× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to install BitTorrent Sync 2.0?

nsne
Virtuoso

How to install BitTorrent Sync 2.0?

I'm having a heckuva time installing the new BitTorrent Sync 2.0 alpha/beta on my ReadyNAS.

All the downloads available from this page come in a tar.gz format that unzips to reveal a .bin executable file. Simply replacing the .bin executable for the existing 1.4 version — installed from the ReadyNAS Apps menu — does not work (and in fact, that method doesn't even work with 1.x –> 1.x versions). But I'm not entirely sure how to carry out installs that aren't .deb files uploaded manually via the GUI.

Can anyone give me a step by step? I'd really like to give 2.0 a full test across all my devices.
Message 1 of 20
super_poussin
Virtuoso

Re: How to install BitTorrent Sync 2.0?

There's an addon for btsync

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Message 2 of 20
nsne
Virtuoso

Yes, but it's not 2.0. It's only 1.4. I should have thought you would know that, super-poussin.
Message 3 of 20
super_poussin
Virtuoso

Take a look in community Dropbox

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Message 4 of 20
nsne
Virtuoso

Great! Thanks, s-p!
Message 5 of 20
nsne
Virtuoso

What's the default password for the admin setup page?

EDIT: Nevermind. It had held over one of my settings from last time, so I had to delete that to use the default.
Message 6 of 20
nsne
Virtuoso

Is there a built-in expiration to BTSync 2.0? On the same day I was prompted to update all my other beta builds on OS X and iOS, the ReadyNAS version stopped working. Reinstalling resulted in the same error.

Message 7 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There is no built in expiry to apps for the ReadyNAS.

What version of ReadyNAS OS are you running?
Message 8 of 20
nsne
Virtuoso

I'm running 6.2.3 beta 7.
Message 9 of 20
nsne
Virtuoso

This is great. The most up-to-date 2.0 release of BitTorrent sync is currently available natively for every other NAS system except ReadyNAS.

Super-Poussin's version still isn't working on 6.2.3b8. Same "application failed to initialize" error.
Message 10 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is the app working on 6.2.2?
Message 11 of 20
avarabyeu
Guide

mdgm wrote:
Is the app working on 6.2.2?

BitTorrentSync v.1.4.103 works fine on 6.2.2.
But question about why Netgear is only one NAS vendor who do not update BtSync to 2.0 is still open.
Guys, please, update addon, because 1.4 is not fully compatible with new 2.0 and, moreover, BitTorrent completely removed old versions (<2.0) from their site, so there is no way to have everything working stable. Thanks in advance!

UPD. Updated it manually. Just download tarball of new version from Bittorrent site, disable addon, copy new version to /apps/btsync/bin/arm or /apps/btsync/bin (depending on your architecture) and enable addon.
Message 12 of 20
nsne
Virtuoso

I tried that in the past and it didn't work. Will give it another go.

EDIT: What file are you copying? Just the .bin executable?

EDIT2: And which version should we download from the BTSync site? Linux i386?

EDIT3: I downloaded the Linux i386 tarball, unzipped it, copied the .bin executable to /apps/btsync/bin, and I'm still getting the "Application failed to initialize" error.
Message 13 of 20
super_poussin
Virtuoso

BTsync addon is managed by BTsync team itself I was doing it in the past and answer to a few request but the btsync team is in charge of the addon I provide my sources to them a long time ago
Message 14 of 20
super_poussin
Virtuoso

they also put a timer bomb in previous beta so the beta expire on february 28.

will produce a new version to help the community, so check the community dropbox
Message 15 of 20
nsne
Virtuoso

Thanks, S-P. I even directed the BTSync team to your "community" version in their beta-testing forums so they could see how it's done, but clearly they have no sense of urgency when it comes to bringing the app to ReadyNAS.
Message 16 of 20
super_poussin
Virtuoso

I have made a lot of change in the addon to handle new has model 😛 so if they use my old scripts it won't work 😛
Message 17 of 20
nsne
Virtuoso

Your new version works beautifully, S-P. Merci, merci, merci.
Message 18 of 20
super_poussin
Virtuoso

you're welcome -- Merci 🙂
Message 19 of 20
avarabyeu
Guide

I tried that in the past and it didn't work. Will give it another go.

nsne wrote:
EDIT: What file are you copying? Just the .bin executable?

Yes, just executable file. In my case it have no extension.
nsne wrote:
EDIT2: And which version should we download from the BTSync site? Linux i386?
EDIT3: I downloaded the Linux i386 tarball, unzipped it, copied the .bin executable to /apps/btsync/bin, and I'm still getting the "Application failed to initialize" error.

This is actually depends on your ReadyNAS device. What is name of your one? I have ReadyNAS 102 and it's based on ARM, so i downloaded ARM tarball
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements