Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyCloud Client not syncing a folder

bravo03
Aspirant

ReadyCloud Client not syncing a folder

Hello,

Recently, I experienced a hard drive crash which prompted significant research into what I save, how I save, and how I backup.  In the end, I am using the ReadyNAS 102 with 2 3TB drives in Raid1.  While I am using the backup feature to create regular backups (and a separate portable drive for off site backup and storage), I purchased the ReadyNAS also for its ability to sync and create a personal cloud type of service (for access at home and away).  My goal was to create a real time sync of the MyDocuments folder on my desktop (approx 20+ GB - I realize it might be a little slow).  After some serious searching, I found what others found in that the "Sync" feature creates a user folder without the ability to point to another folder (OK).  I worked around this and repointed the typical "MyDocuments" folder to the User\ReadyCloud folder (anytime I save to “MyDocuments” it actually saves in the ReadyCloud folder which can be synced through the ReadyCloud client).

My problem...

...after getting the folder to copy and sync itself the first time, I am currently having difficulty to continue the sync process to keep the local "MyDocuments" folder and the ReadyNAS folder synced.  

1. The "Indexing" of the “MyDocuments” synced folder sometimes seems to be spuratic creeping up from the 5%, 35%, 60% etc, but then jumping back to 7%, going up and coming back down - finally it reaches 100%. I guess this is good.
  2. After indexing completes, the "Synchronizing" starts at this point but it hangs up at 0%.  Seems like no one is home.

Current System:

-Windows 7 Pro

-Model: ReadyNAS 102

-Antivirus: 1/31/2016 (green light)

-ReadyNAS firmware: 6.4.1 (I just checked and no new updates are available)

-ReadyCloud Client: V1.9 (I just checked and it says that I have the latest update)

What I have tried…

1. Logging out of my ReadyCloud client desktop app and logging back in – the syncing remains at 0%.
  2. Logging out of ReadyCloud client, shutting my computer down and starting the process all over – the syncing remains at 0%.
  3. Paused syncing and restarted – the syncing remains at 0%.
  4. Stopped syncing and restarted – the syncing remains at 0%.
  5. Reading other forum posts - “Readycloud Sync not Synchronizing #25064232” – the syncing remains at 0%

What I have not tried…

-uninstalling the ReadyCloud client and reinstalling (I already have the latest client version).

Any thoughts from the “gurus” out there?  It would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 11
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyCloud Client not syncing a folder

Hello bravo03,

Welcome to the community!

Can you try FW 6.4.2 please?

Regards,

Message 2 of 11
HenningPrien
Tutor

Hi

I have the very same issue, have tryed nearly everything the get my ReadyNAS 202 to sync my folders correct. I have just updated to Firmware 6.4.2 as you recommend, NO change at all !

I am running a private business and MUST have a 100 % bullet proff syncronized backup of my folders, - this is currently not the case.

Any other ideas, like how do I restart the whole process again by:

1. Removing all shares on the ReadyNAS

2. Re-install the PC Client

3. Re-do the setup for folders to sync.

How do I do the above, are there any "hidden" secret files/folders that I have to remove on my PC, to ensure a clean-cut for re-starting the process and to ensure no "leftovers" on the PC or the ReadyNAS 202 that will currupt the process to work.

Thanks in advance. 

Message 3 of 11
HenningPrien
Tutor

Hi

Same problem after trying to re-start the whole sync. process.

Have now:

1. Uninstalled ReadyCloud

2. Deleted the shares on the ReadyNAS202

3. Deleted the folder ReadyCloud on my User folder so all .log and .db files are removed

3. Re-installed ReadyCloud on my Windows 7.0 PC

4. Start the Sync process on one of my PC folders

5. After 30 sec. ReadyCloud status: All files up to date (even though I have app. 75 Gb of data !)

6. On the ReadyNAS admin the Share for the above has consumed 75 Gb !

7. I have app. 20 folders on my PC folder to Sync, ONLY only one folder is visible on the ReadyNAS

ReadyCloud and ReadyNAS are updated to latest version, my Windows 7 is updated with latest new updates.

Any good ideas ?

I purchased my ReadyNAS 202 due to the Sync feature with ReadyCloud, however if I can't trust it have to buy another solution that is bullet proof.

Message 4 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@HenningPrien wrote:

I purchased my ReadyNAS 202 due to the Sync feature with ReadyCloud, however if I can't trust it have to buy another solution that is bullet proof.

You might look into OwnCloud or the BitTorrent sync app.  I haven't used them myself (so I am not recommending either).  But they look like possibilities to me.

Message 5 of 11
bravo03
Aspirant

Thanks JennC,

I downloaded the zip file for the RN102.  I unzipped and did a manual update.  The Admin screen of the RN102 indicated a reboot was necessary.  I accepted the default and allowed it to reboot.  I verified the new firmware was 6.4.2.  So far so good.

I logged back into the ReadyCloud client and watched the "synced" folder do its thing.  

-Multiple times it indexed and started over (is it indexing 1 time for each subfolder in the synced folder?)

-It finally finished "indexing" and switched to "Synchronizing..."

-Currently the "Synchronizing..." is at 0%.  If has been at 0% for 8 minutes now with no change.

Not sure what else I should try.  Any thoughts?  Your help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 11
bravo03
Aspirant

Update...

...at 12 minutes into the "Synchronization...0%", I clicked the pop up menu on the folder and selected "Stop Syncing".  The folder icon changed back to a normal folder on the NAS.

I then re-synced by clicking on the pop up menu and selecting "Sync Folder".  

--The folder seemed to "Index" again although not for as long

--The "Synchronization..." actually started working after a couple of minute waiting at 0%

--The synchronization slowly progressed up to 100% over the next 13 minutes (seems reasonable)

--The "Synchronization" quickly flashed to "Download" (if I wasn't glued to the screen, I would have missed it)

--The "Synchronization..." started again back at 0% and hasn't moved since (for the last 12 minutes)

Test for the syncing folder...

-I created a quick TXT file locally and then went to my browser and looked on the NAS (no syncing, even after refreshing a time or two)

-I copied an existing file on the NAS and looked in my local browser (no syncing, even after F5 to refresh the browser window)

(pause 5 minutes)

-I just checked the syncing folder both locally and on the NAS, no syncing of the files I created 5 minutes ago.

Any new thoughts to try?  Again, your feedback is appreciated.

Message 7 of 11
saifbukhari
Aspirant

Same Issues here, stucks a 100% then starts at 0%

Dont know if my backup is happening or not

When I try to backup the same windows folder , it shows backup job already configured, but where is the job configured I cant seem to see.

any help from netgear is appreciated.

I just need a plain incremental backup - please assist

Message 8 of 11
koolfrank87
Apprentice

I ran into something similar when trying to backup the entire user profile.  Sometimes there are folders/symbolic links that point back to the root level and I have noticed that the app cannot handle that.  It will never finish syncing.  Take a look in the folder you are trying to backup and make sure there is nothing that points back to the main level.

try playing with this command:

dir /AL /S <Path>

where <Path> is the folder in question.

Hope this helps.

Message 9 of 11
HenningPrien
Tutor

I have powered off my new ReadyNas202 and do not want to use it anymore.

I do not have time to fiddle with issues like the RadyCloud not syncing my folders correct. I need something 100 % bulletproff to sync my folders. I see that several ReadyNAS users do have the very same problem and there are NO straight forward mothod of how-to-do when the sync. is not working anymore.

I have spend too much time now on this issue and do not want to spend more time, I will now have a two month old ReadyNAS202 for sale.

Message 10 of 11
koolfrank87
Apprentice

Sorry to hear that you are getting ride of it.  I am sure someone will beable to put it to use.

I ran into your exact issue.  I was frustrated as well, but I was able to get it to work.

Best of luck!

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements