Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS102 - No Access After Update

Stuuk1
Aspirant

ReadyNAS102 - No Access After Update

Hi,

I was away from my NAS trying to access it via Readycloud. I was prompted to update the firmware and could not do anything else until it was done so I clicked ok.. After waiting a while it said the NAS was not responding.

Now at home, I cannot access the NAS through my network. If I unplug the NAS and plug it directly in to my computer (Windows 7) I can access it through the explorer window to view files.

Does anyone have any ideas? RAIDAR does not detect the NAS at all but to be honest, it never has. Neither has the identify button on Readycloud.. Readycloud simply says my NAS is offline and to check it is turned on and connected to the internet.. which it is.

Is there any other way to access the NAS settings? The only way I can access the NAS at all is as I described above, by plugging the NAS in to my computer directly (ethernet) to view the shares.

I have read some other threads on this but they do not help my situation. I have also seen some threads say to re-install the OS which I am cautious about doing (I don't know how to do that anyway.. these things should just work out of the box!). I have paid customers photographs on the NAS which I simply cannot risk losing.

I am getting tired on the Netgear NAS, it is just problem after problem. How can a reputable company like this send out poor quality updates?!

Any help would be much appreciated. I do not even know which firmware the NAS has been updated to as it would not tell me.

Edit 1:

I also cannot connect to the admin site as it just times out. I have checked the IP address on my router and it is correct.

Edit 2:

I have checked again on my router and the NAS is currently "Not Connected". I'm guessing that something is wrong in the software on the NAS telling it to stay offline.

Message 1 of 5
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Re: ReadyNAS102 - No Access After Update

It is not recommended updating the NAS remotely as connection to the server while downloading the FW file can be interrupted, this will result to a corrupted FW. OS reinstall is one thing you can try (this will not delete any files, but will put the admin password back to default and set the IP back to DHCP), if you are hesitant to perform it yourself might as well contact support and let them diagnose the issue and they can guide you to perform it.

There are some other factors that can cause the issues you are having namely drive failures, network issues or dying ethernet ports. If the files are really that important to you, your best bet is to contact support and have it diagnosed by the experts and their engineers.

http://support.netgear.com/general/contact/
Message 2 of 5
Stuuk1
Aspirant

Nhellie wrote:
It is now recommended updating the NAS remotely as connection to the server while downloading the FW file can be interrupted, this will result to a corrupted FW. OS reinstall is one thing you can try (this will not delete any files, but will put the admin password back to default and set the IP back to DHCP), if you are hesitant to perform it yourself might as well contact support and let them diagnose the issue and they can guide you to perform it.

There are some other factors that can cause the issues you are having namely drive failures, network issues or dying ethernet ports. If the files are really that important to you, your best bet is to contact support and have it diagnosed by the experts and their engineers.

http://support.netgear.com/general/contact/

Hi,

Thank you for taking time to reply. I have contacted someone on here who has kindly offered some help.

I am in the process of backing up what I can however some folders cannot be read and something has changed various folder names... I'm hoping that they are not corrupt and that an OS re-install will fix the file path issue.

When you say remotely, do you mean locally? From now on I will update via the usb method if I read something the other correctly...
Message 3 of 5
Nhellie
Virtuoso

I was supposed to say "NOT" instead of "NOW" (sorry)( I have edited the post btw), when I said remotely what I mean is over the internet. USB method is not necessary, over the LAN update is fine. OS reinstall should be able to fix the path issues and corruption.
Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

After the firmware is downloaded we verify the download before installing it. That's why we have a checksum stored in the header of the firmware image. We also do additional checks after the NAS is rebooted before the update is applied. So it doesn't matter whether a local or remote update is done.
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements