× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Microsoft Explorer Spins Up Disks

JosephAE
Aspirant

Microsoft Explorer Spins Up Disks

When I open a Microsoft Explorer window on my computer the network attached NAS disks immediate spin up.  Other that turning off the NAS is there a method to inhibit Microsoft Explorer from access the NAS so the disks continue to sleep?

Message 1 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Microsoft Explorer Spins Up Disks

I assume you mean Windows Explorer and that you are opening it at the "My Computer" level.  If you have shares mapped as drives, then I don't believe that is possible, as Windows does an inquiry as to the status of the "drive", including a check of used and free space.  The NAS wakes up the drives to make that determination.

An option would be to not have the drive mapping(s) permanent, but enable them only when you need to.  A couple of batch files could be used to connect and disconnect, and there may be an application that does it, too.

Message 2 of 6
JosephAE
Aspirant

Yes Windows Explorer.  Sorry for not being clearer.  Thanks for replying.

The NAS drives are not mapped to my computer or any device on the home network.

Any time I open Windows Explorer the NAS disks will spin up if they had been asleep.

Does Windows Explorer store some kind of history and if the NAS had at one time been mapped Windows Explorer goes out and looks for it again?

Or when Windows Explorer opens does it send out an inquiry for the status of everything on the network?

Thanks for the help.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

It does actively look for network devices when you first click on the network icon in the left pane.  I don't think it will do that if the network devices aren't being displayed in the main pane, but I am not sure about that.

Message 4 of 6
likeman
Aspirant

the only thing i can think of its Quick Access shortcuts and make sure network is not expanded 

right click on it and at the bottom untick show recant and show frequent, as the history function is likely probing stuff you opened before

i am new on here ,, i didn't actually know Netgear did NAS until like 3-4 weeks ago, i now i have 2 Netgear 2120 units for testing (note to self never buy any used NAS without trays as the trays are costing me more then what i paid for the actual nas's, also netgear does not sell parts)

Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

The 2120, like most of the current rack-mount systems, appears to be manufactured by Chenbro, and a number of Chenbro caddies work and are available on eBay.  See this message: /Rack-mount-ReadyNAS-drive-caddy-replacement-spares .  Their newest toolless design also looks like it will work, but I have not tried them.  But it does lack 2.5" drive capability, if that matters to you.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements