Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN102 Readycloud Dropbox replacement

Hawk321
Apprentice

RN102 Readycloud Dropbox replacement

Hello,

I want to use readycloud as an dropbox replacement and started to make the first steps into the topic and very soon I run into some problems.

I use Readycloud on IOS, OSX and Windows 10. 

First I setup my readycloud on the Win10 PC and chose the Dropbox folder to sync to the cloud. But I can only chose the origin folder but not the destination folder. So the folder is now synced to a new share called PCXY123-Dropbox.  Thats not what I wanted. I want the folder to sync to /C/Sharexy/Dropbox.

How can I set the destination folder? I cant find an option.

Next problem is my MacBook. I seems I can only choose a folder on /C but as the Dropbox folder is quite big its on the /D storage. I tried to link it somehow but it never worked out for me. I know that in Unix/Linux systems you can create a link like a virtual folder but its some time since I did it.  Maybe someone can help me here as well. 

Next problem is that if Iam connected to the local network the readycloud app is not working properly. I can see the pirctures in the app but if I click on them they are not opening. If I use LTE it works! So it seems there is a problem or bug in the app. I stored also some music in the folder but if I click on it it opens the safari browser and I get an apache server error. I thought a music player app or something like that would appear and play the content.

Help is highly appreciated. 

Best,

Simon

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 7
Hawk321
Apprentice

Betreff: RN102 Readycloud Dropbox replacement

So no one has any answers to my questions? 😞

Message 2 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN102 Readycloud Dropbox replacement

@Hawk321

"First I setup my readycloud on the Win10 PC and chose the Dropbox folder to sync to the cloud. But I can only chose the origin folder but not the destination folder. So the folder is now synced to a new share called PCXY123-Dropbox.  Thats not what I wanted. I want the folder to sync to /C/Sharexy/Dropbox."

ReadyCloud sync by design will create a new share with <PCNAME-Folder> e.g.  PCXY123-Dropbox. there's a post under Ideas exchange about this.

"Next problem is my MacBook. I seems I can only choose a folder on /C but as the Dropbox folder is quite big its on the /D storage. I tried to link it somehow but it never worked out for me. I know that in Unix/Linux systems you can create a link like a virtual folder but its some time since I did it.  Maybe someone can help me here as well."

Is this regarding backing up a PC folder to ReadyCloud? You should be able to choose /D contents from the app.

"Next problem is that if I am connected to the local network the readycloud app is not working properly. I can see the pirctures in the app but if I click on them they are not opening. If I use LTE it works! So it seems there is a problem or bug in the app. I stored also some music in the folder but if I click on it it opens the safari browser and I get an apache server error. I thought a music player app or something like that would appear and play the content."

We will check and reproduce this issue. Regarding opening a music file. opening it on Chrome gets it to play. This might be related to a browser issue.

HTH

Regards

Message 3 of 7
Hawk321
Apprentice

@Marc_V

Thanks for the answer thought already this forum is dead.

"First I setup my readycloud on the Win10 PC and chose the Dropbox folder to sync to the cloud. But I can only chose the origin folder but not the destination folder. So the folder is now synced to a new share called PCXY123-Dropbox.  Thats not what I wanted. I want the folder to sync to /C/Sharexy/Dropbox."

ReadyCloud sync by design will create a new share with <PCNAME-Folder> e.g.  PCXY123-Dropbox. there's a post under Ideas exchange about this.

The post you are you talking about is from 2018-10-22 01:16 PM. So netgear didnt implement a basic dropbox functionality which exists for years in their main Cloud tool for nearby a year after they got asked for it. Can you please ask the devs if they plan to implement that in future oder maybe better if there is a roadmap?

"Next problem is my MacBook. I seems I can only choose a folder on /C but as the Dropbox folder is quite big its on the /D storage. I tried to link it somehow but it never worked out for me. I know that in Unix/Linux systems you can create a link like a virtual folder but its some time since I did it.  Maybe someone can help me here as well."

Is this regarding backing up a PC folder to ReadyCloud? You should be able to choose /D contents from the app.

No - Its about a MacBook folder not a PC folder. See above "Mac Book".   If you have an D drive it means its a usb or SD card on MacBooks because  normaly they come with only one single drive. It seems readycloud isnt supporting SD cards? Is there a workaround you can suggest?

"Next problem is that if I am connected to the local network the readycloud app is not working properly. I can see the pirctures in the app but if I click on them they are not opening. If I use LTE it works! So it seems there is a problem or bug in the app. I stored also some music in the folder but if I click on it it opens the safari browser and I get an apache server error. I thought a music player app or something like that would appear and play the content."

We will check and reproduce this issue. Regarding opening a music file. opening it on Chrome gets it to play. This might be related to a browser issue.

Iam talking about your Iphone netgearcloud app. This is an issue I can track back, to 2016, spread all over the internet. Pictures arent loading while connected to the same wifi/network, music isnt playing and so on.

Will netgear patch that? Otherwise the app is unusable on Iphones.

Its really sad to see that netgear cloud isnt developed anymore or at least the focus was shifted elsewhere. 

Message 4 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Hawk321

The post you are you talking about is from 2018-10-22 01:16 PM. So netgear didnt implement a basic dropbox functionality which exists for years in their main Cloud tool for nearby a year after they got asked for it. Can you please ask the devs if they plan to implement that in future oder maybe better if there is a roadmap?

You may want to add a Kudo on the post or create a new Ideas Exchange post for users to agree with, Engineers are checking on this board to see what features are most requested and they usually check it through the Kudos received by the post and study if the request is feasible to implement.

No - Its about a MacBook folder not a PC folder. See above "Mac Book".   If you have an D drive it means its a usb or SD card on MacBooks because  normaly they come with only one single drive. It seems readycloud isnt supporting SD cards? Is there a workaround you can suggest?

I understand, I don't have a MacBook so I really cannot replicate what you are seeing but on my Windows Laptop I can select USB drives so it should be the same. Have you tried reinstalling ReadyCloud? or check the mount?

Iam talking about your Iphone netgearcloud app. This is an issue I can track back, to 2016, spread all over the internet. Pictures arent loading while connected to the same wifi/network, music isnt playing and so on.

Will netgear patch that? Otherwise the app is unusable on Iphones.

Its really sad to see that netgear cloud isnt developed anymore or at least the focus was shifted elsewhere. 

I just tried playing a music and checking photos on IP5s and it works fine.

HTH

Regards

Message 5 of 7
Hawk321
Apprentice

Hi,

and thanks for your answers.

I gave a Kudo on the idea topic. But this a absolut basic function which should have been implemented years ago. So once again is there a roadmap for the readycloud available? I want to see what  way we are heading.

About adding a folder on a SD card on OSx. Well it isnt working the devs should look into this an patch/implement it or offer at least a workaround.

About using the app on an IPhone 5s and it did playing a song as you said. Have you been conncted to the same WiFi as the netgear NAS? Because then it isnt working. 

If you are connected to another WiFi or on LTE it works most of the time.  But often you are at home and want to check some stuff on you phone like showing pictures or playing a song and then you are boned.

Message 6 of 7
Hawk321
Apprentice

I just figured out that media backup on IOS is also not working properly. Uploading from media backup stopped. I enabled also the "Backup in Background"  function but it will not backup. Its the same amount of pictures who have to been backuped as last time I checked.

Also en/disabeling the the Uploading process isnt changing anything. Neither restarting the app is working.

That means the app stopped backuping the pictures in foreground and as well in background

???

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements