Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 314 remote access

JVand
Star

ReadyNAS 314 remote access

I'm attempting to set up a replacement for ReadyCloud using OpenVPN for accessing my files remotely.  I've set up DDNS using noip.com and created a port forwarding rule in my router using TCP/UDP port 6300.  When I test the connection using PortCheckTool.com I get a "Connection Refused" error, suggesting that the port forward is working but the NAS is not set up to receive the connection.  Can anyone assist with what to change on the NAS please?  Or is there a better way to replace ReadyCloud for remote access to my files?  I'm not interested in using cloud services as suggested by Netgear.

Thanks

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@JVand wrote:

However, I'll still need to know what port the ReadyNAS uses for accessing files won't I? 

No.  You install the VPN client on your remote devices (phone and PC).  When the VPN is connected, you'll have full access to your network (just as you would when you are home).

No need to forward SMB or other ports.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@JVand wrote:

I'm attempting to set up a replacement for ReadyCloud using OpenVPN for accessing my files remotely.  I've set up DDNS using noip.com and created a port forwarding rule in my router using TCP/UDP port 6300. 

Have you tried to install the OpenVPN server on the NAS?  Generally it is much easier to get a router with built-in OpenVPN support.

It is possible to install ZeroTier on the NAS (and it doesn't need port forwarding).  Not sure if it is possible to install the current version of OpenVPN on Debian Jessie.

Message 2 of 5
JVand
Star

Thanks for your reply @StephenB I've decided to take your advice and purchase a router that supports OpenVPN.  However, I'll still need to know what port the ReadyNAS uses for accessing files won't I?  Is it 445 for SMB?

Thanks

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@JVand wrote:

However, I'll still need to know what port the ReadyNAS uses for accessing files won't I? 

No.  You install the VPN client on your remote devices (phone and PC).  When the VPN is connected, you'll have full access to your network (just as you would when you are home).

No need to forward SMB or other ports.

Message 4 of 5
JVand
Star

Excellent.  Thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements