Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 - Can't get ReadyCLOUD to work or browser discovery to pick up the device on the LAN

DECEiFER
Aspirant

RN104 - Can't get ReadyCLOUD to work or browser discovery to pick up the device on the LAN

Hi,

Just set up this NAS yesterday for a small business and today I was asked for external file access. Naturally I thought I might as well give ReadyCLOUD a go, but sadly it's the opposite - a no-go. The unit was updated to firmware 6.5.1 when I was on site yesterday, and it is very much so on the LAN. I've also tried DHCP and a Static IP with Google's DNS servers. I stuck the unit's IP in the DMZ in the router (for testing only), which is a Cisco RV220W. I still cannot "Discover" the device via the given web link. I tried RAIDar and that only gives basic options - nothing pertaining to discovery.

I tried enabling ReadyCLOUD from the admin UI and it asks for an email and password to a MyNETGEAR account. Sounds straightforward. I created two accounts and none of them work. It either says, "Local user with the same name already exists" or it stops altogether with no error or prompt. Apart from the admin user, I created one other user that Windows uses to authenticate to get access to the shared folder - which worked fine from the beginning. Therefore in Accounts > Users only the two users are listed, none of which match the MyNETGEAR accounts I'd created. In the Accounts > Cloud Users, there is nothing. The log says "user deleted" each time I try to authenticate for ReadyCLOUD. In the Cloud menu, I sometimes get the "Internet Available" and "Services Available" with green checkmarks next to it - sometimes I get nothing.

This is very frustrating as I remember having a crappy Iomega "cloud drive" before that worked, albeit while being troublesome at times. I figured this unit would be more upmarket and ready to get to work.

At this time I do not have physical access to the unit and I won't be on site again until later next week. I can't check the serial number to verify that it's the same as the one showing in the admin UI and RAIDar, though I can ask one of the folks in the office to call that out to me tomorrow, and from what I've been reading, other people with similar issues who pressed the "Backup" button as instructed for 5 seconds had no luck. Though, I watched a YouTube video and it worked right off the bat for the guy, so I'm stumped...

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 5
DECEiFER
Aspirant

Re: RN104 - Can't get ReadyCLOUD to work or browser discovery to pick up the device on the LAN

Okay, so I somehow managed to get ReadyCLOUD switched on by signing into one of the two MyNETGEAR accounts. I'm just not sure why it worked this time and not before. It seems to be quite finnicky overall, like the cheap Iomega I once had.

However, it's still a no-go, as I still can't associate the device with the account via the browser and I've tried installing the ReadyCLOUD app and it basically says "Currently you have no registered devices," same as what's said when signed into the account on the browser. I've tried "Discovery" both signed in to the account and signed out, in case it matters.

Right now the device is on DHCP (though a static IP assignment in the router just isn't taking no matter how many times I reboot the NAS or the router itself), whereas all the other computers and printers on the router take theirs just fine. I'm using the correct MAC address on the eth0 port for the assignment. Nevertheless, I've put the NAS's DHCP-assigned IP into the router's DMZ and it's still coming up empty in terms of discovery on the site. The router has UPnP enabled as well.

I'm out of ideas but I feel it's a half victory getting ReadyCLOUD switched on. Perhaps the Backup button absolutely needs to be pressed during discovery - as mentioned in the video I linked to, where he did it AFTER the device was picked up, and mentioned it was just to identify which NAS - in case there are more than one - is applicable? I was under the impression that it'd be of no use from what I've read, though.

Still, I'm desperate for ideas.

Message 2 of 5
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN104 - Can't get ReadyCLOUD to work or browser discovery to pick up the device on the LAN

Hi DECEiFER,

Welcome to the community!

If you want to discover your ReadyNAS, you can use the RAIDar utility to find it and manage it via browser via http://NAS-IP address or https://NAS-IP address. Setting up a static IP address can easily be done by accessing the admin page and changing the IP information of the device under Network->eth0 or eth1. Once done, you can reserve an IP using the MAC address of the active NIC or ethernet interface also found in the admin page under Network tab. With regard to your ReadyCLOUD concern, just ensure that the account that you have signed in or entered in the Cloud tab, should be the same account that you will use to login via http://readycloud.netgear.com/client/index.html#page=access (web portal page) and through the desktop or mobile apps. Lastly, ensure that your ReadyCLOUD or SSO account e-mail address is not used by any local user registered in your ReadyNAS system and should not exceed 32 characters.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 5
DECEiFER
Aspirant

Hi BrianL,

I've done all of that, including the email not being used by a local user and being singned into the same account on Netgear in the same browser. I'm good with the static IP. I just prefer to assign it in the router - but in the NAS itself will do.

I didn't make it onsite this week so I'll give it another go next week when I'm there and will post back any results/feedback.

Thanks for your reply and time!

Message 4 of 5
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DECEiFER,

Thanks for your feedback. If the ReadyCLOUD still won't work, I suggest that you try testing it with a newly created account (secondary) as admin.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements