up and that I can have confidence in the backup process.
Message 13 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What firmware are you running?
Message 14 of 17
phil2415
Aspirant

Assuming I'm looking at the right thing it's 4.2.15.
Message 15 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That is an x86 ReadyNAS you've got. Different platform. Please start a new thread.
Message 16 of 17
Rabbie
Aspirant

Please Disable the option in CIFS "Hide this share when a user browses the ReadyNAS for available shares. "
Then it will work fine.
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements