Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyCLOUD won't discover my NAS

fredsnet
Aspirant

ReadyCLOUD won't discover my NAS

I received an email that my ReadyCLOUD account was being migrated to a MyNETGEAR account.  I didn't have a ReadyCLOUD account so I set on up.  I don't know the firmware, I'm using Win10 on this computer.

I'm trying to discover the NAS device but I get errors in both Firefox and Windows IE when I try to do so.  This is the IE error:There is a problem with this website’s security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority.

The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.
 We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.
 Recommended iconClick here to close this webpage.
 Not recommended iconContinue to this website (not recommended).

More informationMore information

What am I supposed to do if neither of my web browsers will open the device?

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 10
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyCLOUD won't discover my NAS

Hi fredsnet,

Welcome to the community!

Just continue accessing the admin page (it's safe) to proceed with the Setup Wizard. You don't need ReadyCLOUD in finishing the setup process. If you want to discover your ReadyNAS, I suggest that you use the RAIDar utility.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 10
StephenB
Guru

It is safe because you know you are reaching your own NAS.  The security issue is simply the NAS s asserting its own identity (via a "self signed" certificate).  If this were a web server on the internet, that wouldn't be enough.  You'd want a certificate from a certificate authority, so you'd be sure that www.netgear.com was reaching a website hosted by the real Netgear.

Once you've taken the plunge, you can save a security exception in firefox, so you won't see the message again for the NAS.

Message 3 of 10
fredsnet
Aspirant

Thanks, Brian, but I have forgotten how to access the admin page.  Help, please.  I have had, and have been using, the NAS since last year.  If I use RAIDar will it do what I need to create the MyNETGEAR account?  I'm really not sure what it's for anyway.

Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@fredsnet wrote:

I have forgotten how to access the admin page.  

You actually DID reach it - that's when you got the security exception.

You can reach it directly using https://nas-ip-address/admin - using whatever the real IP address is.  RAIDar will tell this to you if you don't know it already.

@fredsnet wrote:

If I use RAIDar will it do what I need to create the MyNETGEAR account?  I'm really not sure what it's for anyway.

The mynetgear thing is only needed if you are a ReadyCloud user.  The migration to the new accounts hasn't begun yet, so even if you do use ReadyCloud there is nothing for you to do right now.

Message 5 of 10
fredsnet
Aspirant

OK.  Thanks.  But now I found that I don't know my password.  My password hint in my favorite color.  My favorite color has been my favorite color for almost 60 years so I've tried all combinations of upper/lower case with no positive result.  I believe my username is correct as I don't get an error about it not existing.  What to do?

Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

If you are wanting the admin web ui of the NAS, then the username has to be admin.  Is that what you tried?

Message 7 of 10
fredsnet
Aspirant

Yes, but I'm unable to recover my password,

Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

The default admin password is password, so try that.

If it still fails. then do an OS reinstall - pages 16-17 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/RN_OS_6_Desktop_HW_UM_12Oct2015.pdf

The OS reinstall will set the network configuaration to use dhcp, and the admin password to password.  It won't destroy your data.

Message 9 of 10
fredsnet
Aspirant

This sounds pretty tricky.  I'm trying to find backup space to backup what I now have on the NAS so if I screw the OS-thing I'll still have my data.  I can't overstate the downside of losing my data.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements