× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973
Reply

Re: b7 and SSH/Putty Disconnects After Login

CarlEdman
Luminary

b7 and SSH/Putty Disconnects After Login

I recently installed b7 and, shortly thereafter, ToggleSSH-1.0.bin, on my brand-new Infrant ReadyNAS NV+. I have not installed or tried to install the Root SSH addon.

My problem is as follows: I can connect to the ssh service from my Vista box using the latest PuTTY (0.60), and get the username and password prompt. However, if I enter a valid username and password (either the admin account or any user account I created), PuTTY just closes.

I do not believe that this is a problem with the addon. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing it. When the addon is uninstalled, I get a connection refused, rather than the login/password prompt. When the addon is installed and I enter an invalid username/password combination, I get reprompted. Only when I enter a valid username/password do I get disconnected immediately.

On the basis of this it appears, that there is some part of the login process , after password validation, which disconnects me.

Any advice?
Message 1 of 24
XLION
Aspirant

Re: b7 and SSH/Putty Disconnects After Login

CarlEdman wrote:
I recently installed b7 and, shortly thereafter, ToggleSSH-1.0.bin, on my brand-new Infrant ReadyNAS NV+. I have not installed or tried to install the Root SSH addon.

My problem is as follows: I can connect to the ssh service from my Vista box using the latest PuTTY (0.60), and get the username and password prompt. However, if I enter a valid username and password (either the admin account or any user account I created), PuTTY just closes.

I do not believe that this is a problem with the addon. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing it. When the addon is uninstalled, I get a connection refused, rather than the login/password prompt. When the addon is installed and I enter an invalid username/password combination, I get reprompted. Only when I enter a valid username/password do I get disconnected immediately.

On the basis of this it appears, that there is some part of the login process , after password validation, which disconnects me.

Any advice?
You simply installed the wrong Addon. What you obviously wanted to install is the EnableRootSSH Addon. 🙂
Message 2 of 24
MacManiak
Aspirant

Re: b7 and SSH/Putty Disconnects After Login

Hello.

Don't forget that each add-on install requires a restart.
  1. ToggleSSH

  2. Restart

  3. EnableRootSSH

  4. Restart

  5. Julien.
Message 3 of 24
CarlEdman
Luminary

Re: b7 and SSH/Putty Disconnects After Login

Thanks for the advice.

I did do a restart every time and the log (and e-mail) said that the ToggleSSH addon was successfully installed.

As for EnableRootSSH, I didn't realize I needed it even if I want to log on using a regular user, non-root account. Do I?
Message 4 of 24
bhoar
Aspirant

Re: b7 and SSH/Putty Disconnects After Login

The only way to log onto the unit is as root. At least, until you manually modify the accounts via a ssh session using tools on the command lin e.

EnableRootSSH basically just sets the root password to the admin password.

-brendan
Message 5 of 24
CarlEdman
Luminary

Re: b7 and SSH/Putty Disconnects After Login

Thanks, I'll temporarily enable root! I hadn't realized that it was necessary to go through this step.
Message 6 of 24
XLION
Aspirant

Re: b7 and SSH/Putty Disconnects After Login

CarlEdman wrote:
Thanks, I'll temporarily enable root! I hadn't realized that it was necessary to go through this step.
Hmmh ... not sure whether you've understood what the EnableRootSSH actually does (see brendan's post).
You might like to read the following thread...
http://www.infrant.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13588
Message 7 of 24
Jedi_Knight
Tutor

Re: b7 and SSH/Putty Disconnects After Login

CarlEdman wrote:
I recently installed b7 and, shortly thereafter, ToggleSSH-1.0.bin, on my brand-new Infrant ReadyNAS NV+. I have not installed or tried to install the Root SSH addon.

My problem is as follows: I can connect to the ssh service from my Vista box using the latest PuTTY (0.60), and get the username and password prompt. However, if I enter a valid username and password (either the admin account or any user account I created), PuTTY just closes.

I do not believe that this is a problem with the addon. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing it. When the addon is uninstalled, I get a connection refused, rather than the login/password prompt. When the addon is installed and I enter an invalid username/password combination, I get reprompted. Only when I enter a valid username/password do I get disconnected immediately.

On the basis of this it appears, that there is some part of the login process , after password validation, which disconnects me.

Any advice?


I have a same issue with a few of my units. it appears that "ssh" file under /etc/pam.d is missing. so that ssh will not work. it's fixed in next release.

Also If you perform the OS reinstall, it will reset your root password to "netgear1".
Message 8 of 24
TheBrainiac
Aspirant

Re: b7 and SSH/Putty Disconnects After Login

I have take all the steps outline above (toggledSSH, rebooted, EnabledSSH, Rebooted) and have the same problem with Putty closing immediately after I am successfully logged in. Any advice?
Message 9 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: b7 and SSH/Putty Disconnects After Login

TheBrainiac wrote:
I have take all the steps outline above (toggledSSH, rebooted, EnabledSSH, Rebooted) and have the same problem with Putty closing immediately after I am successfully logged in. Any advice?

Welcome to the forum and way to revive an old thread!

You need to login as username root. Try your admin password or 'netgear1' or 'infrant1'. One of those passwords should work.

If that doesn't work, then note that you should not have installed ToggleSSH at all. How many times did you install it? If you installed ToggleSSH an even number of times e.g. 2 or 4, you'll need to install it once more.
Message 10 of 24
TheBrainiac
Aspirant

Re: b7 and SSH/Putty Disconnects After Login

Thanks for the quick response! You're right about togglessh, but that's not the problem. I can get to the ssh login screen and it will even deny access if I don't enter the right password, so I know that I am connecting. The problem is that once I am successfully logged in, Putty just closes and goes away, so I have no way to enter any commands. Please understand that this the first time I've ever tried to SSH into anything so there may be something obvious I'm missing.

All I wanted to do was move my wordpress blog from GoDaddy to my NAS! ReadyNAS website makes it sound so easy 🙂
Message 11 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: b7 and SSH/Putty Disconnects After Login

Did you use the username 'root' when logging in using SSH? Also the Duo uses a low-performance CPU. You'd be better to try to run a wordpress blog on a NVX or a Pro (on x86 not Sparc platform so use different firmware). super-poussin's even written an add-on to make it simple if you have a NVX or a Pro or other x86 ReadyNas: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=21739
Message 12 of 24
stream11
Aspirant

Re: b7 and SSH/Putty Disconnects After Login

Had the same problem. Putty closes immediately when you do a valid login.
As suggested above, you should log in as root.
With Putty, you can do this by putting root@ in front of the IP address you want to log in to.
So if your ReadyNAS is at 192.168.1.2, you would fill in at Host Name or IP address: root@192.168.1.2.
This fixed the problem for me.
Message 13 of 24
sbiko
Aspirant

Re: b7 and SSH/Putty Disconnects After Login

Yup It did it for me as well
Message 14 of 24
winger
Tutor

Re: b7 and SSH/Putty Disconnects After Login

This is for my RN Pro Pioneer which I got over a year ago. First time using SSH.

So, I installed the latest EnableRootSSH_1.0-x86.bin. Using Putty, tried to establish a SSH session but was unsuccessful

First, I used the following settings:
HostName: admin@192.168.0.155
Port: 22
Connection Type: SSH


I get:
Using username "admin".
admin@192.168.0.155's password:

I enter my admin password (same as the one that gets me into the RN using my web browser).

Putty closes right away.
-----------------------------------------------

When I try a bad password (such as netgear1, infrant1, etc.), I get:
Access denied
admin@192.168.0.155's password:



Second, I try the following settings:
HostName: root@192.168.0.155
Port: 22
Connection Type: SSH


I try many passwords (my valid admin password, netgear1, infrant1, etc...), but I keep getting:
Access denied
admin@192.168.0.155's password:



Any advice on what to try next?
Message 15 of 24
WhoCares_
Mentor

b7 and SSH/Putty Disconnects After Login

Did you reboot the ReadyNAS after installing the EnableRootSSH add-on? The behaviour if case of logging in as 'admin' is correct since the defined login shell for that user is 'false' which means instant logoff and obviously that's what happens. The behaviour when using the 'root' account is strange but in this case it looks like either the SSH support wasn't initialized correctly (thus the entry question) or you're really using a wrong password. Did you change the admin password somewhen in the past and if so, what happens if you try with an older password?

-Stefan
Message 16 of 24
winger
Tutor

Re: b7 and SSH/Putty Disconnects After Login

Yes, I rebooted after the install.

Also, I do not remember ever using another password.

Funny thing, I have tried to reboot a few times using the System|Shutdown|Shutdown and reboot device option...the unit will NOT reboot!

I hit the power button once, then hit the power button again to have the unit gracefully shut down. Then I toggled the power switch on the back for 5 mins (just to be sure no power hit the unit).

Once the unit was turned back on, it still will NOT reboot using the System|Shutdown|Shutdown and reboot device option...

I noticed also the automatic power down no longer works...using System|Power|Power Timer as it has been reliably every night for since I purchased this unit.

How to proceed?
Message 17 of 24
CharlesLaCour
Aspirant

Re: b7 and SSH/Putty Disconnects After Login

The EnableRootSSH add-on doesn't enable the "admin" login via ssh you need to use root as the user and the password is what you use for the admin account via the Web UI.
Message 18 of 24
WhoCares_
Mentor

b7 and SSH/Putty Disconnects After Login

There seems to be some task running that prevents the NAS from shutting down - probably because it thinks there's something important still at work and that this mustn't be interrupted. This may also have caused the activation of the SSH function to not have completed properly but there's no way of telling.

-Stefan
Message 19 of 24
truittvance
Aspirant

Re: b7 and SSH/Putty Disconnects After Login

winger wrote:
This is for my RN Pro Pioneer which I got over a year ago. First time using SSH.

So, I installed the latest EnableRootSSH_1.0-x86.bin. Using Putty, tried to establish a SSH session but was unsuccessful

First, I used the following settings:
HostName: admin@192.168.0.155
Port: 22
Connection Type: SSH


I get:
Using username "admin".
admin@192.168.0.155's password:

I enter my admin password (same as the one that gets me into the RN using my web browser).

Putty closes right away.
-----------------------------------------------

When I try a bad password (such as netgear1, infrant1, etc.), I get:
Access denied
admin@192.168.0.155's password:



Second, I try the following settings:
HostName: root@192.168.0.155
Port: 22
Connection Type: SSH


I try many passwords (my valid admin password, netgear1, infrant1, etc...), but I keep getting:
Access denied
admin@192.168.0.155's password:



Any advice on what to try next?


did you ever get this resolved? I have similar issues with Putty closing after giving it a password that appears to "work". thanks.
Message 20 of 24
techman05
Guide

Re: b7 and SSH/Putty Disconnects After Login

Sorry if this isn't directly helpfull but putty v.62 is out so since v60 is the only one listed ,you might want to check release notes for it.
Message 21 of 24
Moneta1
Aspirant

Re: b7 and SSH/Putty Disconnects After Login

stream wrote:
Had the same problem. Putty closes immediately when you do a valid login.
As suggested above, you should log in as root.
With Putty, you can do this by putting root@ in front of the IP address you want to log in to.
So if your ReadyNAS is at 192.168.1.2, you would fill in at Host Name or IP address: root@192.168.1.2.
This fixed the problem for me.


This fixed the issue for me as well. Now I can actually fix the issue that caused me to install SSH in the 1st place.
Message 22 of 24
Mastacheata
Aspirant

Re: b7 and SSH/Putty Disconnects After Login

You might want to check if you set a default username in the putty settings under Connection -> Data -> "Auto-login username".
Another common source for this problem could be some kind of on-connect sent command under Connection -> SSH -> "Remote command"
Message 23 of 24
dchang0
Aspirant

Re: b7 and SSH/Putty Disconnects After Login

Here's the real (belated) fix for this problem.

It's the default shell for the non-root user.

If you look in /etc/passwd (as root), you'll see that non-root users are assigned a default shell of /bin/false.

Change this to /bin/bash for EACH non-root user, and sftp and ssh magically start working for them.

Obviously, to get this far, you will have to enable root SSH AND ssh in as root to make the changes to /etc/passwd.
Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements