Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Selecting Folders with ReadyCloud Backup and ReadyNas 6.2

Bell98
Guide

Selecting Folders with ReadyCloud Backup and ReadyNas 6.2

ReadyNas 6.2 and ReadyCloud Backup.
I have a Windows 8.1 with a small SSD as my C Drive, because of this I had to move all my Docs,Pics,Videos & Music to a spinning drive elsewhere "F:\". The new file locations have been indexed and when "Documents" for example, is selected from Libraries there are all the files and folders. I've been using Syncback from 2BrightSparks a great program but I'd like to use the new BackUp facility on ReadyCloud (1.6.1143).
Initially when I installed ReadyCloud it created Docs, Pics etc backup folders on the ReadyNas and I soon got a Green Tick for "My Pictures" so everything must be synced up and obviously ReadyCloud knew where things were stored as I could see the same Directory Structure as the F:\ Drive except, then I noticed that the first two folders were missing in the Backup of My Pictures including their contents (over 1,800 files). I paused the Backup syncing and started it again hoping this would poke ReadyCloud into checking the structure again, it didn't another tick but the files still missing.
I then stopped My Pics Backup hoping when I reconnected to the PC again it would rebuild the tree. It started to rebuild the directory tree but the wrong way. It started downloading all the pictures it had uploaded earlier to Backup My Pics down into the SSD in C:\Users\me\ReadyCloud, the very place I don't want them.
OK back to ReadyCloud and "Backup PC Folder" sadly this only shows the folders that are in my C:\Users\Me directory. Is there any way of telling ReadyCloud the required folders are elsewhere i.e. F:\My Pictures (the same as Syncback) even if it entails an Regedit. I've uninstalled ReadyCloud and reinstalled it having "Destroyed" the backup folders on ReadyNas hoping it would find My Libraries again and create Backup Folders on the ReadyNas, but it didn't.
Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
chainlinc
Guide

Re: Selecting Folders with ReadyCloud Backup and ReadyNas 6.

Not sure if this will work with a mapped (F:\) drive, but:

You may create a symbolic link from the folder you want to one of the folders that Netgear forces you to choose from.

Windows command prompt (as administrator)
MKLINK /J C:\Folder C:\Users\User1\Favorites\Folder

The above will create a hard symbolic link and allow 'C:\Folder' to be backed up via the selection of 'Favorites'. It also brings all of Favorites with it, so you could choose a different, unused folder from the Netgear selection.
Message 2 of 5
EskenderNG
NETGEAR Employee

Hello,

As I understand from your post, you used the Sync function of ReadyCLOUD and not the Backup function. Furthermore, if I understand correctly you then copied manually your pictures to the ReadyNAS.

This would then in fact sync the data back to your PC and store them in the location you mentioned. This is the normal behavior for the Sync function. Any changes on the client will also be made on the ReadyNAS and vice versa.

What you are looking for is the Backup PC folder function that you also mentioned. And to round everything up, you are right, only folders in your user home directory can be chosen as backup source.

Bye,
Eskender
Message 3 of 5
Bell98
Guide

Folders can now be selected in ReadyCloud 1.8, now makes this feature usable.

Message 4 of 5
Bell98
Guide

@Bell98 wrote:

Folders can now be selected in ReadyCloud 1.8, now makes this feature usable.

I withdraw that comment. I've spent days trying to use Backup PC Folder and failing. I've backed up my Document folder in F:\ to discover over 35,000 files have not been backed up. I'm plagued with a pop-up and a jingle every few seconds stating 32 files were ignored (never mind the other 35,000).

If I stop the back-up and try to Sync with PC again there is no way of pointing to where the original folder was (in F:\). Is there any chance of program writers understanding that when you buy a 250 GB SSD hard drive you will not be putting 75GB of Document files (never mind the 82GB of Music files, never mind the 84GB of Picture files, never mind the 68GB of Video files) onto the C:\ drive, they have to be stored elsewhere so obviously My Docs, My Pics, My Videos and My Music will be elsewhere.

The backup PC folder is a great idea, sadly doesn't work for me.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements