× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Addons on R6

super_poussin
Virtuoso

Addons on R6

Hello

Because it was disclosed most of you can installl addons without going on Genie, perhaps because you have R6 on old X86 Nases or for some other reasons.

Please Guys, Note that Whocares and me spend a lot of time working on those addons to make them work correctly on the new R6 firmware (New SDK, new problem, new desing ...) so it was for us a long run, not always easy. So if you like our addons please think on a donation.

Hope you will like all the new addons we have made.

I don't know on my side what will be Genie in the future, if everyone will use and like R6, but it's clear if genie is not used and the trick to bypass genie is used by everyone without return, I will think on finding a new way to provide addons. Please note, that I'm not a big fan of Genie, but that's the way Netgear ask us to provide addons. Please also note, so it will be clear that the price you see in Genie, it not the amount of money I will have in my pocket, Netgear take a part of it.

I never have done addons for money, but it's more and more time consuming , I consider donation as a "Thank you, continue your work" message. (Addons are done on free time)

Enjoy the addons, Enjoy the readynas

Poussin :arrow:
Message 1 of 43
randomnut1
Apprentice

Re: Addons on R6

Hi,
I actually don't mind paying for apps, and had paid for several already (transmission on my old nas, sabnzbd/couchpotato/etc on new r6).

I tried looking for transmission to pay for in Genie but they make it incredibly difficult. For example, when I go to the Apps section in R6, it does not list Transmission at all. Despite there actually being an avialable package for it.

Secondly, their website is awful. You have to traverse a very slow, buggy website to get to the very last page which lists r6 apps and even then it did not show Transmission as available.

I'm glad the 'loophole' exists because it enabled me to install an app I used heavily on my previous device, and of course will make a donation later today because I have no problems paying for an app I use so much. You are being let down quite badly by Netgear and their shoddy genie service though. They need to actually put some effort into it and make it actually usable.

Thanks for all your efforts with the apps though. It is appreciated, and your work make the devices so much more than simple NAS.
Message 2 of 43
interested
Tutor

In these strange times, unfortunately, nothing is free.

That's why I do not mind if I have to pay or contribute a small sum, because this job requires a lot of time, knowledge, etc..

Luckily, users who have the knowledge, they also share it with us.

Thanks again to all of you, without you, this forum probably would not exist today.
Message 3 of 43
super_poussin
Virtuoso

Addons on R6

Thank you Interested. Agree with you

I will add to my 1st post :

Nobody is forced to pay, the only goal of this post is to explain that doing an addon is not so simple and it require time and knowledge.

So like before people can use all the addons for free if they use the backdoor, I will as long as I have time and pleasure to do addons. If they like an addon a donation is welcome but not mandatory.
If I was doing addon to be rich or have a lot of money, I should have stop since a long time 😛
Message 4 of 43
chirpa
Luminary

+1!
Message 5 of 43
AMRivlin
Apprentice

Maybe readynas/NTGR/genie can read this thread and help users and developers.

Thank you to super-poussin for his continued efforts.
Message 6 of 43
6ril
Aspirant

I'd love to pay for some of your apps poussin, but genie is such a JOKE! Such a crappy website from the buggy 80's that I don't even have access to it ! all I get is NO DEVICES FOUND.
Message 7 of 43
6ril
Aspirant

randomnut wrote:
Hi,
I actually don't mind paying for apps, and had paid for several already (transmission on my old nas, sabnzbd/couchpotato/etc on new r6).

I tried looking for transmission to pay for in Genie but they make it incredibly difficult. For example, when I go to the Apps section in R6, it does not list Transmission at all. Despite there actually being an avialable package for it.

Secondly, their website is awful. You have to traverse a very slow, buggy website to get to the very last page which lists r6 apps and even then it did not show Transmission as available.

I'm glad the 'loophole' exists because it enabled me to install an app I used heavily on my previous device, and of course will make a donation later today because I have no problems paying for an app I use so much. You are being let down quite badly by Netgear and their shoddy genie service though. They need to actually put some effort into it and make it actually usable.

Thanks for all your efforts with the apps though. It is appreciated, and your work make the devices so much more than simple NAS.

TOTALLY AGREE with you !
Genie is a joke!
Message 8 of 43
ahpsi1
Tutor

I agree, Genie is not ready for prime time. I have a 314 freshly configured with two new drives. The only add-on I bought for it through genie is Transmission. It installed and ran, then dissapeared. Next day, installed again, ran, and now it is gone again. Very dissapointed I paid Netgear to mangle super-poussin's add on. Less than useful to have a P2P app that cannot run for more than a few hours without uninstalling itself.
Message 9 of 43
super_poussin
Virtuoso

ahpsi wrote:
I agree, Genie is not ready for prime time. I have a 314 freshly configured with two new drives. The only add-on I bought for it through genie is Transmission. It installed and ran, then dissapeared. Next day, installed again, ran, and now it is gone again. Very dissapointed I paid Netgear to mangle super-poussin's add on. Less than useful to have a P2P app that cannot run for more than a few hours without uninstalling itself.

If you have problem with the addon provide me access to you nas (PM Me) and I will try to solve your issue. Yes Genie is not easy to use. It's for the moment the only way we have to "distribute addons" , addons are tested and validated by Netgear and they take their fee on the price you paid
Message 10 of 43
Leia
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Transmission supports RN213/314/316/516 for now. Cloud you please tell me which f/w version and nas model you used?

And the correct process is like this:
1. Connect your nas and computer to a single router.
2. Go to NAS admin page, enable geine in System->Settings->Services. This will take a while like 5 to 10 minutes for geine initialization.
3. After that you can see your box listed in "My devices" in https://genie.netgear.com/UserProfile/# ... boardPlace: as "Not Activated".
4. Activate your box. You can both activate your box by clicking the "Activate" button in step 3's webpage. Or you can just login the genie market place in NAS admin page Apps->genie Marketplace login.
Then you can see all apps which match with your box model listed in Available page(NAS admin page). And you can see all apps we have now in genie website.

randomnut wrote:
Hi,

Message 11 of 43
chirpa
Luminary

Leia wrote:
Cloud you please tell me which f/w version and nas model you used?
By reading his active posts, it is a ReadyNAS 104 with 6.0.4 firmware on it. He already got Transmission running anyways, bypassing the Genie 'store'.

It is clear to see on these forums the feedback of Genie, not to mention the smbbeta private forums. The Product Managers need step up and take action.

Here are a few examples:
viewtopic.php?t=70332 viewtopic.php?t=70655 viewtopic.php?t=70125
viewtopic.php?t=70562 viewtopic.php?t=70558 viewtopic.php?t=70514
Message 12 of 43
tiranor
Aspirant

ReadyNAS OSv6 almost works better on legacy products than the new line 😄
Message 13 of 43
AMRivlin
Apprentice

tiranor wrote:
ReadyNAS OSv6 almost works better on legacy products than the new line 😄

Sounds about par for the course
Message 14 of 43
Govnah
Aspirant

Rebooted my RN516 tonight and once rebooted reported that HTOP was uninstalled, WTF? This is the second time this has happened on RN516 w/ 6.04.

Any ideas?
Message 15 of 43
chirpa
Luminary

Govnah wrote:
Rebooted my RN516 tonight and once rebooted reported that HTOP was uninstalled, WTF? This is the second time this has happened on RN516 w/ 6.04.
You're not alone, others having that happen too;
viewtopic.php?t=70558
viewtopic.php?t=70562
viewtopic.php?p=393080#p393080
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70780
Message 16 of 43
Govnah
Aspirant

This seems 1/2 baked. Had to have Darth SSH into my RN516 to enable/fix the APPs tab, today in the logs I see "Volume: System volume 'root' usage is 95 %. This condition should not occur in normal conditions. Please contact technical support" (no idea why) and now this. I am on my second RN516, this first one the LCD/fron panel was defective.

I am about to the end of my rope........
Message 17 of 43
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Contact Darth again, I guess. If a bug is causing your 4GB OS partition to fill up they will want to get this addressed so that others don't run into this issue.
Message 18 of 43
Govnah
Aspirant

Just checked and looks good now no idea why...

rootfs 4192192 909388 2617996 26% /

I will shoot Darth a PM as that is a little worrisome. Feel like a beta tester.
Message 19 of 43
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Perhaps some temporary files nearly filled it. But that is worrisome. Temporary files on the OS partition shouldn't go close to filling it.
Message 20 of 43
Govnah
Aspirant

....and what do you know, the same issue I had NTGR/Darth address last week is back f$%k!!!!! Addon/HTOP uninstalled and when I click on the Apps tab, nothing but a spinning wheel.

I think I'm done, may request a RMA tomorrow and wait until the bugs are addressed.
Message 21 of 43
Govnah
Aspirant

Govnah wrote:
This seems 1/2 baked. Had to have Darth SSH into my RN516 to enable/fix the APPs tab, today in the logs I see "Volume: System volume 'root' usage is 95 %. This condition should not occur in normal conditions. Please contact technical support" (no idea why) and now this. I am on my second RN516, this first one the LCD/fron panel was defective.

I am about to the end of my rope........

Plex Media server is causing rootfs volume to fill up. I was watching a movie during that time period and just started another and noticed the rootfs volume to increase:

rootfs 4192192 1127888 2400224 32% /

...and that is only 5 minutes of watching a movie via Plex.

Stopped plex and back to normal:

rootfs 4192192 910004 2617484 26% /
Message 22 of 43
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you know where on the OS partition Plex is storing these files temporarily?

The solution to the issue used for 4.2.x doesn't appear to be used on ReadyNAS OS 6 at this time.
Message 23 of 43
Govnah
Aspirant

This is just a guess, done for the night work in the AM....

root@ReadyNAS_516:/apps/plexmediaserver/MediaLibrary/Plex Media Server/Logs#
Message 24 of 43
chirpa
Luminary

Its a tricky area to get a fix. NTGR will blame Plex, Plex will make a fix right away if needed, but since its pre-installed, we would have to wait for the next 6.0.5/etc to have it included.

Darth Vader wrote:
Please understand that ReadyNAS is just hosting the app, so if you have any issue with the app itself, please contact the developer (Author).

It looks like Plex does store some transcode files in /tmp/, which would trigger the issue you've encountered.
Message 25 of 43
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements