× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Confused about credentials.

Digital999
Luminary

Confused about credentials.

I have received conflicting info from the Technical Support folks and I am getting inconsistent results in our testing.

Issue #1  Read Only share

The intention is to establish a ‘read only’ type share.  All data is available but no changes allowed.

Two shares

Share 1 with SMB and Rsync access and read only access for all but admin.

Share 2 with SMB and Rsync access and read only access for all but admin.

Using FileExplorer I cannot access Share 1 – get a pop-up window from Windows Security asking for Username and Password.  Whos’ username and password – the windows user or ReadyNAS?

Using FileExplorer I can access Share 2 – no popup window and any attempt to change the info is thwarted.  That is the expected result.

I do not know how I get these two different results.

Issue #2 – More than one Admin?

The technical support folks say that there can only be one ‘admin’ for the ReadyNAS system.  That individual must logon via the local GUI.  Absent a valid local GUI logon the system cannot be managed and configured. 

Is this correct or are there other circumstances that the CSR did not understand?

Model: RN626X|ReadyNAS 626X – 6 Bays with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Digital999
Luminary

Re: Confused about credentials.

Ignore the post. 

Apparently I was the victim of  an untrained CSR.  I found the correct answer. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Digital999
Luminary

Re: Confused about credentials.

Ignore the post. 

Apparently I was the victim of  an untrained CSR.  I found the correct answer. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements