× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XRAID2 / Flexraid: Open questions

ix400
Aspirant

XRAID2 / Flexraid: Open questions

Hi there,

After reading the ReadyNAS OS manual, I still have questions about XRAID2: I bought a ReadyNAS 516 and I would like to use it with 6 x 4TB drives. This will give me an one disc failure tolerance and 20TB of empty space in one Volume. My questions are:

1. When I purchase an EDA expansion unit later on, I only can expand the 20TB volume? I can not start a second Volume when I stick to XRAID?

2. When I expand the 20tB Volume in the main unit by using an EDA, I can extend the volume to 40TB with a one disc redundancy. Can I also have XRAID with dual redundancy? Would be safer for a single volume comprising of 11 discs (6 main, 5 EDA).

Cheers Chris
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: XRAID2 / Flexraid: Open questions

1. No, the EDA500 will have a separate volume.

2. Disable X-RAID, delete the volume created by default, create a new RAID 6 volume then re-enable X-RAID.
Message 2 of 5
ix400
Aspirant

1. This means I can have two XRAID2 volumes (with a one disc failure tolerance each), one 20TB volume on the main unit and a 16TB volume on the EDA?

2. When I disable XRAID and create a RAID6 volume, I loose all data, right?
Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

1. Yes

2. When you delete the volume all data is wiped. So yes, you need to backup your data before doing this.
Message 4 of 5
ix400
Aspirant

Thanks for your answers. I think option 1. is okay for me, two volumes with a one disc failure tolerance each.

My confusion was caused by the manual, because I got the impression that you can only have ONE XRAID2 volume.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements