Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NetGear NAS 102

vino_david
Aspirant

NetGear NAS 102

I want to copy songs to Music folder in NAS. Before i used to drag songs from PC into Music Folder in NAS using ReadyCloud.

Now, how do i do it. Can anyone help.

Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: NetGear NAS 102

The easiest way is to map a drive letter (maybe M:) to the Music share of the NAS.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 18

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

The easiest way is to map a drive letter (maybe M:) to the Music share of the NAS.

Message 2 of 18
vino_david
Aspirant

Can u explain step by step pls in points what I have to do. It will help me easy understand.

Message 3 of 18
vino_david
Aspirant

I will tell in detail my problem.

1. I have 1 TB drive inside NAS. In that drive there is Music Folder in which i have 400 gb of songs. The NAS is accessed by Bluesound streamer for music streaming. 

2. Whenever i get new albums as FLAC which is stored in PC..i transfer that particular FLAC album from PC to Music Folder in NAS via ReadyCloud.

3. Now since there is no ReadyCloud. I am unable to transfer or copy files from PC to Music Folder in NAS.

4. I use PC to only transfer songs to NAS and later PC will be off.

5. NAS is setup with music system in hall. PC is in very different room.

Message 4 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

I cannot give you specific instructions on mapping a drive without knowing the IP address of your NAS.  But you can find plenty of articles on doing that, it's not ReadyNAS specific.  Just Google "Map SMB share in Windows".

You do have to have SMB enabled and user access set up for the share(s) you want to access unless you are using the admin account (which isn't really the best idea).   Your ReadyCloud user name won't work locally.  Those are ReadyNAS specific and are covered in the software manual.  You can find the manuals here: Readynas_os_6#docs .  If you still have trouble, come back with more specifics.

FYI, ReadyCloud was never your best way of using your NAS.  Netgear wanted people to think their NAS is some sort of "local cloud storage", which is not a thing (it's local, or it's in the cloud, it's not both).  To do so, it pushed using ReadyCloud even for local access, then they pulled the rug out from everyone they bamboozled by shutting down ReadyCloud.  ReadyCloud was the easiest (but certainly not best) way to implement remote access to your NAS.

Message 5 of 18
vino_david
Aspirant

IF i map drive as Z: in NAS...i can write files in existing Music Folder in NAS ?

Message 6 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@vino_david - we can help if you give us a bit more information.

Try installing RAIDar on your PC from 

Then tell us the IP address that it shows for the NAS.  If you aren't sure, you could post a screen shot.

Message 7 of 18
vino_david
Aspirant

RAIDar 6.5 for Windows --- i click this... but i get error box saying ...Java install etc etc..

Message 8 of 18
vino_david
Aspirant

Message 9 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@vino_david wrote:

RAIDar 6.5 for Windows --- i click this... but i get error box saying ...Java install etc etc..

Try installing this first:

Then try to install RAIDar again.

Message 10 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

@vino_david wrote:

IF i map drive as Z: in NAS...i can write files in existing Music Folder in NAS ?

Yes, it's a lot easier and faster than using the web interface, which is the other option.  In addition to using RAIDar to find the IP address of your NAS, you'll want to run it as a way of "checking in" on your NAS's health, especially with a NAS without as display.  I look at it every day and log into the admin interface at least once a week to make sure things are going fine (my NAS are rack-mount, so no display, and also in a storage room instead of my computer room).  A NAS is not a "set and forget" device, it requires a little bit of care to insure any small glitch doesn't become a huge problem.  I personally don't think the email alerts are sufficient (especially when it comes to drive errors).  You can find plenty of posts in the forum from users who missed an initial small error that grew into a big one.

And while I'm on the subject of NAS maintenance, though it's a bit off topic, a reboot is usually not the best move to fix one of those small errors.  Windows users are in the habit of doing just that, but on a NAS, it can be one of the best ways to go from a damaged volume you can still copy the data from, or maybe even repair, to a dead volume.  If you see what looks like a problem you don't know how to deal with, come here and ask questions before you do anything.  We may ultimately suggest a re-boot, but it's rarely the first thing to try.

Message 11 of 18
vino_david
Aspirant

I have attached screenshot of my NAS ip address etc etc. What is next step now please...

Message 12 of 18
vino_david
Aspirant

I mapped it just asu said. It assiged Z: to my Music Folder in NAS. But when i dragged a folder from PC and dropped it in Z:Music Folder in NAS.. I get message like " You need permission to write etc....."

See the attachment...

Message 13 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@vino_david wrote:

I mapped it just asu said. It assiged Z: to my Music Folder in NAS. But when i dragged a folder from PC and dropped it in Z:Music Folder in NAS.. I get message like " You need permission to write etc....."

It sounds like you aren't using the credentials for a user account on the NAS.

Did you create a user account in the NAS web ui?

If you didn't, then you need to do that. Then you need to map the drive using that account's username and password. 

Message 14 of 18
vino_david
Aspirant

I have username and password created long back in UI. Did u see my screenshot. Am already confused... so much 

Message 15 of 18
vino_david
Aspirant

See the screenshot in attachment. You see many folders and in all of them i can freely copy any file and delte any files EXCEPT THIS MUSIC FOLDER I CAN COPY FROM THIS FOLDER BUT ITS NOT ALLOWING ANYTHING TO WRITE ON IT.

Message 16 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@vino_david wrote:

See the screenshot in attachment. You see many folders and in all of them i can freely copy any file and delte any files EXCEPT THIS MUSIC FOLDER I CAN COPY FROM THIS FOLDER BUT ITS NOT ALLOWING ANYTHING TO WRITE ON IT.

Yes, I did see that.

The problem is that you aren't being given write permissions to any of the files (even though you can read them).

Generally this has two possible causes:

1. You didn't map the drive using account credentials for your NAS user account  OR
  2. The file permissions on the NAS are not set up to give your NAS user account write access.

I think it is more likely that the issue is (1).

So I would suggest that you first go to the Accounts page of the NAS Web ui, and make sure you have a user account listed there.  This would be on the "Users" tab, not the "Cloud Users" Tab.  In other words, this should NOT be a ReadyCloud account.  If you don't have an account set up there, then you need to create one.  (Note - there should be an admin account on the Users page already.  But if that is the only account listed, you need to add another one).

The second step is to map the share using that account name and password.  Not sure how you mapped the Z drive, so I'd need to know specifically how you did that in order to give you the right advice.

Once we are certain that you are using correct credentials, we can take a closer look at the network and file permissions on the NAS share.

Message 17 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

If you changed the share permissions after putting files/folders in it, you may also need to reset permissions.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements